Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the map that you are using in the Call to Arms game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I acutally enjoy using some of the Cadet Edition rules of Federation Commander and SFB, as they limited each turn to 8 impulses.
it was extremely streamlined compared to the full version 32.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important correction:

Quote:
There were also a series of PC games which are obviously descended from this ST:TSCS, the Starfleet Command series, which are both well loved and collector's items.

...the Starfleet Command PC games (at least the first three, not the dreadful TNG-based version) were actually licensed 'Star Fleet Battles' ports. Indeed, the games even shipped with a copy of the Star Fleet Battles 'cadet game' on the CDs. The PC games had nothing to do with FASA's offering, other than licensing the same period of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are no hexes or squares on the map, how do you know how far to move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
Since there are no hexes or squares on the map, how do you know how far to move?

Ships can move up to 12" so you use a measuring tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:

If you want to get the files for some backgrounds and starmaps, you can go to my drop box; I make everything I create available:
https://www.box.com/files#/files/0/f/317054909/HexMap

And some other, prettier ones:
https://www.box.com/files#/files/0/f/300577910/Star_Trek_Her...

Thanks for the links! It seems like you printed your map on some type of durable material. What is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice summary of the genre and games. Very enjoyable reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
XanderF wrote:
An important correction:

Quote:
There were also a series of PC games which are obviously descended from this ST:TSCS, the Starfleet Command series, which are both well loved and collector's items.

...the Starfleet Command PC games (at least the first three, not the dreadful TNG-based version) were actually licensed 'Star Fleet Battles' ports. Indeed, the games even shipped with a copy of the Star Fleet Battles 'cadet game' on the CDs. The PC games had nothing to do with FASA's offering, other than licensing the same period of the series.

You didn't notice the correction on the bottom...did you. Did you just stop reading at the error and rush to tell me I was wrong?

I did notice it, however the wording on it seemed rather dismissive (as in 'I was told, but don't necessarily know for sure it's true'), so I wanted to make sure the information was spelled out in more complete confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoyed your write up on ACTA:SF. You bring back a lot of memories playing space combat games.

I started playing the FASA ST:TCS game in the 80's. After I became more familiar with the game, I felt the rules sucked. It doesn't scale well to the more powerful cruisers and battleships. It led to some out of character tactical decisions like not powering up shields for ships that have crappy shields. Better to use that power for weapons.

I then got a hold of the SFB game. I really liked the game as it simply made more sense to me and looked a lot like the scenes in the TV shows and movies. The problem was that the system was unwieldy for anyone who is not really into tactical board games, which to me is everyone I know except me. I only got a chance to play it once with my friends as they all hated it.

I ended up making a hybrid game taking what I though was the best part of STTCS and STF. It worked much better and I played it a few times before I ended up moving onto other games at that time in my life.

Later, I discovered Battlefleet Gothic. I personally think that this is the best space combat, tactical game ever made. The rules were much simpler than SFB or STTCS. The play was also a lot faster. The best part of it is that I found there is great depth in strategy (as long as no one plays Eldar or Necron). The game also promotes a lot of board movement so the game is rarely static.

I came across Star Trek ship stats for BFG that someone created. I never had a chance to try those out.

It seems that ACTASF resembles BFG a lot from your description. It is a table top game requiring rulers and compasses for movement. I'm wondering if it is worth investing in this considering I already have 4 fleets made and painted for BFG. I'm not sure if I'm into spending a couple of hours on each figure again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heywood
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit late to the party, but I really appreciate this review. Thanks for going to all the trouble of writing and sharing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could you use the minis from ST: fleet captains for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:
could you use the minis from ST: fleet captains for this?

You could use coins or bottletops if you felt like it.

The rules use the stem of the stand as the point from which everything is measured so that would work.

Of course the wizkids minatures are largely of Star Trek as portrayed in the movies and later series whereas these rules focus on the Star Fleet Universe which is based on the Original Series. Still I have used micromachines in the past to represent ships from the SFU in other games so I don't see why not.

If scale is your question this thread discusses it further.
Would the wizkids painted Star Trek ships look ridiculous next to Mongoose's minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thxz

i plan to buy STFC some time this year and i also have an interest in
capital ship miniature combat.
with this i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. (but a fancy futuristic stone with LED's in it of course, this is ST after all)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stile86 wrote:
Really nice summary of the genre and games. Very enjoyable reading.

Since it was apparently superflypete who wrote it it probably would have been, only he had a hissy fit and nuked all his stuff at the end of February 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.