Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Role of large ships in the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kitsune
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the role of capital ships in the game. I think that, other than adding firepower against larger ships, they could play a more strategic role. Like the leaders in the movies directing the battle from their command room, the capital ships would have tactics and intelligence cards to influence the game.

For instance a Jedi in the capital ship is using Battle meditation to allow re-roll. A fleet admiral would allow ships to change their orientation. Bothan spies would let you look at the opponent movement but at a cost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitsune
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the scale difference the question is how to make larger ships work with the smaller skirmish scale of the game.

I guess I was including the expanded universe in there and the role of intelligence in large battles. There is a good article about space warfare and it's use here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Space_warfare. Battle meditation was a reference to Heir to the Empire.

Given the size of capital ships it would be tricky to add them on the board but if present the capital ships would be slow moving with large defense, probably ignoring smaller ships to focus on the larger targets. The bombers would try to break through the shields while star fighters would attempt the intercept. The capital ship becoming an objective of sort.

The idea of the strategy/intelligence cards was to have capital ships play a different role. It's a way to expand the game, probably in large scenario involving more ships. Also that way you wouldn't necessary need to have a (very large) model to include capital ship in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
I am not sold on having Slave 1 in the mix but that is the way the developers wanted to do things...

I feel the same way. Although I love the ship from a movie stand point, I don't see myself adding this one to my collection. The other three ships from the second wave I will purchase as soon as I can find them. I bought two core sets at Gencon and play nearly everyday. I already know from my play experience that there is limited use for the medium size ships let alone the large ones. Maybe at tournaments or someones basement where you can create a 4'X 8' playing area but not your normal in home table top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope that the Slave I would be included in this game was pretty much the deciding factor in my buying into this game (preorder). I am absolutely stoked to see the Millennium Falcon and Slave I face off with other fighters flitting about them.

Although I do think capital ships would be really cool to play with, I really don't think they'd fit into this game. This is a game about dogfighting and I think it should remain as a game about dogfighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Go Pack Go!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
I see your point and was aware of you linking your conceptualisation with the Post-original trilogy (with Vice Admiral Thrawn). I actually look forward to FF incorporating freighters and Corellian Corvettes into the game. I think such ships will have a role to play particularly when the B-Wings and Tie Bombers hit the shelves. I am not sold on having Slave 1 in the mix but that is the way the developers wanted to do things...

Being a fan of the Thrawn trilogy, I gotta correct his rank: It is Grand Admiral Thrawn not vice admiral. Great series by the way. I highly suggest it as a quality read and a good way to start out in the Star Wars expanded universe of books. Timothy Zahn writes a very good Star Wars Trilogy.

Just got the game at Star Wars Celebration 6 and I am looking forward to playing some games soon. Yes, I am not sure how Slave 1 will fit in, but the frieghters make a bit more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Other such "Capital Cards" could be thing such as maneuvers, reinforcements, and communications.

A maneuver could be something like "the Antillies Gambit" which could give an X-Wing a reroll if it just completed a white move, or all two red moves in a row, at a cost, etc.

Reinforcements would be more along the line if a Star Destroyer pumping out extra TIEs. These TIEs could have ther own cards, and be weaker than normal TIEs.

Communications could add to attack rolls if a ship is within a certain range of another ship, or maybe allow for an extra barrel roll or something similar.

These could all be cards facilitated by having an abstracted Capitol Ship off the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Conner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
mcook144 wrote:
Horrid Beast wrote:
I see your point and was aware of you linking your conceptualisation with the Post-original trilogy (with Vice Admiral Thrawn). I actually look forward to FF incorporating freighters and Corellian Corvettes into the game. I think such ships will have a role to play particularly when the B-Wings and Tie Bombers hit the shelves. I am not sold on having Slave 1 in the mix but that is the way the developers wanted to do things...

Being a fan of the Thrawn trilogy, I gotta correct his rank: It is Grand Admiral Thrawn not vice admiral. Great series by the way. I highly suggest it as a quality read and a good way to start out in the Star Wars expanded universe of books. Timothy Zahn writes a very good Star Wars Trilogy.

Just got the game at Star Wars Celebration 6 and I am looking forward to playing some games soon. Yes, I am not sure how Slave 1 will fit in, but the frieghters make a bit more sense.

Actually he began as Vice Admiral Thrawn and such was his rank in the original series according to his trilogy. Only when he decided to lead the remnants of the empire did he take on such a grandiose name.

In the original Thrawn trilogy the Emperor personally promoted him to the rank of Grand Admiral before sending him off into the Unknown Regions, which is where he was when the Battle of Endor happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would incorporate capital ships as part of mission scenarios.

You could mark off a "lane" for fighters armed with proton torpedoes to line up on and traverse to do a bombing run against a Star Destroyer's shield generators, while offering the TIE Fighters a few free shots of support fire a turn from the ISD's point defense batteries. Rebels win via destruction of the shield generators. Imperials win via destruction of the Rebel raiding force. Playtest to figure out a points handicap and you've got yourself a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooklyn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
+1 here for Capital Ships. I hope they add Corvettes and what not. I loved the big battles in the old PC games. And honestly i don't see why they wouldn't. Sure, some people don't have a 4x8 table in their living rooms. But i do. And i for one, would love to fill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcook144 wrote:
Horrid Beast wrote:

Yea in the TIE Fighter game Thrawn started as a Vice Admiral and becomes promoted to full Admiral and then Grand Admiral in game.
Timothy Zahn wrote the BEST trilogy, I've read plenty of the starwars books but none of the were as sheer awesome as the Thrawn trilogy, mind you I stopped reading before the whole Yuzhan Vong saga but it would take some pretty epic writing to match Zahn's books.

Capital ships and larger ships would be hard to implement into X-wing without bogging the game down massively I think.
Just the sheer number of craft you'd need to field to face an enemy capital ship might make the game unwieldy.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the TIE fighter game and the missions were awesome, but full sized capital ships would be the equivalent of an Apocalypse level 40k game, doable but expensive and time-consuming.

Now a Corellian Corvette at 150 meters would come to the length of 12 X-wings, and a Nebulon-B frigate would be the length of 24 X-wings.
Those I could see as being doable, particularly the Corvette because it isn't brimming with weapons.
And with their speed compared to the swarming fighters around them, they can sit there still on the table and be immovable until they make a jump to lightspeed to escape and are removed from the table.

Then with having TIE Bombers later, you get to recreate smaller big ship scenarios which is something I would love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.