Popular Tags: [View All]
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I convinced The Boy to play a boardgame, since he's on academic probation for other forms of entertainment. He agreed. Note, this is the first time he played DQ.

He was El-Adoran. I picked Sir Rohan.

Early on, I made good progress, until I hit a darkness room. Then I spent half the game going back out the way I came. shake

The Boy, despite having some cave in rooms, made a pretty fast advance to the dragon's lair. Just at the halfway point, he made it and drew 500 gold pieces of loot.

Did he wake the dragon? NO! OF COURSE NOT! ninja

After setting off traps looking for a secret door, I eventually made it to the lair and grabbed a bunch o' loot. Alas, there was not enough time for me to make it out alive, but that didn't stop my greedy, tincan ass to try to make it out.

Meanwhile, The Boy retraced his steps back to his entrance. He decided to risk a new route, in order to avoid the cave ins, and it almost cost him the game. However, Avundra must have smiled on my son. He found a secret door, and scooted down to the second to last room out. A door, however, barred his way.

He first set off a trap, which caused him no damage. The second time, it popped open easily.... and the little monkey escaped with 520 gp (found 20 gp off a dead dude on his way to the lair).

I became dragon kibble.

The End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear, Fear is the Mind-Killer;
Luck, really Bad Luck (& Dragons, & Bottomless Pits, & Nightfall, etc.) do in the rest of us.

Sounds like a fun game, and I'm glad to see he didn't choose the cheesy, "loot the corpses fast and then get out and let the others do the dying" strategy, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like old-school Classic DungeonQuest, too, by the character names.

Nice report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herendil66 wrote:
Fear, Fear is the Mind-Killer;
Luck, really Bad Luck (& Dragons, & Bottomless Pits, & Nightfall, etc.) do in the rest of us.

Sounds like a fun game, and I'm glad to see he didn't choose the cheesy, "loot the corpses fast and then get out and let the others do the dying" strategy, either.

Nah, I impressed upon him the priority of getting to the lair and then getting the hell out. The dead bodies popped up only once. The crypts came up more often and were all traps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Sounds like old-school Classic DungeonQuest, too, by the character names.

Nice report!

Yep, old school. The second time he played, his god-dom was diminished. He got the patented WHO THE !@*#@# BUILT THIS PLACE?! room selection and lost about the third turn in. We just restarted and began anew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looove this game. It wasn't always so. But once I grokked the whole cartoony, go-big-or-go-home aspect of it, I had to have it!

I have two copies of the GW version and 1 of the FFG version. But I'm sooo close to pulling the trigger on a second FFG set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
I have two copies of the GW version and 1 of the FFG version. But I'm sooo close to pulling the trigger on a second FFG set.

Why so many copies, Brady? Do you combine them in some way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.