12 Posts

Warhammer Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pit of Despair Spell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Franz
Canada
flag msg tools
In a recent adventure, Return the Staff, our Warriors made it to the Idol Chamber Objective room and they ended up surrounded by a horde of orcs, goblins and snotlings! Every single square in the Idol Chamber and some on the adjacent room were occupied by a model. I had my Wizard throw a Pit of Despair towards the back of the chamber in front of the Idol where there were four orc archers. Since there were no empty adjacent squares that the orcs could leap to safety,even if they made the roll, we ruled that all four orc archers fell into the pit.

Did we rule this correctly or were we wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
vfran wrote:
In a recent adventure, Return the Staff, our Warriors made it to the Idol Chamber Objective room and they ended up surrounded by a horde of orcs, goblins and snotlings! Every single square in the Idol Chamber and some on the adjacent room were occupied by a model. I had my Wizard throw a Pit of Despair towards the back of the chamber in front of the Idol where there were four orc archers. Since there were no empty adjacent squares that the orcs could leap to safety,even if they made the roll, we ruled that all four orc archers fell into the pit.

Sounds exactly right.

On a score of 3, 4, 5 or 6 it scrambles out of the way - place it in any empty square on this or any adjacent board section. If there are no empty squares available the model falls into the pit anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
9 dragons
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer wrote:
vfran wrote:

Sounds exactly right.

On a score of 3, 4, 5 or 6 it scrambles out of the way - place it in any empty square on this or any adjacent board section. If there are no empty squares available the model falls into the pit anyway.

Of course if there were empty squares on the adjacent board section, then you played it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Franz
Canada
flag msg tools
jmarcus wrote:
the_bummer wrote:
vfran wrote:

Sounds exactly right.

Of course if there were empty squares on the adjacent board section, then you played it wrong.

Yes, we played it wrong then. Drat! We won't make the same mistake again. Thanks for the clarification guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
vfran wrote:
jmarcus wrote:
the_bummer wrote:
vfran wrote:

Sounds exactly right.

Yes, we played it wrong then. Drat! We won't make the same mistake again. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Just when you think you legitimately beat the dungeon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good rule of thumb when playing Warhammer Quest is that if at any point you feel you're doing well, you're probably playing it wrong. Or you're the Wardancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure you played that wrong. I haven't seen the wording on the original pit for some time but I don't remember them having any contingency plan for the spaces around the pit not being empty (classic gw flop if I remember correctly). In the right hands pit is horribly overpowered as technically I don't think it even gave a free pass to flyers before...

For my revision I simply ruled that if the spaces are surrounded then they fell in regardless unless they were large monsters (push other models out of the way) or had fly. Additionally to curb the abuse I ruled that it could only be successfully cast once per title (once as a novice twice as a champion etc).

Welcome to wizard rules, tons of spells and more than a few ways to create rules conflicts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Additionally to curb the abuse I ruled that it could only be successfully cast once per title (once as a novice twice as a champion etc).

Ok, not knowing what else your rulings contain...a starting wizard drawing Pit of Despair as their attack spell only gets to use it once in the entire first dungeon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Franz
Canada
flag msg tools
I explained the proper use of the Pit of Despair spell to my brother today before our game session, "Nurgle's Rot". He said, "That doesn't make sense! So the monsters are going to leap over all the other figures, go through the door and over the figures there and land on an empty space?" I agreed that it does not make much sense but those are the rules. He thinks that the monsters should only be able to jump onto an adjacent empty sqaure surrounding the pit and if there is not one, then the models fall in automatically. I said we would discuss it more later.
But now it does not matter as my Wizard was killed trying to escape this really tough dungeon!! cry My brother is dissapointed as we worked hard to get our warriors up to battle level two and now there were three...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vfran wrote:
I explained the proper use of the Pit of Despair spell to my brother today before our game session, "Nurgle's Rot". He said, "That doesn't make sense! So the monsters are going to leap over all the other figures, go through the door and over the figures there and land on an empty space?" I agreed that it does not make much sense but those are the rules. He thinks that the monsters should only be able to jump onto an adjacent empty sqaure surrounding the pit and if there is not one, then the models fall in automatically. I said we would discuss it more later.
But now it does not matter as my Wizard was killed trying to escape this really tough dungeon!! cry My brother is dissapointed as we worked hard to get our warriors up to battle level two and now there were three...

Remind him that he's not really a Warrior battling in a dungeon. And that there aren't really wizard who cast magic spells. And you wouldn't really be able to carry two sets of armour, 4 shields, and 40 swords at the same time...

Sometimes the rules are a means to an end. WHQ avoids all the "reasoning" so that you can enjoy other aspects of the game. The whole point is that if you don't follow the rules, the Pit of Despair spell is too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry the true power of pit of despair isn't killing monsters, its creating terrain. Surrounded? drop a pit so at least one side of the party is free from attack. Big nasty melee monster coming up behind you and you? drop a pit!

The only things that can traverse them are flying monsters. and once you get into the late game when you have transport of the damned (remember to save that luck point...) you can bottleneck nearly all the big badies into uselessly flailing on your tank!

Assure your friend that there are plenty of wizard spells that when played as written are horribly abusive just in case he thinks the wizard is weak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quests-of-Legend
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
bobthebobish wrote:
Big nasty melee monster coming up behind you and you? drop a pit!

If this happened to me, I'm not sure it'll be a pit I'd be dropping........although they do sound similar. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.