Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After such a great week I've been looking forward to sharing the love!

I wanted to pick someone I didn't know well who met the following criteria: helps out with advice and support on the European Maths Trade threads, is from a different country, who deports himself on the geek with wit, grace and style.

So, I'm proud to present Geek of the Week 363, kreikkaturkulainen. Take it away Iraklis.

Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

"Ο γιός σας μιλάει πολύ στο μάθημα."
- My fifth grade teacher to my mother.

"¡Cállate, c**o!"
- My professor of Spanish in college.

"Kylläpä hän puhuu paljon..."
- My girlfriend to her friends, when we first met.

Don't say that I (or these wonderful women quoted above) didn't warn you. It seems that there is a persistent pattern with me, as many fellow BGGeeks would point out. It seems that my incessant blathering has caused me to be chosen as the reigning Geek of the Week, undoubtedly in the hopes that I would finally say what I had to say and then shut up. Alas! Chris may have made a terrible, horrible mistake in giving me the biggest soapbox in boardgamegeekdom, and I intend to use it!

First, some disclaimers.
1. That little flag next to my username is only there to confuse my enemies, as I am in fact not a Finn, but a Greek. Please direct your ethnic slurs appropriately.
2. My microbadges say a lot about me, but not everything. So just because I may sport a 'badge you don't like, it doesn't necessarily mean that I disagree with you - those are just fatuous, superficial, unnecessary virtual trinkets. And I absolutely adore them.
3. I may or may not use my true name here on BGG. In fact, until that mountebank Christopher picked me, I did not use a name at all. I enjoyed it too much when others tried to type my username. Google at your own peril.
4. I will be shamelessly plugging my own and others' BGG contributions.
5. I shall be employing superfluous and unnecessarily elaborate vocabulary here henceforth

Now, onwards with this drivel!

There had been abuse in my family, but it was ludologic in nature. In fact, I was deprived of the joy of board games into well into my 20s. There was no MTG for me, no D&D, and no A&A. Which left me free to discover the wonderful world of video games. Civilization II was my first true love, which led me to appreciate developing technologies, growing your territory and working towards a greater goal. Until I discovered Monopoly.

It was a happy time, that. There was one board game, and no need for others. I was in college, and studying business. What perfect serendipity that I would have so much free time, and a game about real estate and negotiations. Eventually all that free time caught up to me, and I was forced to pass some classes, which, somewhat predictably, resulted in my eventual graduation. Like an infant torn from the womb, I was thrown into the "real world" (the real real world, not the MTV one) and I didn't like it one bit. Luckily there were still plenty of opportunities for escapism, and during an interrailing sojourn which took me through Berlin (the real Berlin, not the Vermont one), I met this girl.

She was a redhead then, and that was that. Next thing I know, I am drinking salmiakkikossu, hatin' on Swedes and wondering what that yellow glowing orb was during the 2 days in the year that it appeared in the sky.

Life was pretty copacetic, until one fine evening, we were visiting some friends for dinner, and a board game appeared. It had silly little plastic trains and a quaint map of the USA, circa 1900. As a certain admin around here has put it, I had a geekgasm. We played again. And again. And again. The next day, the first of many domestic groans was heard when I purchased said game, and the rest is history.

I trade, I math(s)-trade, I run mathematical (See how I dodged the "s" issue there?) trades. I believe that MTs are the best way to trade, but also to buy and sell games. I know money in MTs is a little controversial, but even though I don't usually give or receive cash, I like how it "oils" the MT machine.

I still play train-themed games, sometimes taking it a little too far, and sometimes just far enough. I enjoy historically-themed games, even if it means I have to play 8-12 hours. I am a convert to deck-building, and very recently I have played and learned to appreciate board games with RPG elements. I am planning to participate in my first proper RPG before the year is out.

I have several ideas about board games that I could design, but I often find that I do not want to play the same game again for a while, so I don't know if I could handle playtesting even my own game again and again. I play others' prototypes, and I have recently been an occasional Kickstarter/IndieGoGo contributor. On BGG I spend most of the time adding games to my Want To Play list, editing my bio in anticipation of GOTWship, running MTs here and there, failing to win anything in contests, dodging Octavian, giving away games and finnish "delicacies", and hanging out at what seems the most active Guild on the Geek, the Greek Guild - ρεπρεσέντ!

When I have some free time, I try to write my master's thesis on microfinance, I earn my bread in the travel business, and I love to travel. I especially love to travel and play games. However, since those are not always compatible, I tend to impose on the kindness of strangers to do so. My experiences in doing so have ranged from amazing to stupendous, and I have many good BGGers to thank for that.

Although I think I have now reached the prime of my BGG life, I do have some plans for the future. A seemingly impossible dream would be to open a board game café, another less improbable one is to semi-professionally combine board games and travel. What is more likely to happen in the short term is that I will get a laser cutter and start crafting some custom wooden components.

Thank you for reading this far. Aldie and Derk have created a wonderful space for us all, and despite the occasional whine, I am truly grateful to them and the admins for keeping this place running. It has changed my life for the better (and the busier!), and it has enriched my gaming to a degree that I can't even calculate. Finally, a big thank you to the community, an apology to those I rubbed the wrong way, a bill in the mail to those I rubbed the right way, and a friendly wave to Chris.

Poll
Two truths and a lie...
I ran the Boston marathon as a "bandit", managing to finish only because my girlfriend supported me on her shoulder for a couple of miles.
I didn't learn how to ride a bicycle until I was 18. It hurt.
I once ate 5 kg of garlic-soaked spinach in one sitting, keeping everything down.
      131 answers
Poll created by cggritt

And to start us off, some questions...

A What was your favourite song at 16, and how do you feel about it now?

B What is your favourite individual boardgame piece?

