Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing last night with some new players.

One wanted to be able to play Reversal of Fortune to redirect a weapon aimed at one of her bunnies - after rolling the black die to see whether her bunny was killed (and of course only if the bunny was killed).

She said that she should be able to do that, since Very Special cards can be "played at any time," and she was picking the time after the die roll.

This didn't seem right to me, but I was surprised that I could find anything in the rules about it. The rules say "a VERY SPECIAL card may be played during any player’s turn," but they don't say when during the turn.

The same question came up later for the Magic Spatula.

Can anyone point to anything official on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you will find anything "official" but there is no "time" between rolling the die and the death of the bunny. So you have to use it before you roll. The closest to an official ruling I can think of is in the card compendium for the magic spatula where it says http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/28686/card-compendium
Quote:
Allows a Player to counteract
any weapon, abduction, or Roaming Red Run card, or may also be used
to eliminate ‘Defector Detector,’ ‘Identity Crisis,’ ‘Low Jack Kojak,’ ‘The
Mystery Urn’ (TMS must be used before the first die roll is made)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
I don't know if you will find anything "official" but there is no "time" between rolling the die and the death of the bunny. So you have to use it before you roll. The closest to an official ruling I can think of is in the card compendium for the magic spatula where it says http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/28686/card-compendium
Quote:
Allows a Player to counteract
any weapon, abduction, or Roaming Red Run card, or may also be used
to eliminate ‘Defector Detector,’ ‘Identity Crisis,’ ‘Low Jack Kojak,’ ‘The
Mystery Urn’ (TMS must be used before the first die roll is made)

The full quote for TMS is
Quote:
Allows a Player to counteract any weapon, abduction, or Roaming Red Run card, or may also be used to eliminate ‘Defector Detector,’ ‘Identity Crisis,’ ‘Low Jack Kojak,’ ‘The Mystery Urn’ (TMS must be used before the first die roll is made), ‘Rainbo,’ ‘The Trojan Bunny,’ or all ‘Barriers.’

I think that the parenthetical "TMS must be used before the first die roll is made" refers only to ‘The Mystery Urn’ and was probably made because that card calls for a long series of die rolls by multiple players.

With regard to the atomic nature of the die-roll/bunny-death combination, it is of course the case that one can re-roll (e.g., Red Timid Bunny) in between. I suppose one could say that re-rolling is special in this regard - it's really part of the die roll - and that other Special and Very Special cards can't be used between die roll and bunny death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have always tried to play as literally as possible.

if you are redirecting a weapon that has to be done before the outcome. If you think about the weapons as a gun. You can only redirect it before the trigger is pulled, after is just too late.

We play all very special cards before rolls unless the card says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to belabor this.

I agree with you that it makes sense that you have to redirect a weapon (using Reversal of Fortune) before it blows up in your face.

And I think that it makes sense to have a rule that says "no special or very special cards between die roll and bunny death."

I just wish that such a rule were written down somewhere.

With regard to trying to play literally: that was the problem!

There were newbies who wanted to play literally: very special cards can be played "at any time" - and they wanted to pick the "time" just after the die roll.

I wasn't sure how to explain to them that that "time" doesn't really exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take it too seriously it's only Killer bunnies. If they want to have "anytime" be "anytime" then go ahead. It's just a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Don't take it too seriously it's only Killer bunnies. If they want to have "anytime" be "anytime" then go ahead. It's just a game.

This. And we also have many custom house rules in regards to things questionable situations. Vagueness in some rules lead to human interpretation, and that has to be accounted for. Just come up with what you think is fair, and let your guests know a head of time, "This is how we play here".

Everyone that comes to our house knows. That Carrots are picked face down from the pile not at players will. We did this to avoid first carrot grabbers from taking Flo for the free feeding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.