ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know which wargame - board, minatures, card or dice - is the highest ranked on BBG? Is there a Top Ten List? I imagine RISK and AXIS & ALLIES are on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wargames/browse/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
Anyone know which wargame - board, minatures, card or dice - is the highest ranked on BBG? Is there a Top Ten List? I imagine RISK and AXIS & ALLIES are on there.

Risk ?

Axis & Allies ?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
rozar5 wrote:

Risk ?

Axis & Allies ?

shake

Well, let's have some fun with this...The top ranked 'wargame' on BGG is Twilight Struggle, even though it's not even a wargame (no - it's not, so don't even try). At least both RISK and AXIS & ALLIES have armies that fight in them, something noticably absent from TS. Then, of course, BGG does not consider RISK a wargame at all, but rather a STRATEGY GAME, based on the eminently logical process of having people vote on the matter of which category a game should belong. Finally, the highest ranked version of Axis & Allies here at BGG is Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition, coming in at a very respectible 57th place in the wargame rankings. Frankly, I'll probably agree with the people who question whether or not RISK is a wargame, but there is no question that AXIS & ALLIES is a wargame, albeit one which is decidedly on the lighter side of the spectrum.

Like a lot of people around here who have been playing wargames for a long time, I don't put much stock into the BGG wargame ratings, and I'd advise the OP to do the same. There's just too much noise in these so-called ratings to make much use of them, as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
rozar5 wrote:

Risk ?

Axis & Allies ?

shake

It looks like some of the recently-published, highest-ranked light wargames would be

Wings of War: Famous Aces
Hold the Line
Memoir '44
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Ikusa
Washington's War
Julius Caesar
Duel in the Dark
Twilight Struggle
Dust

It really depends what types of games you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
BGG does not consider RISK a wargame at all, but rather a STRATEGY GAME, based on the eminently logical process of having people vote on the matter of which category a game should belong.

Actually it does. Risk is ranked 1,864 in wargames although it has more votes as a family game. Strategy game comes in third on the subdomain poll.

rozar5 wrote:
Is there a Top Ten List? I imagine RISK and AXIS & ALLIES are on there.

I think the wargame genre of our hobby is much more evolved than you think. As mentioned Risk is only 1,864 on the wargames list. The highest ranked Axis and Allies edition is Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition which comes in at 57.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the list I was searching for. Thank you, Jim! I appreciate the info and opinions from all who replied. I agree that RISK and A&A are very light wargames and, of the other TOP TEN, I have yet to play any of them.
I need to work on my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
...of the other TOP TEN, I have yet to play any of them.
I need to work on my collection.
Contact a wargamer near you. You will have a willing partner in playing wargames. And you won't need to buy anything until you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Well, let's have some fun with this...The top ranked 'wargame' on BGG is Twilight Struggle, even though it's not even a wargame (no - it's not, so don't even try). At least both RISK and AXIS & ALLIES have armies that fight in them, something noticably absent from TS. Then, of course, BGG does not consider RISK a wargame at all, but rather a STRATEGY GAME, based on the eminently logical process of having people vote on the matter of which category a game should belong...

The "Is Twilight Stuggle a wargame?" issue has been argued before, but it boils down to what definition of a wargame one prefers. Personally, I prefer the definition in the BGG glossary, which requires combat between military units, something lacking in Twilight Stuggle. Interesting that people vote on categories on BGG, when there are also definitions in the BGG glossary of the different types of games.

The BGG glossary definition, combined with that ranking, makes Paths of Glory the highest ranked wargame, i.e., a game involving combat between military units. Probably deserves that rank too, as it is a fabulous and amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger, where are you in Tennessee? I only know that a couple of decades ago there was a strong wargame club in Knoxville. I met a lot of the people that I play with now in Oregon through BGG. You can even just start a thread here titled, "Any wargamers near ......, Tennessee?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Warren. I am in the Oak Ridge area and I think I know of the club you are talking about. There was a gaming store called "The Yankee Peddler" in Concord/Farragut community. I believe those fellows are still active although they may be primarily into miniatures gaming.
Thanks for the input. I am going to check out Paths Of Glory right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
I am going to check out Paths Of Glory right now.

Very good game. Maybe not a good introduction wargame, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
rozar5 wrote:

Risk ?

Axis & Allies ?

shake

Just joking ...

Most wargamers have played Risk and Axis & Allies at least once in their lifetime.

Now, SHOULD these two games be in the Top Ten ... ?

Here is one way of looking at the big picture: In a very measurable way, each of the top 100 wargames in the BGG list have been highly successful in reaching their target audience.

In the top 15 games you have Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 and Advanced Squad Leader, two games which have been developed with a totally different kind of gamer in mind. One game aims to provide the ultimate gaming experience in complexity and variability, the other's mission statement is to provide an introductory-level programmed-instruction game to people who have never played a wargame in their lives.
According to the ratings and comments, both seem to succeed admirably well in accomplishing their self-appointed goals.

Naturally,the overall wargame crowd is VERY heterogenous. For instance, over 10 000 voters agree that the wargame
Twilight Struggle is an excellent game.

The truth of it, is that each individual has to discover, through trial and error, what kind of wargamer he really is. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
The truth of it, is that each individual has to discover, through trial and error, what kind of wargamer he really is. arrrh
It's that kind of reasonable appeal to the real that often shuts down conversations here. I hope it works again! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.