Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With apologies to bhz's preceding thread.

In the Android world Jinteki and Haas-Bioroid are the main competitors in the android market. They would definitely like to know what the other is up to. Both would want to keep an eye on Weyland to be able to plan for future models.

Any Competitor to Weyland would almost certainly deal with either Jinteki or HB, so Weyland would monitor both to see if anyone else is ordering a large workforce.

The "News of the World" scandal of the last year is all you need to explain how NBN gets some of the news they report. And the others would want to know what NBN knows that they haven't reported (yet).

The point is any of the Corps have motive to become runners. And each would have some unique resources to bring to the network. So it certainly fits the theme for the Corps to be Runners. They each would want "deniability", so their activity would be restricted to small, seemingly independent groups.

Would a Corp run against itself? Sure. To test security.

So it could be that the Corps themselves could become Runner identities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But they'd still have to be using Runner (red) cards and not corporate (blue) cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure some runners are mercenaries hired by corporations to sabotage and spy on other corporations. I bet that will be a Criminal identity back story coming up in one of the Hack Packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that would be balanced, as the corp-runners would only be good against specific corps and you'd get the rock-paper-scissors effect. Good idea though, but I just don't see it catching on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
But they'd still have to be using Runner (red) cards and not corporate (blue) cards.

Of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires wrote:
I'm sure some runners are mercenaries hired by corporations to sabotage and spy on other corporations. I bet that will be a Criminal identity back story coming up in one of the Hack Packs.

Criminal would be the closest of the existing factions, but the motive and resources would be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
I don't think that would be balanced, as the corp-runners would only be good against specific corps and you'd get the rock-paper-scissors effect. Good idea though, but I just don't see it catching on.

Why just one Corp as target. They all have reasons to run each of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smells like Shadowrun... not that it's a bad thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaper – NBN Spy
45/15
Every time an agenda is stolen the corporation gains one bad publicity.

Criminal – HB Spy
45/15
First time you install something on your turn gain one bit.

Anarch - Weyland Spy
45/15
The first time a corporation gains a bit on his turn you also gain a bit.

Criminal – Jinteki Spy
45/15
Whenever an agenda is scored the cooperation must send one random card from the HQ to the archives. If he has no cards in the HQ send the top card of the R&D instead.

I'm going to try these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as we work through these, try to think of the overall utility of the capability.

Jinteki's special is going to happen 3-5 times (of import) across a game. The last agenda score is irrelevant to their special.

Weyland's special is worth 6 [Credit] if all existing 6 transactions get played. More if you Archived Memory a Transaction out of the Archives (but that seems... silly).

HB's special is potentially worth in [Credits] the number of turns in the game - but also realize that it's offsetting rather high up front costs for that Corp.

NBN's special is very situational and probably worth 4-6 [Credits] that matter across the course of the game.

Noise's ability will happen up to 10 times in an OOB set, more if you load up on extra viruses and pull them out of the heap with Deja Vu.

Kate's ability is probably worth about 9-11 [Credits], maybe more if you have to reinstall things after a program wipe.

Gabriel's ability is potentially 2*number of turns in the game, but is more likely to be worth in the 10-14 [Credit] range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's an interesting idea, but I am not sure how it will work in tournament environment. A Jinteki hacker against Jinteki?! Probably a rogue, vindictive runner, but still... A:NR seems incredibly tournament friendly so I don't think that this idea will see the light of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:

That's an interesting idea, but I am not sure how it will work in tournament environment. A Jinteki hacker against Jinteki?! Probably a rogue, vindictive runner, but still... A:NR seems incredibly tournament friendly so I don't think that this idea will see the light of day.

I would think that the tournament environment is where theme will matter the least. It would just be another choice of an identity, chosen for it's ability and the cards that the player wants in the deck.

While this could be implemented by having "spy" identities for the existing factions, having their own factions would allow for some interesting new cards. For example, icebreakers with AI (or precognition).

The idea that the runner could be a "disgruntled ex-employee" (or a defective product) is interesting.

This is just a speculation, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would feel very much like Shadowrun, where the runners are hired to attack other Corps.

You could make a multiplayer scenario like that, each player picks a Runner deck and some influenced point amount of Corp backing, and then run a server farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't take credit for the following, but a friend mentioned that they used to play a variant where they would play as corp and runner simultaneously with their runners(spys) running opponents corp and vice versa. Didn't get all the details, but essentially they managed two play areas at the same time and alternated taking turns between their corp and runner decks. The twist was that both corp and runner could take an action(click) to transfer bits from corp to runner or vice versa. Winner was based on who scored most total agenda points after the two simultaneous games were over using usual rules (i.e. first to 7 agenda points). Not sure how they resolved ties....

The one additional twist I neglected to ask about was whether or not you could choose to take consecutive turns with your corp or runner decks when it was your turn. Thought this might add another interesting element.

In any case, with some additional "fleshing out" sounds like it might be a cool way to accomplish what is being proposed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cva3 wrote:
The one additional twist I neglected to ask about was whether or not you could choose to take consecutive turns with your corp or runner decks when it was your turn. Thought this might add another interesting element.

This would summarily break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
You know you could have an interesting team-play format. Each team would consist of one runner and one corp. Both corps and both runners could play simultaneously. Teams would share credits and agenda points (the total to win should be doubled). You could make it deeper than that. But that would be an interesting start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.