Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching some videos of Gen Con and saw a few price stickers on some of the games. Most were full retail. Do people typically pay these prices at conventions or do they offer specials? For some reason I was thinking that you could get discounted games there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't go, but I think the majority of games were on some sort of discount. I think most prices were discounts, but not equal to online prices since you could skip the shipping aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The years I went to Origins the deals were few and far between. Almost everything was at retail or only slightly below (but often required purchasing several items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Publishers sell games strictly at retail prices. Some of the retailer booths sell games at lower prices, but only older games. New or newer games are retail price even at discount vendors.

However, some of the publishers, such as Flying Frog, usually offer convention specials in terms of add-ons and special items. I bought A Touch of Evil and The Coast, and Flying Frog had special promo cards and a signed art print for the specific games you purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games are at retail prices. Perhaps unexpectedly it is the smaller publishers that will sometimes mark down games at the cons. Stronghold knocked a few dollars off each of their games. Fantasy Flight charges retail plus tax with no discounts even on Sunday.

Cool Stuff was there and they had some deep discounts on Sunday. I picked up Abaddon for $23. They pretty much kept marking stuff down until it was all gone except for copies of Trajan. Asmodee also had Sunday discounts. There was a place that sold Rio Grand games for a discount.

I understand why publishers can't undercut their own retail prices, but I'm surprised there aren't more bonuses of some sort for paying retail. Still, they seem to sell plenty. There was always a line at FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
pomomojo wrote:
Most games are at retail prices. Perhaps unexpectedly it is the smaller publishers that will sometimes mark down games at the cons. Stronghold knocked a few dollars off each of their games. Fantasy Flight charges retail plus tax with no discounts even on Sunday.

Cool Stuff was there and they had some deep discounts on Sunday. I picked up Abaddon for $23. They pretty much kept marking stuff down until it was all gone except for copies of Trajan. Asmodee also had Sunday discounts. There was a place that sold Rio Grand games for a discount.

I understand why publishers can't undercut their own retail prices, but I'm surprised there aren't more bonuses of some sort for paying retail. Still, they seem to sell plenty. There was always a line at FFG.

FFG indicated in their In-Flight Report that they don't discount at the convention because they don't want to undercut their retailers. But they also don't offer any convention-only perks, like Flying Frog or other publishers. None of these things really stop people from buying stuff like crazy at the convention though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically it's mostly full retail as publishers don't like to undercut their customers. There are discount houses as well, and prices do indeed go down on Sunday. One could collect Mayfair ribbons to receive a 50% discount, which was nice. Discounts on good stuff are to be found, but they are by no means greater then good deals available on line. There is plenty of clearance stock, and that's the stuff that got blown out on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverBulletKY wrote:
I was watching some videos of Gen Con and saw a few price stickers on some of the games. Most were full retail. Do people typically pay these prices at conventions or do they offer specials? For some reason I was thinking that you could get discounted games there.

If you want to buy from a publisher, you can expect full retail. At GenCon 2012, the best deals to be had were from CSI where they sold at their online prices. There were some games that were in clearance sections at various booths...some were ok deals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At Origins 2011, Asmodee had a kickin' ding & dent pile of their top games. Most of the box damage ranged from inconsequential to practically nonexistent. In other words, hardly worth noticing. That said, they were selling these games for as much as half off.

I picked up Ca$h 'n Gun$ for a mere $20, and that included tax. I'm still not sure where the ding/dent is in my copy.

Went looking for that fantastic sale again this year, but nothing! Asmodee really disappointed me.

At Origins this year, some company that may or may not have been connected to Rio Grande was blowing out Rio Grande games at unheard of prices. I think Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers was $6. San Juan was $11. Puerto Rico was $20. Like I said, crazy low prices, and not ding & dent either! But I've never seen anything emotely that low before at a con, so I was seriously surprised. For 90% of games at a con, though, expect MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
Yes chieftain?
badge
Let's ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolstuffinc had stuff for sale at good discounts at Gen Con. The only thing I took advantage of was Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers for $10 and Puerto Rico for $15 from the Rio Grande seller.

Unless something was steeply discounted, I didn't have much interest in purchasing it. I live in Indy, so any game I bought had to be carried with me all day until I made it back to the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Most of the ones I've seen have been retail price, often times a store will have a special bundle price or something.

I almost never buy at a convention because then I'd have to carry it around all day or run back to the hotel room. While I'm at a convention I'm usually quite busy and won't have time to play it anyways so I might as well wait and buy it at my FLGS or online.

The only real exception is if it is an "indie" game that may have a very small print run of if there are convention only exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mugio wrote:

I almost never buy at a convention because then I'd have to carry it around all day or run back to the hotel room.

OTOH, I've always managed to swing some really sweet deals at conventions on the last day, because that's a couple less products they have to carry back to the truck when they pack up the exhibition hall.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New games are MSRP.

Older games can be found much cheaper. Many below online prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdpotter wrote:
New games are MSRP.

Older games can be found much cheaper. Many below online prices.

Yup, this is what I've found as well. Also keep in mind that retailers like Cool Stuff cannot carry games from publishers that are there selling games, like FFG or Asmodee.

But heck, if you're able to buy a game at retail and know that the money is going directly to that publisher and not a middle man, wouldn't you want to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What I've seen:

Newly released games = MSRP

Newer games < 1 y.o. = MSRP

Popular games > 1 y.o. but < 2 y.o.
= MSRP

Less popular games > 1 y.o. but < 2 y.o. = Slightly under MSRP, but OLGS still cheaper

Popular games > 2 y.o. but < 4 y.o. = Slightly under MSRP, but OLGS still cheaper

Less popular games > 2 y.o. but < 4 y.o. = Discounted, about equal to OLGS

Popular games > 4 y.o = Discounted, may be less than OLGS near con end

Less popular games > 4 y.o = Deeply discounted, especially near con end

Herein lies the problem:

Newer games < 1 y.o. = MSRP

Popular games > 1 y.o. but < 2 y.o.
= MSRP

That's the two categories many of us find most appealing. Notice the lack of discounting. Now you can play the capitalism card and say that it's a case of supply and demand, and you would be right. But it doesn't change the fact that these are games no one is selling below MSRP. I will also contend that when you see buy lists from people who go to cons, these are two of the three categories they are buying most often, with the third being the brand new releases. And we know those aren't being discounted even a cent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.