France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Here are a few simple questions after the reading of the rulebook (I haven't played the game yet) :

- The game ends at the beginning of your turn if you've placed all 5 of your Tardis tokens, but these are placed out of your turn. If you have more than 5 locations, and both a fifth and a sixth is attacked and successfully defended between two of you turns. How do you mark this sixth protected location ? If you don't, does it take your adversaries just to attack one of your protected places (and remove one of the tardis counters) for the game not to end at the beginning of your next turn as if this sixth area had never been attacked ? And what about making a fifth and a sixth attack on different adversary locations ? Sixth is forbidden ?

- The rules say that "you may perform as many actions as you want", and that "each action action is discrete and can be performed more than once during your turn". It also says that "As an action you can discard one or two cards, placing them to the discard pile. You take one Time Point for each card you discard." So we may understand that we could discard as many cards for Time Points as we want, in several actions. But I guess this is actually intended to mean that a player cannot spend more than two cards per turn for Time Points. This specific action is an exception, it's an action that cannot be repeated in the same turn, right ?

Best regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a third question. Can you trigger the end game with the game end card but end the game with 5 tardis or dalek counters in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are good questions. The following is my opinion only - I agree that the rules are not entirely clear on these issues.

Duncan wrote:
The game ends at the beginning of your turn if you've placed all 5 of your Tardis tokens, but these are placed out of your turn. If you have more than 5 locations, and both a fifth and a sixth is attacked and successfully defended between two of you turns. How do you mark this sixth protected location ? If you don't, does it take your adversaries just to attack one of your protected places (and remove one of the tardis counters) for the game not to end at the beginning of your next turn as if this sixth area had never been attacked ? And what about making a fifth and a sixth attack on different adversary locations ? Sixth is forbidden ?

From the few games I have played, I think that this is unlikely to arise. Nevertheless, we need to know what should happen in such an event. It seems to me that there are three possibilities.

1. No Tardis token is placed - thematically, even the Doctor can "protect" only so many different locations at once.
2. You could choose to take a Tardis token from any other location to place (presumably because the new location is worth more VP). This is not in the rules. Thematically, it is my "development" of point 1.
3. You use something else to mark the 6th Tardis - this seems untidy and goes against the main notion that the number of tokens is fixed.

It would be good to have official clarification. Until then I am going to play with Point 2.

Duncan wrote:

- The rules say that "you may perform as many actions as you want", and that "each action action is discrete and can be performed more than once during your turn". It also says that "As an action you can discard one or two cards, placing them to the discard pile. You take one Time Point for each card you discard." So we may understand that we could discard as many cards for Time Points as we want, in several actions. But I guess this is actually intended to mean that a player cannot spend more than two cards per turn for Time Points. This specific action is an exception, it's an action that cannot be repeated in the same turn, right

This is a little more straightforward, but I agree not entirely clear. Here is my reading. It is important to note that once the "Game Ends" card is revealed, players may only take one action per turn. Therefore, once in the End Game phase a player can discard 1-2 cards as one action. Up until that point, I think you could take the "Discard" action as many times as you like - although it is likely to be limited by the injunction never to go below 3 cards.

Rokkr wrote:
Here's a third question. Can you trigger the end game with the game end card but end the game with 5 tardis or dalek counters in play?

This is asked in http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/846219/end-game-clarificatio.... For now, I think it makes most sense for the game to end immediately (even in the End Game phase) if a player starts his turn with no Dalek or Tardis tokens available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with these thoughts.

I finally played the game last night, and thought of another issue...

I believe that taking back in hand cards from the reserve is not an action, but putting one card in the reserve is. When in the end game segment, what prevents a player from taking a card back in hand from the reserve, and as his action, just putting it in his reserve ? If you see where this goes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
I agree with these thoughts.

I finally played the game last night, and thought of another issue...

I believe that taking back in hand cards from the reserve is not an action, but putting one card in the reserve is. When in the end game segment, what prevents a player from taking a card back in hand from the reserve, and as his action, just putting it in his reserve ? If you see where this goes...

I think it requires a house rule: no player may put a card into reserve once the end game has started. Otherwise this is ridiculous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The rules say that "you may perform as many actions as you want", and that "each action action is discrete and can be performed more than once during your turn". It also says that "As an action you can discard one or two cards, placing them to the discard pile. You take one Time Point for each card you discard." So we may understand that we could discard as many cards for Time Points as we want, in several actions. But I guess this is actually intended to mean that a player cannot spend more than two cards per turn for Time Points. This specific action is an exception, it's an action that cannot be repeated in the same turn, right ?

You could do this action twice if you've just bought some cards with time points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

Another good question. Many things like this not mentioned in the rulebook.

We played that you could win via 5 tokens, after the end game started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:

Whoa, hold your horses there !
5 tokens is an immediate game ending, but not an automatic winning. You still have to count points...

As for the house rule, "no player may put a card into reserve once the end game has started" is too harsh. You have to authorize the play of a card in one's reserve for its effect (such as U.N.I.T. for instance). But also it's forbidden to take such a card back in hand and play it again. So, it's all to be resumed in one simple rule : "No passing, and no clever trick which could be the same as passing."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

Whoa, hold your horses there !
5 tokens is an immediate game ending, but not an automatic winning. You still have to count points...

As for the house rule, "no player may put a card into reserve once the end game has started" is too harsh. You have to authorize the play of a card in one's reserve for its effect (such as U.N.I.T. for instance). But also it's forbidden to take such a card back in hand and play it again. So, it's all to be resumed in one simple rule : "No passing, and no clever trick which could be the same as passing."

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you require a 'sixth' Tardis or Dalek counter then you would need to take one from somewhere else. In the case of a Dalek counter this would mean discarding the cards that the Dalek counter was on.

The wording of the rule on exchanging cards for time points is to stop a player dumping his hand during the end game period (where you have one action at a time) and ending the game prematurely. During normal play you can perform the action as many times as you wish.

In theory you could place cards in your reserve during the end game period, but I do not see how this would benefit you. Passing simply grants the remaining players an advantage, as you either want to be attacking, placing, or defending locations and running your cards out as quickly as possible.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
In theory you could place cards in your reserve during the end game period, but I do not see how this would benefit you. Passing simply grants the remaining players an advantage, as you either want to be attacking, placing, or defending locations and running your cards out as quickly as possible.

But you often don't want to play your very last card before anyone else plays their last card(s). If you have a Location you want to play it as late as possible (i.e. after someone else has played their last card) to avoid it being attacked. If you have an Enemy you may be waiting for a last Location to be played so you can attack that. Allowing passing could result in a Mexican stand-off.

If anyone tried to exploit the Reserve as a means of passing, I think we'd have to House Rule it (e.g. you cannot place any card except UNIT in your reserve once the End Game Period has started).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.