Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really liking this game, but I have one question.

All players have the same cards, so why each faction has 3 special powers, instead of having just one deck of powers, and then each player gets one (The faction doesn't matter)?

I believe it is just to make the theme stronger, but I'm hoping to see 120 special powers in the future, like in Cosmic Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gugadin wrote:
I'm really liking this game, but I have one question.

All players have the same cards, so why each faction has 3 special powers, instead of having just one deck of powers, and then each player gets one (The faction doesn't matter)?

I believe it is just to make the theme stronger, but I'm hoping to see 120 special powers in the future, like in Cosmic Encounter.

Hey -- it's good to see you here!
Well, yes. In fact, the way I play it is to shuffle all the powers together and then deal one to each player from the bottom of the pile. (Or blindly, from the top.) Either way, you get a random power.
(Although we generally still tie the power to the color -- thus if you get Green Power X, you're playing green this game, and I won't deal another green card to another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally start to write posts, instead of just read them.

I'm thinking about this, because if the color doesn't matter , it would only increase replayability, right?

One day I will want to play a game where two blue powers are in play. (the elite pilot, and the one shooting with a range of 10 spaces)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, so far, I don't see any problem with having more than one power of the same color in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
There probably isn't any issue with mixing the powers. Most of the game was playtested with perhaps 9 or 10 of the current 12 powers just mixed.

The reason for grouping the powers by races IS entirely thematic:
Earth has the best Fighter pilots.
The Valkyrie are all about super cap ships and weapons.
The Vonyans are a Puppeteer or Spathi-like race with all propulsion tech.
The Dreckach are um....everything else. Originally, I had thought of them more like the grey Arilou from Star Control.

The last rounds of playtesting with all of the powers were all done with the current 4x3 power grouping, so there might be some weird interaction hiding that would require a bit of house ruling.

I do want to add more powers, however. My baseline for a power is that it should be about 5-6 points on average of your final score. That is modified based on a subjective basis of how useful the power is for things which are not scores. When playtesting a new power, we track points that can be reasonably attributed to the use of a power by putting the ships on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, thanks guys.
As soon as I finish pimping my game I will start to create my own powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.