Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya folks,
My wife and I just picked up Barons in a trade and are playing it for the first couple times. She noticed something right away, that just laying down lands (cards face down) and taxing for cards is the most direct way to build a church/cathedral. I could not think of a reason why she wasn't correct. I am hoping that this is only because we are new to the game. Here's what we found. If you just lay down lands and tax each turn, then build that Church and discard your hand, then rinse and repeat until you have 2 of each card, you win. Game lasts like 15 minutes and unless you go on the attack, which isn't helping your own win-conditons, you can't hope to slow your opponent.

Please tell us we are missing something. We love games like Irondale and this seemed like a good fit but unless we're missing something, it seem fairly flawed. I hope not.

Thanks for your help,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you try to counter it by doing the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can absolutely defeat an all-land strategy, but it does look very strong at first. The all-land strategy is an easy way to win in 12 turns, but it is vulnerable to knights and can be routinely outpaced by a well-chosen early building. However, Barons is definitely a game about judging when to build infrastructure and when to just play lands and tax, not about just building lots and lots of buildings. The optimal play is generally a few solid buildings that work together (unless you use the mason's lodge). There is a lengthier discussion of this here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/654574/lets-talk-about-a...

That said, I agree that it can be a little disappointing (especially when you are new to the game) that all-lands is as strong as it is, given that it is boring. For that reason, there is a variant I really like where buildings are taxable. This maintains most of the existing dynamics, but further discourages an all-land strategy. The regular game does work, but I personally prefer that variant. It definitely gives early building strategies a distinct edge. There are a few other accompanying changes to make the taxable-buildings change balanced. See details here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/810726/shanghai-variant-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick feedback. It is disappointing. We were talking about a house rule where you can't build a church until you have at least one of each color building. Just a bummer that this game seems to need a fix like that.

Still interested on what other people have to say. We love the premise of the game and really want to like it, so we're open to what other folks have found.

Thanks for your thoughts,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
What happens if you try to counter it by doing the same thing?

Whoever goes first in the game wins one turn earlier than you would have usually. Really seems like a design issue.

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The all knights (Usurp the throne) strategy will destroy the all lands strategy. Plus there is that blue card that makes you discard down to 4+ your number of buildings and there are several of that card.

No prob.

On top of that, there are many different single color strategies that beat the all land strategy. In fact, there is easily a strategy within each color that can win the game in under 12 turns.

Sure, you are not rewarded for making a grand barony with a bazillion sweet buildings, but in my eyes it works very similarly to dominion. In dominion, buying one of each card is probably the very worst strategy you can possibly employ. Instead, you want to focus on just a few different cards, and meanwhile be sure to keep buying money. In Barons, yes lands are important. But even just buying 1 or two buildings geared towards the goal of getting a Cathedral (not geared towards making a sweet Barony) will easily cut your 12 turns into 9-10. That's not to say that the game should only last 9-10 turns. That is where the knights come in. While they do indeed seem underpowered, buy overdeveloping one of the colors you are able to basically have "extra" money lying around. Use this to mess with your opponents and presto! we have a winner. However, experienced players will also be doing this to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.