Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Having seen the dice tower reviews of the big box, can anyone tell me if a lot of the expansions are just box fillers or will they ever be used? The review gives the impression that some of the add-ons are just not worth getting, yet to buy them individually costs way more than the price of the B/B.
Do any of you play with all the modules at some point? and if so, what are your opinions? thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Big Box. The 20 expansions all fit nicely inside and most have now been played. Some are far better than others and some simply add a few cards. All of them help by adding a little something to the base game. I recommend the big box not only for the fact it stores everything but finding ALL the expansions might now be difficult. The Works were selling some of them off for peanuts, but that has now gone.

FWIW when we play there are about 3 additions made to each game so that there is a good change to base game, but without overload.

Download the rules ( I did before buying )and have a damn good read. You will probably realise playing with all expansions will fry your brain. That would be akin to playing Dominon with say 40 stacks instead of 10 ( noted your microbadge )

GO BUY !!

PS There are now 21 expansions with the Essen "magic buildings".
Many thanks, I must dig out my copy and try to get it to the table next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very good reply and thank you. I will try to purchase within the next couple of weeks then.....First I will download the rules..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Every excpansion "pack" has something to offer. Not all 4 modules in each pack are that great but at least one in each is worth it.

The Big Box is the best value to get everything at an extremely reasonable rate. You won't be sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's great, and thank you. I was a little worried that I might be getting a lot, and only using a few of the items in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding my voice to the mix...I have used most of the expansions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Big Box is a great investment for the price.

I recently posted a sort of breakdown of our "ranking" of each of the modules in the Big Box: Alhambra and Expansions "Personal" Rankings.

We generally played each of these as 2-player games and I noted where some might play better with more people.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Box is definitely worth the investment if you enjoy playing Alhambra at all. I have not played all of the expansions and probably never will as some just don't seem to me like they would be fun. With that said, I only play just the base game when teaching it to new players. When playing with my regular gaming group (aka my family) we ALWAYS add in the Diamonds and Change. We nearly always add at least one if not two more expansion to that. We tend to rotate through most of the remaining expansions in this manner. It is surprising how each one changes the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the big box, I love mine, there are only a few that I'm not so crazy about but I will play them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.