Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The email I received about the sale indicates it includes Craft Smart, FolkArt, Americana, and Martha Stewart brand paints.

These are acrylic paints which are useful for miniature hobbyists (painting terrain and even figures if sufficiently thinned) and may be to board game designers for painting prototype components or boards.

[Edit: Spelling in subject.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Acme... Two Words - Product Liability!!
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Craft paint on sale at 40% util September 1st at Michael's [US]
A quick internet search will reveal coupons for Michaels including a 15% and 25% one that is valid on your entire order including sale items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Steinfort
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Craft paint on sale at 40% util September 1st at Michael's [US]
The Underwriter wrote:
A quick internet search will reveal coupons for Michaels including a 15% and 25% one that is valid on your entire order including sale items.

Yes, and they are also willing to scan said coupons from your smart phone. Very handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested in seeing whether their new sets of Glass Paint are similar to Testor's {the properties of which create unique effects with miniatures that other paints don't [readily] achieve).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm...can't find these stinking coupons. I have a 50% off one item one, but not the 15-25% off everything ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
I'm interested in seeing whether their new sets of Glass Paint are similar to Testor's {the properties of which create unique effects with miniatures that other paints don't [readily] achieve).

I hadn't thought of that application for the glass paint, but now that you mention it, I am eager to try them. However, I don't know if the glass paints are included in the 40% off sale. Regardless, I will buy some when I am there to take advantage of the subject sale and try them out. If I can get some good results and good photos of those results, I'll post them somewhere around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Steinfort
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancyr wrote:
Hrm...can't find these stinking coupons. I have a 50% off one item one, but not the 15-25% off everything ones.

I went to their website and followed a link to the weekly ad: http://weeklyad.michaels.com/ Both the craft paint and the coupons are both listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jsteinfo wrote:
Necromancyr wrote:

I went to their website and followed a link to the weekly ad: http://weeklyad.michaels.com/ Both the craft paint and the coupons are both listed.

Also, they have an app (for iOS, not sure for Android) hat has their coupons on it and they will Sam it right from the phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with 40% off it's still cheaper at Walmart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone every seen cyan in any of those Craft Paints like Folk Arts paint? I thought I saw one once in another brand, didn't pick it up, and the next time I went to buy it they had rearranged all the paints, so couldn't find it. They have a ton of this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

Which paints are you comparing? They have a tiny selection at Walmart compared to Michaels and the Apple Barrel paints I get are $.99 each before any discounts at Michaels. Plus, then I don't have to go to Walmart. Win-win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

Which paints are you comparing? They have a tiny selection at Walmart compared to Michaels and the Apple Barrel paints I get are $.99 each before any discounts at Michaels. Plus, then I don't have to go to Walmart. Win-win.

Apple Barrel and Folk Art. I'm not a Walmart fan, but I'm even less of a fan of retailers that jack their prices through the roof and then offer regular 40% off coupons. At least Walmart doesn't make me jump through hoops to get the real price, or try to sucker me into paying a huge markup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
iguano wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

Apple Barrel and Folk Art. I'm not a Walmart fan, but I'm even less of a fan of retailers that jack their prices through the roof and then offer regular 40% off coupons. At least Walmart doesn't make me jump through hoops to get the real price, or try to sucker me into paying a huge markup.

I dislike Michaels high prices and those 40 off coupons, I would rather buy online, gee, give me a break, usually for one item and for me the gas isn't worth the trip, I get get tired of this crap. WallyMart is my first pick, but the selection can be slim. We had a Ben Franklin they always had a huge bin of discounted Folk Art/Apple Barrel paints. I could always find 5 or 6 colors I could make do, they changed to an AC Moore, the paint discount bin seems to be token now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
iguano wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

That's a good point. I would never buy anything from Michaels at full price and consider 40% off deals to bring it down to a normal price where it should have been to begin with. Still, they d have a fantastic selection of paints. Aside from the paints, I get some things at Michaels I can't find elsewhere but that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So...the 15/25% off is a local thing if it's coming up in that WeeklyAd web page - mine only shows 30-40% off random single items in certain categories.

In the actual store, they had an ad (printed) for 15% off everything through Sept. 4-5th.

So, with the coupon, this is a bit YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you!
Michael's still had Americana acrylic for 40% off so 71 cents each plus I got an extra 40% off from the online coupon to make my purchase of 11 paints come out to $4.98 which is 45 cents each
Then they gave me a 50% off one item coupon so Ill use that next time to get matte spray
Great deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any paint sold at Michael's or Hobby Lobby which is suitable for painting miniatures? I'm looking to put together a starter-set for my daughter who wants to try out miniatures, but the variety of paints (and prices!) are daunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
fiveolddogs wrote:
Is there any paint sold at Michael's or Hobby Lobby which is suitable for painting miniatures? I'm looking to put together a starter-set for my daughter who wants to try out miniatures, but the variety of paints (and prices!) are daunting.

It all depends on who you talk to. I use the cheaper acrylic paints that I can get from Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Others will argue that you need to pay the big $$ for Reaper brand paints. I haven't tried them, so I can't say if they are better. However, I think my minis turn out OK.

Trolls from Legend of Drizzt

Here are some brands I've used.

Craftsmart are by far the cheapest but I prefer Americana as I feel like I have to use more of Craftsmart to get the same type of coverage that I do with a lesser amount of Americana. Ceramcoat isn't much different than Americana.

If you are new to mini painting then the real trick is either dipping or antiquing. I use antiquing. You can search here on BGG for info on dipping.

I use Americana's Staining & Antiquing Medium. Once my minis have been painted and I've applied a coat of sealant (Krylon Clear Finish) I'll then mix up some antiquing medium. I coat the mini with the medium and wait a bit then wipe dab it off with an old t-shirt (press too hard and you'll remove the paint ... even with the sealant). The antiquing medium fills up all of the crevices and really makes the mini pop. It also does a great job of hiding painting flaws. Once the antiquing has dried, I'll apply another coat of sealer.

Don't forget something to wash your brushes (I believe Michaels has an Americana brand brush wash). Some people like to spray their minis with primer before painting them as well. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for that great reply.

Do you have to thin these paints before use?

Also, do you get involved with oil based paints? It seems like everything I read about paints these days is about water based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you found it useful. I'm not going to win any contests with my skills or methods, but its relatively easy and it looks better than unpainted minis.

In regards to your questions, I do not thin these paints nor have I used oil-based paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.