Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually am the one that learns rules, and usually get them right for most of games.
TTA is one of those games when even after multiple reads of the rules I still got many points wrong. The rules forum helped me identify most of them, but I am sure there are some hidden rules we still play wrong.

colonization

thumbsdown we played bidding for colonies like agression and wars including civilization strength
thumbsup correct rule: only sacrificed units/army and colonization bonus can be used to bid

consumption/corruption

thumbsdown we played that for cards that make your civilization "gain" resources or food you have to apply consumption/corruptiom
thumbsup correct rule: consumption and corruption are only applied during maintenance phase and when a card effect makes your mines or farms "produce" resources or food, unless effect specifies to ignore consumption/corruption.
(edit) when an effect (green or yellow card) make you produce food or ressources ignore consumption and corruption unless card says otherwise

lose/decrease population

thumbsdown we played that when instructed to lose population we remove a yellow token from yellow bank
thumbsup correct rule: move an unused worker if available to yellow bank or destroy a building or military unit then move token to yellow bank

end of age
thumbsup correct rule: at end of an age except age A, remove 2 yellow tokens from yellow bank

sacrificing units

thumbsdown when sacrificing units we only disbanded them and move the token to the unused workers pool
thumbsup correct rule: sacrificed units token should be moved to the yellow bank

limits

thumbsup correct rule: max 3 military cards drawn per turn
thumbsup correct rule: civil cards hand limitd to number of civil actions tokens
thumbsup correct rule: number of urban buildings (on gray tech cards) limited by your current government limit. the limit is independent of the level of the building. E.g if the limit is 3, you can only have 3 labs totally not 3 per lab card.

Uprising

thumbsdown probably the most misunderstood rule as the english translation is very confusing
thumbsup correct rule: you get uprising (no production) when the number of unhappy faces (revealed by an empty yellow bank section) exceeds the number of workers in unused workers pool.

Sounds simple enough but confusion arises because rules states that a yellow token on an unhappy face can be used to track "discontent" workers and that uprising occurs when you have more discontent workers than unused workers.

If you use yellow unused worker to track discontent workers, then the uprising rule is : after covering unhappy faces (revealed by empty yellow bank sections) with all your unused workers, if there are remaining unhappy faces then you get an uprising.
example :
2 unhappy faces, 2 unused = no uprising
2 unhappy faces covered by yellow token = no uprising
    the 2 previous example are actually the exact same, the only difference is how the player decides to track

2 unhappy faces, 1 unused = uprising
1 unhappy faced covered by yellow token, 1 unhappy face not covered = uprising
    the 2 previous example are actually the exact same, the only difference is how the player decides to track

Military units
whistle not so sure about this one : there seems to be some consensus around BGG that cards that give you resources to build military units should be read as "build/upgrade" since there are no cards in the game for upgrading military units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:

thumbsup correct rule: consumption and corruption are only applied during maintenance phase and when a card effect makes your mines or farms "produce" resources or food, unless effect specifies to ignore consumption/corruption.

This should read:
consumption and corruption are only applied during maintenance phase and when an event makes your mines and/or farms "produce" resources or food AND "do not ignore consumption/corruption" is written on that card.

Because there are some events that say ignore, others say do not ignore and some say nothing. These should be treated as if they said "ignore c&c@.

Heishiro1976 wrote:

Military units
whistle not so sure about this one : there seems to be some consensus around BGG that cards that give you resources to build military units should be read as "build/upgrade" since there are no cards in the game for upgrading military units.

You are correct. You can use these resources for upgrade and building. Some leaders give you discount for building units, this also applies to upgrading military units as well (e.g. Homer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobmelkus wrote:

Because there are some events that [...]say nothing. These should be treated as if they said "ignore c&c".

This interpretation seems not to be the consensus on BGG. Whenever card effect mentions that your civilization or mines/farms "produce" then by default consumption and corruption apply even if not specified.
However is your cvilization "gains" resources/food then no consumption or corruption apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
bobmelkus wrote:

Because there are some events that [...]say nothing. These should be treated as if they said "ignore c&c".

This interpretation seems not to be the consensus on BGG. Whenever card effect mentions that your civilization or mines/farms "produce" then by default consumption and corruption apply even if not specified.
However is your cvilization "gains" resources/food then no consumption or corruption apply.

I can't think of any card that says to 'produce' without specifying whether or not corruption occurs.

I don't think there are any. The only ones that say nothing are the ones that talk about 'gaining'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
let's not get complicated here. The only time consumption/corruption happen after an event is Economic Progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
let's not get complicated here. The only time consumption/corruption happen after an event is Economic Progress.

Which basically boils the whole issue down to one simple rule:

- Don't apply corruption/consumption unless the card specifically tells you to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:

I can't think of any card that says to 'produce' without specifying whether or not corruption occurs.

I don't think there are any. The only ones that say nothing are the ones that talk about 'gaining'.

Most of them say produce. e.g. Foray 'The two strongest civilizations each produce a total of 3 resources and/or food.'

In this case you should ignore c&c.

Dulkal wrote:

Which basically boils the whole issue down to one simple rule:

- Don't apply corruption/consumption unless the card specifically tells you to.

Which is what I said in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I edited the OP.
Although after reading the other posts in the rules section, there seems to be still a confusion around the terms "get" and "produce".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James N
msg tools
Heishiro1976 wrote:
lose/decrease population

thumbsdown we played that when instructed to lose population we remove a yellow token from yellow bank
thumbsup correct rule: move an unused worker if available to yellow bank or destroy a building or military unit then move token to yellow bank

So is there any time you add/remove tokens to/from the yellow bank other than at the end of an Age? I had always interpreted that population referred to the population bank and therefore cards that say increase or lose population refer to the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesnish wrote:
Heishiro1976 wrote:
lose/decrease population

So is there any time you add/remove tokens to/from the yellow bank other than at the end of an Age? I had always interpreted that population referred to the population bank and therefore cards that say increase or lose population refer to the bank.

