Subject: RSP Geeklists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a separate category for geeklists that pertain to material that may venture into sexual, religious or political discussions. Currently these topics are not allowed in geeklists, but can only be be referenced in forum threads. Geeklists allow multiple topics to be discussed in one larger header. These would still of course be hidden from the front page so as to not offend those who do not wish to view them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RSP Geeklista
Hot button issues just make tempers flair. Why create a fire on which posters will pour gasoline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate that an RSP geeklist would be wide open to controversial subjects, and that some will use this to enflame and antagonize others. This however is already permissible on the RSP forums so I don't see any significant change from current protocol on this issue.

My personal concern is that issues and topics which even touch upon religion, sex or politics are not allowed in geeklists which is restrictive on what social geeklists can be created.

Making an RSP sections for geeklists seems like a fair compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I appreciate that an RSP geeklist would be wide open to controversial subjects, and that some will use this to enflame and antagonize others. This however is already permissible on the RSP forums so I don't see any significant change from current protocol on this issue.

My personal concern is that issues and topics which even touch upon religion, sex or politics are not allowed in geeklists which is restrictive on what social geeklists can be created.

Interesting point. Though I do NOT believe there is any rule banning religion, sex, or politics from being discussed in a geeklist - or even against them being the main topic of a list. There certainly have been geeklists that would seem to fit the RSP heading. And sometimes (I speak from experience...), geeklists that were not intended to be about religion, sex, or politics, have a discussion erupt that is definitely RSP-ish. (Quebec...)

As I understand it the only differentiation on geeklists currently is auctions vs non-auctions. I guess on balance I'd rather avoid subdividing this further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Interesting point. Though I do NOT believe there is any rule banning religion, sex, or politics from being discussed in a geeklist - or even against them being the main topic of a list. There certainly have been geeklists that would seem to fit the RSP heading. And sometimes (I speak from experience...), geeklists that were not intended to be about religion, sex, or politics, have a discussion erupt that is definitely RSP-ish. (Quebec...)

As I understand it the only differentiation on geeklists currently is auctions vs non-auctions. I guess on balance I'd rather avoid subdividing this further.

Not true, I had a geek list taken down as being overtly political. Yet I have seen equally political geek lists kept, I suspect its all about what gets reported. I was also suspended over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules explicitly state the only place where religion, sex and politics are allowed to be discussed is in the RSP forum. Currently threads which discuss rsp topics are moved to this forum, geeklists can only be removed.

Indeed. It is up to the community to report or not report topics.

Given that auction geeklists are currently separated from other geeklists, creating an rsp section for geeklists seems like it would be fairly easy to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geeklists need categorization to help each individual user filter out what they want to see from what they don't. The signal to noise ratio is horrible. If Auction/Trade geeklists can get their own module, why not allow for game-specific geeklists that would only appear on said game's page, an Off-Topic module, and an RSP module? When considering just how many different kinds of geeklists that appear on the site, some way of filtering would be nice.

Edit: Regarding the rules pertaining to Religious, Sexual and Political posts and topics...
...every time each one of us click on Reply to post, right below the text box is the following:

Quote:
By posting a message you agree to follow the Community Rules
The Short List: Use common courtesy in your posts & Respect others

Clicking on the Community Rules link displays the Long List of rules, one of which is "Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics outside of the designated Religion, Sex, and Politics forum".

So, even with Geeklists, by posting RSP issues in a geeklist, you're agreeing to follow the rules, then breaking them.

BGG relies on the userbase to help moderate the site. As a result, disciplinary action is going to appear to be uneven, but the rules are clearly stated and anyone that creates geeklists with a religious, sexual or political bent is putting themselves at the mercy of a Mod or Admin. You reap what you sow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Not true, I had a geek list taken down as being overtly political. Yet I have seen equally political geek lists kept, I suspect its all about what gets reported. I was also suspended over it.

I wasn't aware of that. I've never noticed it anyway - obviously missed it when that happened to yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.