Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Libertalia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Landlubber's Leftovers: A 2-player Booty Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great little game, but playing this with two needs a little something more. Therefore, I propose this booty variant for 2-player games:

Instead of two booty tokens per day, place three. During the dusk phase of a day, the player with the highest ranked character collects the booty token of his/her choice, as usual. After this first looter takes a booty token, he/she then takes the remaining two tokens and mixes them up (this could be in a separate bag, or he/she could simply mix them up in his/her hands and hold them in his/her cupped hands above the other player's eye level). The next player then randomly draws one of the two remaining tokens.

In this variant, if, after the highest ranked player takes booty, there is still a good token and a bad one remaining, you still have a chance at gaining the good one. This eliminates any need to play with a dummy 3rd player.

One could even modify this, if they so desired, so that if, during set-up, two of the three booty tokens drawn for a day are bad ones (Spanish officer or cursed relic), the last bad one drawn is placed back in the bag and another one is drawn until a good one comes up. This way, the second looter would always have a chance at a good booty token, though they aren't given a choice. I'll leave this for others to decided on, but I prefer the variant I proposed above without the modification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of hopping around and shuffling tiles...we've found the game just fine with two, a nice strategic double-think game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really think playing 2 player doesn't provide enough strategic challenges, why not have each player play 2 decks? Doesn't require any additional rules, and now you've got 2 cards to play every turn, and so does your opponent.

Additionally, either add their score together for a final score, or do the Kinizia thing of having your final score be the lower of your two scores...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
If you really think playing 2 player doesn't provide enough strategic challenges, why not have each player play 2 decks? Doesn't require any additional rules, and now you've got 2 cards to play every turn, and so does your opponent.

Additionally, either add their score together for a final score, or do the Kinizia thing of having your final score be the lower of your two scores...


I didn't say it didn't provide enough strategic challenges. But I like my little variant because if one of the days has one good booty and one bad one, the person with the lowest ranked character is guaranteed to get the bad one. While that's true regardless of what number of players you have, your chances of getting stuck with the bad one as the second highest ranking character are greater in a 2-player. The variant I proposed eliminates the need to play with a dummy 3rd-player or playing two hands apiece as you've suggested, which is more hassle than what I've proposed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbias84 wrote:

In this variant, if, after the highest ranked player takes booty, there is still a good token and a bad one remaining, you still have a chance at gaining the good one. This eliminates any need to play with a dummy 3rd player.
I'm confused...is there some official 2p variant that involves a dummy player?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
dbias84 wrote:

In this variant, if, after the highest ranked player takes booty, there is still a good token and a bad one remaining, you still have a chance at gaining the good one. This eliminates any need to play with a dummy 3rd player.
I'm confused...is there some official 2p variant that involves a dummy player?


No, but one could easily do so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.