Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if someone in Geekland could enlighten me on this historical question: Where the old S'Boats already fitted with the TDC before the war started or were some or all refitted with the TDC after the war started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia says that TDCs were retrofitted on the Dolphin and Salmon classes. The Tambor class subs were the first to be designed with an onboard TDC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thompson

New hope
Minnesota
msg tools
Your question got my gears turning cause I love s-boats and am frustrated with the lack of information available on them. I looked through my copy of "U.S. submarines through 1945" by Norman Friedman and it talks about a major refit on s-boats in 1943 which included things like surface radar, air radar, air conditioning, added 20mm guns, and improved sonar. But nothing about a TDC. Since the TDC was a cutting edge computer at the time and it's not noted in the s-boat refits I'm guessing they had to soldier on using old fashion geometry to get there fish on target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking on what you said ,Bill(and if true);there should be rules for S'Boats not using the TDC chits when firing on Jap ships;what do you think about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thompson

New hope
Minnesota
msg tools
I think the TDC chits in the game represent a good or bad setup for an attack vs a literal use of the TDC computer. I also think the low tactical, and attack number assigned to the s-boat reflects the primitive fire control of having to calculate firing solutions by hand. That said i think you should try some s-boat patrols without using the TDC chits just to see what happens, on one hand it would eliminate the desired minus chits but it would also get rid of the plus chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "sugar" boats did not have the TDC. They were withdrawn by mid '42.

Read "War in the boats" by Capt. William J Ruhe. Great read and great info on S boat conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.