Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know this game is pretty unique, but are there any games similar to it but different? Something with deep gameplay, non-repetitive, and not too-long?

I don't own 7 Wonders it, but I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale seems pretty similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it but I think Notre Dame has the "pick a card, pass the rest" mechanic as a part of its gameplay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
From your post I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. As measured against the more popular games on this site, 7 Wonders is fairly repetitive and not all that deep. Are you looking for something that has similar mechanisms? If so, Fairy Tale is a good suggestion. However, you say "similar but different" which makes me think you are looking for something with different mechanisms, but similarly clever.

My intuition is that you should start exploring the light-to-medium Euro genre, including things like:

Notre Dame
The Castles of Burgundy
Ra
Hansa
Hansa Teutonica (no relation)
Puerto Rico

If you can say what you like about 7 Wonders, I/we could probably be of more help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels?

Has the card drafting aspect at least, can play in variable times (a bit long with more players, but you can houserule it lower). Makes you think about what your neighbors are doing. Good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fables429 wrote:
Something with deep gameplay, non-repetitive, and not too-long?

Among the Stars is 7 Wonders mixed with tile building. (The kickstarter campaign is over, but it's not out yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly Biblios for the drafting mechanic?
Race for the Galaxy? A strategic card game that plays in 30 mins or so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons?

It has card drafting, and plays in 3 ages (years actually), similar to 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say a Magic: The Gathering draft would come somewhat close.

What makes 7 Wonders tick, in my opinion, is it's "draft cards"-mechanic.
So following BoardGameGeeks Card drafting-link might give you some hints for "similar" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City Tycoon.

It has the drafting of a shuffled deck, using a different deck to represent 4 distinct eras. Money is tight so drafted tiles can be discarded for money. Difference is there is an actual game to play once you put your drafted tile into play.

I really like 7 Wonders too, so having both games is great. They provide a complementary choice between the quick activity in a social context of 7 Wonders and a deeper brain burning game with City Tycoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Festa
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for an alternative to 7W, try Libertalia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebbe wrote:
So following BoardGameGeeks Card drafting-link might give you some hints for "similar" games.
Problem with this approach is that the category is not defined narrow enough and all the deck builders get thrown in there as well.

The already mentioned games
Among the Stars
City Tycoon
revolve around the pick-and-pass card drafting mechanic.

Seasons has less of that from what I've read but I don't know it very well.
Space Maze has a dice drafting feature. Each round dice are rolled and then player pick what they need to execute their moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.