Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Lorentin
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear gamer fellows, I have a small obsession when it comes to games' boxes.

I just to do not support to have the front part of the box not being aligned with the back one. It drives me crazy, I have to re-open the box to close it properly.

My girlfriend find it really amusing and does not miss a chance to make fun of me.

But I am sure that I am not alone! I do know that some of you feel the compulsory need to sleeve all their cards (not need to deny it!), but I am sure we can find funnier obsessions that that!

Let me know what yours is/are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards have to be facing the same way. I'll fix people's discards if they discard them the wrong way. I'll spin around the next card in the draw deck if it was the wrong way. They must all be uniform in a stack. My girlfriend mocks me for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilty to both of the above. Glad I'm not alone.

As a wargamer, I also have to have the box contents in a certain order: maps on the bottom, then the charts and tables, then the rules, finally the counters (organized in ziplock bags) on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play a game, the start time must be exactly 7.5 minutes after the top of the hour.

I am kidding of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back and front of the box both have to be the right way up. Partly an anal quasi-OCD part of me where it just seems right, but partly because it's easier to pick up a box to look at the back and for the back to be the "right way round" to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Lorentin
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
My cards have to be facing the same way. I'll fix people's discards if they discard them the wrong way. I'll spin around the next card in the draw deck if it was the wrong way. They must all be uniform in a stack. My girlfriend mocks me for this.

Oh yeah! I forgot I have this one as well! Though it just kicks in I happen to notice they are not the right way, I might not ACTIVELY checking which way they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Griffon
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve my cards. From there comes a need for all the cards to be oriented the same way in the deck, but I usually sort them once the game is finished.
And... I sleeve my boxes laugh (I put them in big ziploc bags, to avoid some shelf wear and carrying damage)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cards have an orientation (unlike playing cards, for example), then I get antsy if they're discarded the wrong way. (Certain games are exceptions: in Ticket to Ride, the destination cards need to be facing the same way, but the train cards do not.)

Pieces need to be aligned properly on the board. Mine for sure, and other players' if they are egregiously out of place (Ticket to Ride is another bad one for this... no derailments!) I hate it when the board gets jostled. (Eclipse drives me buggy.)

If the pieces should be facing a certain way, then they must be (Memoir '44, I'm lookin' at you). If it doesn't matter, then that's okay.

Pieces must be upright!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I get some ribbing because I record all my plays, even of fillers like Martian Dice. I try to write down when we start and finish, so I can include accurate game lengths. (I find those very handy to refer back to, and since I make them publicly available I hope they help other folks too). I try to record everyone's final score.

Having said that, I'm not completely obsessive about every detail. I often forget to note exactly when we started, and for fillers I have played several times, I'm unlikely to even bother with game length.

Of course to me, this is all a practical habit with tangible benefits, and not an obsession at all

Most of the folks I game with don't realize that I later go home and write up a mini session report for most non-filler plays. That might be closer to an obsession, but again if I didn't see actual benefits from it, I wouldn't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife mocks me for this, but after we play I feel this compulsion to count every component to make sure nothing was lost! I guess I have encountered too many games that are "ruined" in my opinion by being incomplete. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
captncavern wrote:
I sleeve my cards. From there comes a need for all the cards to be oriented the same way in the deck, but I usually sort them once the game is finished.
And... I sleeve my boxes laugh (I put them in big ziploc bags, to avoid some shelf wear and carrying damage)

I just sleeve the shelf, I'm considering sleeving my house instead so that it could be an all inclusive single move and be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:

Yup, I have this one too. It seems to be a source of great amusement to both my significant other and a friend we often game with. To the point where, they like to torment me by deliberately mixing up cards yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post! Glad to know there are 'normal' gamers like me who simply know there are right ways and wrong ways to do things.

A few that were missed:

All money must face the same way and all the 'heads' must be up...I'll constantly fix this as people discard money...needless to say it must be correct going into the box...I generally go through the stack to verify.

Bagging - each player color should be individually bagged with everything that player needs when starting the next game.

These two come quickly to mind. If all gamers simply knew the 'correct' ways to game it would make everything much more enjoyable for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
When I play a game, the start time must be exactly 7.5 minutes after the top of the hour.

I am kidding of course.

Ramius doesn't do a Crazy Ivan until the bottom half of the hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike Race for the Galaxy because the rules say to leave one pile of cards "messy." I don't intentionally do messy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I dislike Race for the Galaxy because the rules say to leave one pile of cards "messy." I don't intentionally do messy.

Curious what the purpose of this rule is? Isn't there some other way to differentiate a pile of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably another easy way, but that is the main reason, as the discards are supposed to be face-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In bagging components I never mix wood and cardboard. Ever. Not even when there is only one wooden component; it gets its own bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
In bagging components I never mix wood and cardboard. Ever. Not even when there is only one wooden component; it gets its own bag.

What will you do if you ever buy a game with cardboard glued onto wooden pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Ah, same here . . . except that I love that game! I usually end up straightening the discard pile a little anyway. As long as you can still differentiate it from the draw pile, you're fine.

Also, if I'm playing a game with any sort of resources or pieces in front of me, they all have to be grouped by type. So, the sheep with the sheep, the cows with the cows, etc. There can't be one big pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Lorentin
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:

But why would someone mix them??? surprise Such a risk at damaging our precious cardboard components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajikJack wrote:
Bagging - each player color should be individually bagged with everything that player needs when starting the next game.

Same here! Having things nicely organized helps having a quicker set up time.

I like organizing the games by size and making sure that the heaviest boxes go at the bottom so no games are getting smashed or dented. But I don't think this is actually an obsession. We are just taking good care of our things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Pieces need to be aligned properly on the board. Mine for sure, and other players' if they are egregiously out of place (Ticket to Ride is another bad one for this... no derailments!) I hate it when the board gets jostled. (Eclipse drives me buggy.)

If the pieces should be facing a certain way, then they must be (Memoir '44, I'm lookin' at you). If it doesn't matter, then that's okay.

Pieces must be upright!

This is very much me also. One friend of mine started stacking his Power Grid and Settlers houses on their side just to bug me. It worked. I'd be constantly tidying up everybody's placements on boards.

Fortunately I rarely have that issue with AT games as everybody loves seeing their TI3 fleets flying in formation, pointed at their enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captncavern wrote:

Pfft. I sleeve my sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MrPinkEyes wrote:
Andy Parsons wrote:

But why would someone mix them??? surprise Such a risk at damaging our precious cardboard components!

Exactly. And yet there is a school of thought that each player colour - cardboard, wood, plastic, wire wool...

Quote:
...should be individually bagged with everything that player needs when starting the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.