C What is the worst boardgame box art ever?

D Do you laugh at box farts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congratulations Iraklis, enjoy your week.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Enjoy your week and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week in the sun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Iraklis! Enjoy your week!

blacktrain - Have you ever played Spectral Rails or have any desire to try this ghostly train game?

- Is there a favored plane you usually fly in Wings of War/Glory and what is it? Why?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Iraklis!

Hope you have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Iraklis!

d10-1 Sunrise or sunset?
d10-2 Your all time favourite board game (if you can pick only one)?
d10-3 Which colour do you prefer to play?
d10-4 When's the next Finnish Math Trade? whistle

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris, I couldn't have been picked by a better BGGer. Knowing what it takes to run a MT has only increased my respect for you. The funny thing is that the technical stuff is what most commonly intimidates people, while it's the interaction with some users that makes me sigh sometimes.

cggritt wrote:
A What was your favourite song at 16, and how do you feel about it now?
Ah, 16... I barely remember how I was back then.

Μ' αρέσει να μη λέω πολλά by Υπόγεια Ρεύματα

A rather ironic song title in my case, as it means "I don't like to say much" Edit: "I like to not say much" (there's a difference). I still love it. I am not sure if it is still my favourite, but it does take me back.

cggritt wrote:
B What is your favourite individual boardgame piece?
The one that I use to win! Hah hah, I keed, I keed! If I couldn't pick something that Marie Cardouat, Michael Menzel or Lars-Arne "Maura" Kalusky has drawn, it would have to be the Samurai pieces, the Buddha in particular.

cggritt wrote:
C What is the worst boardgame box art ever?
Eclipse's looks truly epic, 7 Wonders' is really evocative for me. Lately though I cannot take my eyes off Libertalia... OK, I need to get my GotW on and start reading questions properly. Right. A number of entries in [geeklist=87443][/geeklist] would qualify for me, and something about El Grande's makes me uneasy. Europa 1945-2030's cover makes me want to never have kids and Glory to Rome's never to play Glory to Rome. World in Flames.

More fun stuff:
Name the worst box cover art
Paging Dr. Freud.... Phallic Imagery on Box Covers
Ah, have I said how much I love the 'geek?

cggritt wrote:
D Do you laugh at box farts?
Who doesn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Congratulations! Enjoy your week in the sun!

Well, I am actually headed to Greece in a few days, so thanks, I will!

Edit: I am headed to this place, btw, check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Congratulations, Iraklis! Enjoy your week!
Wait, Geek of the Week only lasts a week? I thought it was an ironic "week".

blacktrain - Have you ever played Spectral Rails or have any desire to try this ghostly train game?
Never, and in fact, I didn't even know it exists. Of course, this would be the belle of the ball at JunaCon next year. Great. Another game to hunt down, thank you soooooo much. Seriously, thanks.

- Is there a favored plane you usually fly in Wings of War/Glory and what is it? Why?
Not particularly, because I don't know which ones are the best, and all the paint schemes look very pretty to me. I try to give the most maneuverable-looking ones to newbies, to avoid them flying off the table. Two-seaters fascinate me though, and I hope to become experienced enough to play with full altitude rules someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Iraklis! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
d10-1 Sunrise or sunset?
Sunset. In Oia.

Kattvippa wrote:
d10-2 Your all time favourite board game (if you can pick only one)?
Well, Ticket to Ride because it's what started all this, but if my other personality could also pick one, it would be Power Grid.

Kattvippa wrote:
d10-3 Which colour do you prefer to play?
Black. If no black is available, the following, in this order: Grey, Tan, White, Wood grain, Orange, Purple, Blue, Lavender, Tangerine, Teal, Maraschino, Light Urple.

Kattvippa wrote:
Finally, an intelligent question - I must say, I expected deep, heavy, give-us-your-wisdom-you-learned-scholar-of-the-meaning-of-life stuff, but this will do . Before Lautapelaamaan, probably starting sometime in October.

Wait, you are RPGGotW right now? Is this a conspiracy? Granted, we've only traded a bit and played Dixit once, but still, wow.

Congratulations!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:
Finally, an intelligent question - I must say, I expected deep, heavy, give-us-your-wisdom-you-learned-scholar-of-the-meaning-of-life stuff, but this will do . Before Lautapelaamaan, probably starting sometime in October.

Yay, can't wait!

And also, as you clearly asked for this, what is the meaning of life? laugh

Wait, you are RPGGotW right now? Is this a conspiracy? Granted, we've only traded a bit and played Dixit once, but still, wow.

Congratulations!!!

I am and thanks, I'm very honoured and it was totally unexpected. I was also very (happily) surprised to notice that you are the Geek of the Week. Oh yes, the Finns (or the almost-Finns) are taking over the Geek ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

Yay, can't wait!

And also, as you clearly asked for this, what is the meaning of life? laugh

Congratulations!!!

I am and thanks, I'm very honoured and it was totally unexpected. I was also very (happily) surprised to notice that you are the Geek of the Week. Oh yes, the Finns (or the almost-Finns) are taking over the Geek ninja

Well, the meaning that I find in life is to be surrounded by people that make you happy, and vice versa. Deep, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week in the spotlight.

kreikkaturkulainen once sent me trains from TtR: Nordic Countries, and didn't want any money! Mailing from Europe! Quality Geek of the Week material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats! Enjoy your week on the soapbox!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Iraklis,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Iraklis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Iraklis!

Were you born in Greece? Of Greek blood or what?

How did you wind up in Finland?

Do you play RPGs also?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! and with a "name" NAME "Like" kreikkaturkulainen; then, "it" HAZ 2 "B" a 'mouthful', at least! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!!!

Quick question: what makes Backgammon your most played '10' ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.