There are times when you add to your population bank, like when you win a Fertile Colony. There are times when you lose from your population bank, like when you lose a War for Territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jamesnish wrote:
Heishiro1976 wrote:
lose/decrease population

Thematically, workers represent your actual population. They are either in your unused worker pool (doing nothing) or they are in buildings, producing stuff (or in an army).

Thematically, the yellow bank represents your land. As your population increases, you remove from the yellow bank to show how your land is filling up. Spaces in the yellow bank with yellow tokens on them represent unused land, spaces without tokens represent used land (they are being used by the worker you created when you removed the token) As your land fills up, your people get more unhappy from being crowded together, and they start needing more food as there's less space for personal farming/hunting.

So you gain yellow tokens mostly by colonizing new territory. You lose yellow tokens when you lose territory (annexation, war over territory). Uncertain Borders event loses territory because your rival draws their new border into your territory. Etc...

Bottom line: yellow tokens in the bank represent unused territory, not workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My compendium of rules mistakes : more tips
Another limit:
max number of Military cards in hand is limited by your number of military actions (+1 if you have Library of Alexandria), but this is only enforced just after your political action. (You often have more military cards at end of turn than your normal hand size allows).
(Note that Civil card hand size may not be exceeded at any time.)

Destroy a farm/mine or urban building:
Note that if you lose one of these (due to an event or aggression), the yellow tokens go back into your unused worker pool, NOT into your yellow bank. In effect, you have lost just the actions to build the building, plus the invested resources required to do so.
(By contrast, military units lost to colonization or military sacrifice are always removed back to the yellow bank. This means that you also effectively lost your investment in food and actions to get the yellow token out as a worker in the first place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidb3 wrote:
(Note that Civil card hand size may not be exceeded at any time.)

Not quite true. The rule is you may not draw a Civil card into your hand if it is already at capacity. There are some rare circumstances where you may have more Civil cards in hand than Civil Actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Green
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
Uprising

thumbsdown probably the most misunderstood rule as the english translation is very confusing
thumbsup correct rule: you get uprising (no production) when the number of unhappy faces (revealed by an empty yellow bank section) exceeds the number of workers in unused workers pool.

Sounds simple enough but confusion arises because rules states that a yellow token on an unhappy face can be used to track "discontent" workers and that uprising occurs when you have more discontent workers than unused workers.

If you use yellow unused worker to track discontent workers, then the uprising rule is : after covering unhappy faces (revealed by empty yellow bank sections) with all your unused workers, if there are remaining unhappy faces then you get an uprising.
example :
2 unhappy faces, 2 unused = no uprising
2 unhappy faces covered by yellow token = no uprising

2 unhappy faces, 1 unused = uprising
1 unhappy faced covered by yellow token, 1 unhappy face not covered = uprising

I'm unclear on what you mean by this. Assuming that my interpretation s correct, I think a clearer and more direct way to say this would be:

For each happy/unhappy face to the left of the happiness marker and below an empty column of the population bank (the yellow bank) you may put an unused worker from the worker pool onto that happy/unhappy face. The worker becomes "discontented". This is not and action. If you do not do this for every such happy/unhappy face, then you have an uprising and produce no resources this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CunningAllusionment wrote:

I'm unclear on what you mean by this. Assuming that my interpretation s correct, I think a clearer and more direct way to say this would be:

For each happy/unhappy face to the left of the happiness marker and below an empty column of the population bank (the yellow bank) you may put an unused worker from the worker pool onto that happy/unhappy face. The worker becomes "discontented". This is not and action. If you do not do this for every such happy/unhappy face, then you have an uprising and produce no resources this turn.

Yeah, you could word it that way. But the rules don't require you to track unhappiness by covering the happy faces- it's just a convenient suggestion.

It's not a good way of defining "discontent" either. Let's say the Age ends at the end of my turn and that uncovers a happy face for me. I have no unused workers to cover it. By the actual rules, I have a discontent worker (and he's actually working somewhere, not unused). By your writing of them, he only counts as a discontent worker once I move him to cover the happy face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
There are some rare circumstances where you may have more Civil cards in hand than Civil Actions.

Ooh...ooh.. trying to think of these...

1. Hammurabi dies at end of age
2. Ravages of Time event kills Pyramids, Library, or Kremlin
3. War on Technology results in loss of Code of Laws, etc.

Any others??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr_divot wrote:
Ward wrote:
There are some rare circumstances where you may have more Civil cards in hand than Civil Actions.

Any others??

4. Switch from Republic to Constitutional Monarchy or any other government with fewer Civil Actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abredon wrote:
dr_divot wrote:
Ward wrote:

Any others??

4. Switch from Republic to Constitutional Monarchy or any other government with fewer Civil Actions.

2. Nope not the Kremlin, RoT only affects Age A/I wonders
4. Nope not Republic to CM- that's only a loss of one CA, and since you just played a card (CM) you are one below your previous limit anyway. It would have to be Republic-> Monarchy/Theocracy or CM->Theocracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
5. Lose CoL/Justice System/Civil Service in a War on Technology

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:

That was #3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
BagelManB wrote:

That was #3

lol oops not sure how I missed that given I gave commentary on #2 and #4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
4. Nope not Republic to CM- that's only a loss of one CA, and since you just played a card (CM) you are one below your previous limit anyway. It would have to be Republic-> Monarchy/Theocracy or CM->Theocracy.

Unless you have gone over the limit due to #2 or #3. Then playing ConMon would bring you to the limit as the limit was reduced once again, leaving you with one extra card still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.