Subject: The seer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'd like to point out something t all those well meaning gamemasters (without whom we couldn't have so much fun!): The seer is NOT the anti-christ. We've been playing this game (or at least I have) since the Clinton years in some form or other, and the seer was ALWAYS there. The witch, usually, the hunter, mostly, but the seer was sacrosanct, as he/she should be. Then I miss 2 WBCs in a row and return to fig that GMs have decided the Seer is a plague carrying beaker of death and in return, they give the villagers.....2 masons; or....a bodyguard. Big fat hairy deal. I learned what a lousy deal was in my first game of Pit. Maybe someone has crunched the numbers (as they did may moons ago in Columbus OH to find, incorrectly, that the village should always kill someone on the first night). But that same failed logic works for thinking any character is better than the seer. Maybe some GMs just like seeing the village lose--I don't know. I am saying that a Werewolf game with no seer, is not a werewolf game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find playing with the Ghost is just as powerful as the seer in my circle of friends. I still play with the seer, but you don't always need one.
P.S. as long as the are WEREWOLVES in Werewolf then it will be a game of Werewolf ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At my game, the Seer is a staple character. Every now and then we take the Seer out to spice things up. But it is rare.

Often when I do this, I do not tell people there is no Seer. It really makes things interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The supposed original version of Mafia had no Seer-type character and the designer said that the Seer lessens the quality of the game.

The game is about bluffing and detecting bluffs through skill, not by being told who is bluffing.

The Seer doesn't totally ruin games, as WW can be fun regardless, but pure Wolf is just villagers and werewolves. Most other roles are just window dressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.