Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We had a situation where a spell was on the third resolution step (the Delivery) and the card allowed several new cards to be drawn and added to the Source. We were in conflict over whether that spell was allowed to roll back to an earlier resolution step to implement the effects of the newly added cards. If my explanation is clear enough, does anybody have an answer on this?

I would like to assume that once a resolution step is complete that the spell doesn't roll back and revisit the earlier stages due to cards being added after-the-fact. (We ended up letting it play out and by the end, that one spell had 3 source cards, 1 quality card, and 3 delivery cards and it was ridiculous.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that a step that is done is done unless a card says to go back. Not an official answer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You would add it to the end of your spell (even if it's a source) and it would resolve normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Any parts you add to the spell will still resolve. Doesn't matter if you "already passed that component resolution."

They do resolve in order... so if you added a Quality and another Delivery, the Quality would resolve before the extra Delivery. If you add 2 Deliveries, the higher Initiative resolves first.

Note that once your spell starts to resolve that it will finish. If you suddenly add a card to a 2-card spell via Pew and Pew or something, you don't pause your spell and wait for the 3-card spell resolutions.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Matt Hyra wrote:
Any parts you add to the spell will still resolve. Doesn't matter if you "already passed that component resolution."

They do resolve in order... so if you added a Quality and another Delivery, the Quality would resolve before the extra Delivery. If you add 2 Deliveries, the higher Initiative resolves first.

Note that once your spell starts to resolve that it will finish. If you suddenly add a card to a 2-card spell via Pew and Pew or something, you don't pause your spell and wait for the 3-card spell resolutions.

I appreciate the reply but you're not really making things any clearer. I am having difficulty parsing out your language in the last paragraph.

You're saying that they resolve in order but if a spell is already in the Delivery stage (the final/third stage) and new cards are added that include Source or Quality cards, does that spell roll back to those stages temporarily to resolve those cards or (as another user suggested) are the new cards simply piled up into the current stage regardless of what stage they would normally be part of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What he is saying is that if you play a 2 card spell (Pew and Pew's Death Wish for example) and you get another card from P/P ability, you would not stop and wait for the "3 card turn." You would continue to resolve the rest of your spell.

All cards in your spell resolve once, in Source, Quality, and Delivery order. The order inside of that doesn't matter except Deliveries, where the higher initiative Delivery would resolve first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new cards added to a spell will resolve, even if you add a Source and a Quality during the Delivery of your initial spell. The new cards are added to the spell in the order than makes the most sense, but if their stage of the spell has passed, put them at the end (in order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for all the replies (even if some of them are trying to answer questions that I am not asking!).

My concern over adding cards into a spell that is already in progress is that there is a small chance for an effect where drawing new cards to add to a phase that has already passed will also end up producing cards that require drawing more cards and/or duplicating the effects of another card of a different phase (that might also require drawing and adding cards). It's not as unlikely as it seems - we had one instance of the crazy card accumulation that resulted in a single spell with eight cards in it.

The rules say to play out the spell phases/stages in order - this is why I am asking for a clear ruling on how to deal with a card of an earlier phase being added to a spell in progress. I know that you don't roll the entire spell back to the start and replay cards that have already played but wanted to be clear that the newly added cards are actually put into effect (again, even though the rules say to play the spell phases in sequence).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
As long as your Wizard is not dead, every card that is in your spell will resolve, no matter what.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Matt Hyra wrote:
As long as your Wizard is not dead, every card that is in your spell will resolve, no matter what.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're getting hung up on the "phases" try thinking of it this way: it's actually an iterated search. You look down the spell from source to delivery until you find an unresolved component and resolve it. Then you start from the beginning looking for unresolved components again. Keep doing this until you get a pass with no unresolved components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.