Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
They are often posted under "Reviews". They are not.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I consider them reviews. A review of the contents and quality of those components is just as valuable to me as a review of the game play. Some reviews have both. Plenty of reviews focus only on game play. I think it is just as valid to have reviews that focus only on the quality of the components.

-MMM
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Personally, I consider them reviews. A review of the contents and quality of those components is just as valuable to me as a review of the game play. Some reviews have both. Plenty of reviews focus only on game play. I think it is just as valid to have reviews that focus only on the quality of the components.

-MMM


Ah. I guess it's the usual lack of effort, slapped together feel, and fact that they are often spammed onto the site all at once that makes me feel they should be a separate kind of "review".

I have an extreme and unnaturally biased position though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
While I can see Unboxing videos as a sort of visual review of components, I do find myself wishing I could separate the wheat from the chaff, enabling myself to find the videos that actually go beyond showing off components and describing gameplay. I'm speaking of actual critique, something many amateur reviews are sorely lacking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
They are often posted under "Reviews". They are not.


+1 to this. I frankly don't consider unboxing videos as reviews (heck... I don't even find them too useful nor all that informative... Just an easy way to earn GG...).

Joel is correct! Making a separate category for them would be an improvement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And how many unboxing videos do we need per game? When people started receiving D-Day Dice, there were multiple unboxing videos put out their and all of them the same. One person receiving the KickStarter Line for Life shipment should be enough.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joey twoshoes
msg tools
mbmb
I am in total agreement with Joel.When you sit down at your computer to look up a review of a game are you looking for an unboxing of that game or something a lot more involved.A new category for unboxing is needed.Most reviews-the good ones for sure-offer that throut their review anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they have "unboxing" in the title, you know what you'll be getting.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbias84 wrote:
And how many unboxing videos do we need per game? When people started receiving D-Day Dice, there were multiple unboxing videos put out their and all of them the same. One person receiving the KickStarter Line for Life shipment should be enough.

Sorry, I think everyone was probably referring to my unboxing video. I just wanted to try my hand at doing some game videos for the first time. I usually take photos and post them on BGG, and the video was really just for me to see if I could make one, but I decided to brave it, and post it up on BGG for people to enjoy. I was thinking maybe if people enjoyed it, I'd try and make other videos.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that unboxing videos can be very useful, especially for games that don't have a lot of other videos or even photos. You still get a good idea of the components, what they look like, what size and quality they are, how they fit into the box etc. Probably not needed if there are already full reviews of the same game and in the same language.
But yes, a separate category would be nice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
dbias84 wrote:
And how many unboxing videos do we need per game? When people started receiving D-Day Dice, there were multiple unboxing videos put out their and all of them the same. One person receiving the KickStarter Line for Life shipment should be enough.

Sorry, I think everyone was probably referring to my unboxing video. I just wanted to try my hand at doing some game videos for the first time. I usually take photos and post them on BGG, and the video was really just for me to see if I could make one, but I decided to brave it, and post it up on BGG for people to enjoy. I was thinking maybe if people enjoyed it, I'd try and make other videos.


Mercedes. Your reviews are the exception to the rule. You provide some additional info.

I don't think people should stop making them all together. It's just their tends to be a lot of spam in the video category in general. It would be nice to be able to sort out what you are looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any need for unboxing videos, but I understand, some people like them - if they get thumbs, they are appreciated, aren't they?

So, a tag on a video ("Review" or "Unboxing"), like in the image section (which I can use as a filter), would be an addition I'd like.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't number of thumbs make it clear how relatively valuable various unboxing videos are?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Don't number of thumbs make it clear how relatively valuable various unboxing videos are?


Again. Not asking that they be removed. Just that they can have their own category under videos.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There should probably be another line of quality control past geekmod. Geekmod just asks if the video is a valid video covering some sort of game content. Almost everything submitted qualifies, and there is a huge difference between good/useful videos and videos that qualify under current restrictions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.