Tim Goodrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm familiarising myself with the basic game by trying 2 player competitive solitaire and a strange initial set-up arose. Three artifacts appeared on Jake Zane's doorstep. The Heart of Loki (4F, 4 Dangers) in the Pacific Northwest, The Cup of the Dark Fire (4F, 4 Dangers) in The Heartland and The Shield of Atlantis (5F, 3 Dangers) in The Great White North. The obvious one to go for is The Shield, but Jake only rolled 2 for movement. He moved to The Heartland but didn't want to go for the Cup in case he got stuck there. (I'd have put in a photo of the board, if I knew how. I looked at the Help, but the talk of image index numbers just left me flummoxed.)

Now the problem, what happens in his Adventure phase. P12 of the rules states "If you are in a Land or Sea space with no Artifact Adventure present during your Adventure phase, roll a die." This is clearly not the case here. Lower down it says "A Hero that is in a space with an Artifact may now go on that Adventure" (my emphasis). So it seems you can choose not to Adventure. So, does nothing at all happen or should this situation be treated as though you were in an empty space?

Of course, if I'd been playing a real opponent, I might just have gone after the Cup, but that's neither here nor there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. when there is adventure on some space you may choose, but you do not roll a die for Event card - nothing is happening
2. on the empty space you roll that die

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this game and had this exact same question. The rules say that in an Adventure space the hero "may" go on that adventure but it doesn't explain what should happen if he chooses not to.

I guess the logical answer is that nothing happens and that player basically passes on his turn but it seems like you could make a case for (1) the hero has to face a danger; (2) the player could "camp down" in the space without facing any dangers; or (3) the player treats it as an empty space.

It would be nice if the intention was spelled out in the rules or FAQ. Does anyone know if there's an official answer?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buried Thorn wrote:
(I'd have put in a photo of the board, if I knew how. I looked at the Help, but the talk of image index numbers just left me flummoxed.)


When you click on an image, the screen that opens will show you a number that is clearly marked as "ImageID". It is to the left of the image itself. Depending on your browser, you may also be able to see this ID number just by mousing over an image without opening it.

To post an image, type this: ImageID=xx. Replace the xx with the ID number, and put square brackets around the whole thing, with no spaces. Quote this post to see what it looks like:



You can also add the words "large", "small", "medium", and maybe "original" to alter the size of the displayed image. For that, you DO add a space. Again, check the quote to see what it looks like:




Quote:
Now the problem, what happens in his Adventure phase. P12 of the rules states "If you are in a Land or Sea space with no Artifact Adventure present during your Adventure phase, roll a die." This is clearly not the case here. Lower down it says "A Hero that is in a space with an Artifact may now go on that Adventure" (my emphasis). So it seems you can choose not to Adventure. So, does nothing at all happen or should this situation be treated as though you were in an empty space?


I'm not aware of an official answer. Usually, you have to read FFP rules as literally as possible, but this case looks like an exception. I assume it means that if you are in a space with no Adventure, then your ONLY option is to roll a die. If you are in a space WITH an adventure, then you can choose to go on the adventure or roll a die for movement.

I realize that's not what it actually says. But the alternatives make no sense. Surely your choices aren't: go on the adventure OR miss all your turns for the rest of the game. You have to be able to continue with a normal turn if you choose not to go adventuring.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure we followed the letter of the rules and had nothing happen if a player didn't want to start the Artifact Adventure.

Rolling the dice as if you were in a space without an adventure makes a lot of sense though and I might play it that way in the future.

Rubric wrote:
I realize that's not what it actually says. But the alternatives make no sense. Surely your choices aren't: go on the adventure OR miss all your turns for the rest of the game. You have to be able to continue with a normal turn if you choose not to go adventuring.


This is after the move phase in the adventure phase, so you would be able to keep moving on your next turn in either case... unless I'm misunderstanding something.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
This is after the move phase in the adventure phase, so you would be able to keep moving on your next turn in either case... unless I'm misunderstanding something.


Oh, I haven't played in a long time either, so I'm probably the one with a misunderstanding.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group assumed, and have always played, that if you choose not to encounter the artifact adventure that you roll a die as if you were on a space without an artifact. That makes the most logical sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Skolo, I simply follow the letter of the rules: you have a choice of going for the artifact or not. But you do not roll the die.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have studied the rules thoroughly and agree it is an ambiguity. It could go either way. I have decided to make it a House Rule that if you don't begin the Artifact Adventure then you do roll a die. My thinking is that the territories are huge, often thousands of square miles, and there is plenty of space for an encounter to occur away fom the Artifact site. Your Hero is an Adventurer after all, and presumably he or she is looking for adventure, or adventure is looking or them. There may be reasons why a Hero would not want to start an adventure (just passing though while en route to a city, waiting for a partner to arrive, etc.), but I don't think the intent is to provide a "safe harbor" so in effect you can "hide out" at an Artifact site without having to roll and risk getting in a fight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbernard wrote:
I have studied the rules thoroughly and agree it is an ambiguity. It could go either way. I have decided to make it a House Rule that if you don't begin the Artifact Adventure then you do roll a die. My thinking is that the territories are huge, often thousands of square miles, and there is plenty of space for an encounter to occur away fom the Artifact site. Your Hero is an Adventurer after all, and presumably he or she is looking for adventure, or adventure is looking or them. There may be reasons why a Hero would not want to start an adventure (just passing though while en route to a city, waiting for a partner to arrive, etc.), but I don't think the intent is to provide a "safe harbor" so in effect you can "hide out" at an Artifact site without having to roll and risk getting in a fight.


I agree with your house rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always go for the artefakt.
Even when I am heading for a different location, I can just as well grab a few glory on my way there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.