Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just lost via Sudden Death on Turn 3 as the German.

This is the end game situation.

The German are about to encircled all the Allied units in Belgium. I feel like I have lost the game while I am actually winning.

I have failed to capture Antwerp via counter blow. So by the end of turn 2 German only control 4 cities on the map while receiving no Battle VPs, and thus lost to French via sudden death.

Am I missing something in the rule, or had made a fatal mistakes?

P.S. - I am restricted from attacking Holland's unit by the plan card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not forget that the Fortifications are worth 1VP when eliminated! So in your case the Germans have not lost yet.

Rule 14.1 last bullet:

Lost steps from Fortified units are irreplaceable. When eliminated, place these units in the Surrendered Units Box

There are a lot of VPs that can be gained from Holland, too: 2VPs from the cities, and 2 VPs from the Forts, minimum, for a total of 4VPs.

You start the game with 2VPs, getting those 3VPs should not be that difficult. On the first turn each paratroop has a 50% chance of destroying a lone Fort it's dropped on.

BTW in checking the rules, I saw that there was one change I forgot to make, about the German Plan Card G3, it should be read like this:

Page 14 of the rules, Rule 14.4, 7th Bullet.

— You cannot Attack Holland’s units: The German player cannot attack those units, but he can enter Holland, and he can drop paratroops in the same hex as those units.

Do not forget that Paratroops are MARKERS, not units, so cannot by themselves Control a City/Port objective for VP scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Do not forget that the Fortifications are worth 1VP when eliminated! So in your case the Germans have not lost yet.

Rule 14.1 last bullet:

Lost steps from Fortified units are irreplaceable. When eliminated, place these units in the Surrendered Units Box

Oh, silly me. I thought Fortified units do not count for VPs.blush

licinius wrote:
Do not forget that Paratroops are MARKERS, not units, so cannot by themselves Control a City/Port objective for VP scoring.

Really?! But the rule 14.8 said: "Both Sides: If the marker is alone in a hex, that hex is consider capture, as if by a square German unit." Which is correct?

By the way, could destroyed Holland/Belgium units be replaced? Are there any restrictions for them when they re-enter the map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samtang wrote:
Really?! But the rule 14.8 said: "Both Sides: If the marker is alone in a hex, that hex is consider capture, as if by a square German unit." Which is correct?

Oops! I stand corrected! There where so many version of the rules tested that sometimes I get mixed-up. Sorry... modest

samtang wrote:
By the way, could destroyed Holland/Belgium units be replaced? Are there any restrictions for them when they re-enter the map?

Yes they can be replaced.

But do note this rule, section 14.1:

Dutch, Belgian and Swiss Regional units cannot leave their respective home countries.

So you must make them appear in their home countries (from the Reserve Box), if you cannot do so (ex: The whole country was captured), they can't appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.