Allen Nelson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
As title states, looking to add a longer playing game to my collection that is still not too heavy that me and my wife can play together (plus occasionely my son). Am thinking maybe Mansions of Madness or some such but not sure. If you have time look over my collection and ratings for suggestions. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

You really need to add The Castles of Burgundy to your collection. It's a favorite in my family. Excellent 2-player game and scales very well to 3-players. It's a hit whenever and where ever I bring it to the table.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. The Simple Game can be played in under 2 hours, and if you'd like to go on longer than that you have the Advanced Game and the Full Game as well. You seem to enjoy euros, and this is one of my favourites. Lots of wooden bits, but not nearly as complicated as it looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Nelson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Castles of Burgundy is a game Ive definitely been considering. Was looking more though for a slightly longer game in the 2-3 hr range. Burgundy though is definitely on my shortlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Nelson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
yes this may be the ticket. I love Sid Meiers PC games so this may work. My play is somewhat stronger than my wifes. Is there good mechanisms in this game to keep it close and interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Take a look at Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. The Simple Game can be played in under 2 hours, and if you'd like to go on longer than that you have the Advanced Game and the Full Game as well. You seem to enjoy euros, and this is one of my favourites. Lots of wooden bits, but not nearly as complicated as it looks.

Nothing about this game is "light" by any definition of the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is "longer"? 2 hours? 4 hours? What do you mean by light (i.e. what games do you like now?)? How old is your son?

Mansions of Madness is quite long - probably over 4 hours for your first game. If you are looking for something attractive with a story behind it that isn't quite so labor intensive, perhaps Last Night on Earth, Arabian Nights, or The Adventurers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Nelson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
ok thanks for the response! By long I mean 2-3 hours. My son is 15 so he can handle anything we play. Thanks for the tip on Civilization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd +1 for The Castles of Burgundy. We just picked it up at Gen Con and have can't stop playing it. My wife's new favorite!

I'd also suggest you consider Innovation, which was our pick at Origins and became our most played game in June and July.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since MoM and Civ was mentioned, Merchants & Marauders could also work. It's thematic like the others. Handles 3 well, and 3 player would still put it around the 3 hour mark. Weight is 3.1 so it's not too brain burning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely +1 The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador might interest you. It and Castles of Burgundy are both good games, though perhaps a bit under 2 hours. Maybe Agricola.

You've played San Juan, and you like card games, so maybe Race for the Galaxy (though still not a 2-hour game).

My 2-3 hour games are Splotter games (Roads & Boats), which are OOP and expensive, and probably a bit more than you're looking for. Once you hit the 2-hour mark, a lot of games get a bit heavy. There are some good medium weight games in the 90-min range, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is it. Tough to find a light game that lasts over 2 hours. Games that take that long get into the heavy category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The End of the Triumvirate, it's one of the best 3 player games I've seen.

Also Survive is a lot of fun, I've been playing it for over 20 years.

For 2 players take a look at the Kosmos 2 player line. Caesar & Cleopatra is my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.