Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Checkpoint Calvi an unexpected gem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Finally assembled this print & play scenario that I downloaded years ago, probably from the L'n'L website. I cannot resist scenarios with unusual combatants and, with the French Foreign Legion facing off against Ivorian rebels how could I possibly resist giving it a spin?

For the French to prevail they must inflict losses and limit their own very carefully, as the rebels earn twice as many VPs for an eliminated MMC/SMC or captured weapon. The rebels may also earn VPs for capturing and controlling a bunker, exiting units off the south edge of the map and bonus points for eliminating the FFL AFV. The rebels can put the hurt on in a lot of ways.

By turn 5 things looked mighty grim for the Legionnaires after the rebel player rolled boxcars in melee, destroying a FFL stack, capturing one of their formidable Minimi support weapons and gaining control of the bunker.
The French refused to stay down, though, and established good vantage points with their remaining units with some decent fire lanes and, briefly, LOS to some key hexes into which spotting rounds were lobbed.

Just as the Ivorian rebels lucked out in melee, so did the French when they gained initiative in Turn 7, flipping a spotting round to FFE before the adjacent rebels could melt back into the forest, shaking and reducing an entire stack.

Carefully choosing their targets and maintaining strong positions, the French managed to pick away at the rebels, a half squad here, a half squad there. On their last impulse the last remaining FFL MMC low crawled into a hex containing two orphaned RPDs, gaining the French player two points and enough to earn a tie.

Great scenario. The rebel has loads of choices, several ways to win. The French have a much more static situation but have to remain alert and prepared to respond to threats all over the board.
We'll play it again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up!

The original Checkpoint Calvi.

The expanded Checkpoint Calvi.

My No Excuses, Any Idiot Can Do This, Takes Less Time Than Watching An Episode of Bridezillas Guide to Making (Checkpoint Calvi) PnP games.

(Scroll down a little bit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ZombieMark wrote:

Note LOF 12 also has Nicaraguan units...no... really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed this scenario up and will try it next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
I had no idea there was a larger effort available.

Cannot unzip it, however. Hate .rar files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mo...go to download.com... download a RAR program...unpack it...easy at pie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks Mark - I got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very welcome, but you are correct. The world would be a better place if everyone just used Winzip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Aw, y'know, WINrar works pretty smoothly 8½ times out of 10, but when it fails it fails hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.