Andy O
msg tools
Hi,

i hope my english doesnt hurt too much!
we played with 4 players

the ettins are placed in the hallway to the right

on the first OL turn he moved the red one next to the guy we had to rescue ( dont know the name), threw him behind him the 3 spaces so this guy was already in the hallway behind the red ettin

on the next ol turn the next throw failed but the lieutenant ( sir alric?) used his overpower ability to switch places 3 times and move him more and more away and from now on, it was impossible to rescue our guy because now the placement in this small hallway was the following after 2! rounds:

our already wounded questtarget on one space und the lieutenant next to him, so both blocking this hallway and behind there were 3-4 monsters we couldnt reach but they could attack our target
the only possibility to attack was the one space with the lieutenant with 16 life an 2 silver dice

i hope u get what im saying, the only problem was, that the ol could move our target ( with ettins throw ( and also with overpower from alric) out of the big room and we had no possibility to draw him back or sth. like that

is this really valid to throw our not moveable target in this hallway of hell?
any opinions to solve this problem for the heros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly a tough quest for the heroes. However, I'm beginning to think that the Throw and Overpower tactics are legit. The quest guide calls specifically for Ettins and Sir Alric to be there as if they intended for those abilities to be used.

Also, the guide never says that Palamon can't be moved. It says he has Speed 0. If you look at Sir Alric, he actually has the ability Unmovable. It would have been easy to give Sir Palamon the Unmovable ability if that is what they intended.

I agree that the quest can be very frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bobisch
Germany
flag msg tools
I would also think, that this strategy is legit. After all the quest guide says explicitly that Sir Palamon is to be treated like a Hero, he also has the Attributes that go with it (So the Ettin could fail to throw him)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, yes, but I think the reason Palamon doesn't move is because he's ringing the bell or doing some kind of signal where he is standing and if he were to move, he could continue to signal to raise the army.

I have a feeling if this were FAQed, FFG would not allow those abilities to work with him...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In terms of game balance, I would not allow Sir Palamon to be moved because the quest is already very difficult for the heroes and I think this would make it nearly impossible without extra XP/equipment. Alternately, give Sir Palamon a move speed and require him to be next to the bell to raise militia.

Thematically it makes sense that Sir Palamon could be thrown/overpowered, but then it doesn't make sense that he cannot move back to the bell, heck he shouldn't really be able to continue raising militia once he is away from the bell. Of course thematically I also don't know why he has 2-3X the HP of most heroes, or why he cannot attack, or move, or see less than three signals from the village, or why zombie villagers apparently move faster than the heroes, etc.

Purely by the rules, Sir Palamon can be thrown/overpowered and cannot move on his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone won this quest as the heroes when the Overlord was actively Throwing/Overpowering?

I've experienced very close matches only when Palamon never failed a rally test. However, the heroes still lost. At the very least, I would house rule that the marshaling was automatic every round. Palamon always gets a fatigue token and spawns a new militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep this is a tough encounter even without throw and overpower. I just hope our OL doesn't read the original post or we're really screwed next time we play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think I would rule that either he has a move speed but only moves to his starting position, or that he can't be moved at all. Being able to toss him back to the monster spawn point just seems too good when he can't do anything to prevent it aside from home for lucky die rolls.

Of course, if they clarify it in a FAQ, I'll go by that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Matthews
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my campaign last night we came up with the same situation. As the Overlord, I felt like this could be a good strategy, and we all agreed it makes sense in the rules since he is treated as a hero.

In that sense, I also used one of the OL cards that causes additional fatigue when hits are made. Since Palamon doesn't have any fatigue, he takes the additional fatigue as damage (like all heroes would). If they didn't intend or allow for Palamon to be moved/overpowered/affected by OL cards, they would not have called him to be treated as a hero (with all his attributes available for skill checks).

Ultimately, though, I didn't use the Throw ability since I had all the zombies available to wail on him (15 points of damage my first round attacking him) and had enough cards to slow the heroes down.

2 dash cards for the twice respawned Master Ettin also helped end it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh A
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the Quest Balance poll in the General forum, many have voted that this quest favours the OL. Its very difficult for the heroes. Near the end I was rummaging through the rule book to see if there was the possibility that heroes could donate their equipment to Sir Palamon e.g. armor/shield. (They can't, but it was a worth a look).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.