Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the usual crew couldn't make it (including Neil who participated in the last session) so it was just Simon and I. We retest the game to turn 1.

The primary objective of the session, like the last one, was to provide confidence that the game mechanics worked - both individually and in unison. I'm glad to report that this was the case. As with the first session, and as is to be expected at this stage of playtesting, we were able to clarify some rules and changed some others.

Simon took the Allies as, in the early part of the game, these present the player with the most decisions.

I've posted an image from the last session so you can better appreciate the improvements that have been made in the playtest map and counter art. The turn 1 dispositions/landing areas are pre-defined.

(Oh. And I should mention that this latest copy of the playtest map is super-sized. This wasn't intentional; I wasn't thinking when I set the poster-print settings on my printer )blush

Earlier version of playtest map and counters

Start of Turn 1; Republicans in Ollioules and Sollies, Toulonnaise in Toulon and Anglo/Spanish forces waiting to land to the East of the city

End of Turn 1

At the end of Turn 1, not all of the Anglo-Spansh are ashore

Turn 2 sees the initial Allied landings complete; Toulon occupied by the Spanish and the British securing the fortress at La Garde. Meanwhile the French advance from Ollioules towards La Seyne

Detail at the end of Turn 2

Turn three brings the Neapolitans ashore at Toulon. They and the Spanish head west and south along the coast to secure the (key) Eguillette peninsular. Carteaux's Western wing makes no further progress in this area though the force enroute to La Seyne is reinforced.

In the East, Lapoype's Republicans move to threaten La Garde.

End of Turn 3 (Detail 1)

End of Turn 3 (Detail 2)

Turn 4 in progress - featuring Simon

On turn 4 Bonaparte arrives, establishes two batteries (Montagne and Sans Culottes) o the NW of La Seyne and immediately launches an attack on the Neapolitan's - seeking to isolate the troops on Point d'Eguillette. His attack is repulsed but the Allies are shaken (and will suffer an OPs penalty in future turns due to the impact on morale). In the East, the thinly spread British troops become concerned at the presence of a significant Republican force outside La Garde and, whilst leaving the fort garrisoned, generally withdraw and consolidate towards Toulon.

The session ended at this point.

End of Turn 4 - detail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit new to this BGG forum lark. The narrative of what is happening is included in the pictures' captions; would have been better to intersperse text and images. Oh well, there's always next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
(Originally contained instructions on editing posts.)

Very nice, Andy! I'm looking forward to more details.

I did have trouble following the action because I didn't know where locations were on the map (Ouilles?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ethan; I'll do the edit and post original size. Some of the 'detail' shots show the counters somewhat better - and all art is 'playtest'.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested, there is now a (draft) example of play available in the files scction on the Toulon, 1793 page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.