Subject: Usage of Optional Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just a couple weeks new to TS. In my little bit of reading on the game, I get the impression that the Optional Cards included in the Deluxe edition are in fairly standard usage.

Looking for some feedback from the community - should I just always shuffle the Optional Cards in with the rest, or are there still a lot of games played out there without them? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people add the optional cards to their game these days. There are other rules (ie extra influence for the USA) that some people still prefer to help the winning disparity between the USA and the USSR as some feel that NORAD changes the game dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played about 30 games of TS and only 2-3 of them with optional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Once deluxe came out I've been playing exclusively with the deluxe deck and optional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I experimented with a the optionals for a brief while. Dropped Norad. Dropped the rest not long after.

If you like them, play with them. If you don't, don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bloggs
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the comments are showing it depends on how long you've been playing this game.

Personally my first version was the Deluxe edition and I can't imagine playing a game WITHOUT the optional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
To tell the truth, for me it doesn't matter much. I often play 2nd edition with 3 extra IP for US, but also DeLuxe with 0, 1 or 2 extra IP for US. And I enjoy all variants. I think if you're new, you can quietly play with the optional cards without giving IP to the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Once deluxe came out I've been playing exclusively with the deluxe deck and optional cards.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ioan76_TM wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Same here.

Same here. NORAD is powerfull if played early, but even being in the US hand doesn't guarantee that it will be played as an event because of other factors. It's one of those cards that, even though they are in the deck, doesn't mean that they're get played consistently, like say Marshall or East European.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.