Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solitaire rules, Alone Against the Bugs, I'm a little confused as to how many beam weapons can emerge throughout the game for each sector. Since there is only one beam weapon counter for each arachnid group I always assumed that it was only one. Once you destroyed it for that sector then the beam weapon never emerged again for that sector. But, after reading the rules more carefully it often refers to beam weapons (emphasis on the plural). For example in the Mission One objective it states to "destroy every beam and warrior in this sector." To me this implies more than one otherwise it should have just stated "destroy the beam weapon and every warrior in that sector." Is this just a simple oversight of wording or can there be more than one beam weapon per sector? Also, in Rule 6 under "Battling the Bugs", it states that the Terran must roll for beam weapon attacks as long as the combat brain in that sector is alive and on-planet (even if captured)." I take this to me even if all of the warriors have been killed. Initially I just disregarded this if the beam weapon had been destroyed but now I'm not sure.

So basically my question boils down to:

1)Can there be more than one beam weapon per sector per turn? If so, does one appear for each breach each turn (as long as the brain is alive)? or..

2)Can there be more than one beam weapon per sector per game with only one appearing per turn (again, as long as the combat brain is alive)? or..

3)Is there only one beam weapon per sector per game (regardless if the combat brain is alive or not)?

If point 1 or 2 is true, then it appears the only way to successfully complete Mission One is to destroy the combat brain since a beam weapon will continuously emerge as long as the brain is alive. If point 3 is true, then the mission could be completed without killing the brain.

Thanks,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile, but I think I played with each bug sector only having one beam weapon and one set of warriors. And to complete the mission, I had to kill/capture the brain. Although, allowing beam weapons to continually spawn would make the game more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
In the solitaire rules, Alone Against the Bugs, I'm a little confused as to how many beam weapons can emerge throughout the game for each sector. Since there is only one beam weapon counter for each arachnid group I always assumed that it was only one. Once you destroyed it for that sector then the beam weapon never emerged again for that sector. But, after reading the rules more carefully it often refers to beam weapons (emphasis on the plural). For example in the Mission One objective it states to "destroy every beam and warrior in this sector." To me this implies more than one otherwise it should have just stated "destroy the beam weapon and every warrior in that sector." Is this just a simple oversight of wording or can there be more than one beam weapon per sector? Also, in Rule 6 under "Battling the Bugs", it states that the Terran must roll for beam weapon attacks as long as the combat brain in that sector is alive and on-planet (even if captured)." I take this to me even if all of the warriors have been killed. Initially I just disregarded this if the beam weapon had been destroyed but now I'm not sure.

So basically my question boils down to:

1)Can there be more than one beam weapon per sector per turn? If so, does one appear for each breach each turn (as long as the brain is alive)? or..

2)Can there be more than one beam weapon per sector per game with only one appearing per turn (again, as long as the combat brain is alive)? or..

3)Is there only one beam weapon per sector per game (regardless if the combat brain is alive or not)?

If point 1 or 2 is true, then it appears the only way to successfully complete Mission One is to destroy the combat brain since a beam weapon will continuously emerge as long as the brain is alive. If point 3 is true, then the mission could be completed without killing the brain.

Thanks,
Tim

I'm the guy who designed Alone Against the Bugs. Sorry for the time that has gone by since the original post, but I don't check the SST page very often.

The intent of the rules was once a unit is dead, it stays dead and doesn't resurrect. So each hive has only one beam weapon for the entire game. Once you destroy it, it doesn't come back.

The key phrase to keep in mind here is the last sentence of the introduction to the article: "All regular rules for Starship Troopers are in effect unless amended by the the following."

Glad to hear you're enjoying the solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to play this game. I've owned a mint copy for years and never played it. So many games, so little time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rick, it's never to late to get an answer

Although I know that in solitaire play one can play it like they want but I like to play it in the spirit of the original intent and design too.

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.