28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dominion: where to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N P
msg tools
So I recently got into Dominion via the unofficial IOS app (which was just pulled from the store in anticipation of Goko's app which is MIA). I would like to buy the physical game for my friends and I but I'm a little hung-up on where to start.

See, I'm fairly used to the base set's Kingdom cards now and I'd like to spice them up with some new stuff for my own interest. On the other hand, my friends haven't played before and I think those seem like good cards to learn with. I'm not sure if I should buy the original Dominion with an expansion or just get Intrigue by itself. If I do go the former route I'm not sure which expansion to get. I want to make things interesting but not too complicated just yet.

So I'm all-ears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I learned Dominion off a friend's set, got Intrigue as our "starter," and loved it. However, I would not advise using it with people playing for the first time. They take forever reading all the text, forget what they just read, read it again, etc. all while still absorbing the basics of the game. So if you've got one or two buddies who can learn the basics online, I think Intrigue is the better buy, but if you're taking full responsibility for introducing new players from scratch, then get the original.

My favorite expansion is Prosperity, but you can't really go wrong with any of them, except Alchemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I own all set. If you want something new you could get Intrigue. It's a base game as well and i would add Properity to it. Dark ages that just came out is a bit more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
msg tools
Thanks! I keep reading that Prosperity is good but people don't appreciate Alchemy as much. That's the main reason I decided to disregard the big box.

Here's a question: Do people with the original game and Intrigue who also own one or more expansions find themselves still using kingdom cards from the original game often or at all?

I guess what I'm asking is if the original Dominion cards become a lot less interesting when you've got the Intrigue or other expansion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to just increase the possible number of card interactions by mixing them all together.

What I would suggest is to not get ahead of yourself in buying expansions. Buy the base game, and if you play that enough that you get tired of seeing the same cards, buy an expansion. I would not recommend purchasing more than one expansion until you are tired of the Dominion collection you have.

I far outpurchased my Dominion needs and now have three expansions and the base set when realistically for how much I use the game I could have gotten away with buying one expansion. I have have played the game all of once with one of my expansions, a handful of times (under 5) with another, and not at all with Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Prosperity, Seaside, Intrigue and the base game and pretty much always play with a range of cards from all the expansions.
Part of the fun is finding cool combos with the almost infinite combinations of kingdom cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I would be too anal to skip the base set (I started with that, and then bought all of the rest) as it is... well... the BASE set. Cards in other sets build off ideas the originals introduce. As I said, it would seem weird to me to skip it, but others who did things differently might not see an issue with it.

Don't forget, too, that you can always buy the new BASE CARDS set, and then grab Prosperity or Hinterlands if you want to go that route.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rgg471.html

For the record, when I play I always use a "card picker" app that pulls cards from all the sets mixed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree that the original set is better suited to introduce new players. Prosperity is my favorite expansion too, but I also like Alchemy (love the Golem). If you can get a good price on the big box I would go for it

And yes, the original cards are still very interesting even if you got all the expansions. The expansions mainly add variety, but it is not like the new cards make the originals obsolete or anything (Chapel is still my favorite!)

Also, with the new Base Cards Set you could start off without either the original set or Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend starting with the original game for new players, and prosperity when you're ready to expand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with the base game and intrigue. The base game kept me interested for a decent enough time and I'd probably always start with the base alone for new players. You'll still get a lot of mileage out of that.

But whenever I added Intrigue, I pretty much never use the base alone now and am ready for another expansion. When I do, I will still use the base game and just use a mixture of all cards, like I currently do with base + intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chrest
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The best combo in my book is the Original + Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrest77 wrote:

+1 thumbsup

I also like Intrigue but some cards can be a little trickier for new players.

ANd yes, I still use lots of the Original cards. The expansions are like seasoning - the right amount enhances the game but too much can throw things out of proportion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sets in order of how much I like them

Seaside
Prosperity
Cornucopia
Dominion
Intrigue
Hinterlands (haven't played it a lot yet)
Alchemy (its not bad it just doesn't play well with others. Its alot of alchemy or none.)
Dark Ages (In shrink will play on thursday.)

I honestly did not like Dominion that much when I bought it but I was given Intrigue as a gift and started liking the game much more. I am a Magic player and maybe it was the number of cards that I got bored with. Now Dominion is one of the most played games at my house and we eagerly await each expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone who says the best way to learn is the base set. Even with the base set, be prepared for some slow games while everyone reads the cards a lot - like you did at first. And then be ready to add in another set soon. With just the base set, games will start to feel always the same pretty quickly.

I also agree that the best combo of just two sets is Base + Prosperity.

I do like Intrigue, but I prefer it when there are at least three sets in the mix. Intrigue by itself or with just one other set can feel really "mean". (I have friends who insist that we just take Saboteur out completely.) When Seaside (possibly my favorite set) came out, it diluted the Intrigue cards enough (and added so many cards that I like) that it was a breath of fresh air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not recommend playing Dominion with only one set, even if its the base set. I will always recommend the best way to learn, have fun, and explore the potential of the game is to play the base set with a large exapansion -- any large-box expansion will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I would not recommend playing Dominion with only one set, even if its the base set. I will always recommend the best way to learn, have fun, and explore the potential of the game is to play the base set with a large exapansion -- any large-box expansion will do.

One thing to keep in mind is that as the expansions progress, the card and their possible combinations become much more complex. If you're starting off with friends, keep your collection to Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity. Basic Dominion is still a fantastic game just for teaching new players with, and if you try to jump in by teaching them a game of Hinterlands or Dark Ages, they'll be left scratching their heads in confusion. So I would recommend starting off with Dominion and Intrigue. You get a great variety of cards without being overly complex. When you're ready to move on to something more, Prosperity would be a great place to move on to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrest77 wrote:

And then add Intrigue. Seaside and Dark Ages can fight it out from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
HotDunk wrote:
Here's a question: Do people with the original game and Intrigue who also own one or more expansions find themselves still using kingdom cards from the original game often or at all?

I guess what I'm asking is if the original Dominion cards become a lot less interesting when you've got the Intrigue or other expansion cards.

My wife and I picked up the base set when it first came out and enjoyed it so much we have added every expansion so far. We use some of the suggested sets of cards found in each rule book for our games, but also find it fun sometimes to use an online randomizer to decide on cards for a game. By the way, although I don't track which sets we use, I would bet you we still have a few cards we haven't played with yet! I admit we are so vested in this game now, that we WILL own every future expansion, whether we need it or not!

If you're interested, the online randomizer we use is hiwiller.com/dominion/.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since you have played dominion and are aware of it...go for the dominion big box that will give you dominion, properity and alchemy. I know some people do not like alchemy i like it a lot but it will give you tons of combinations to play with and it is a good value..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a Dominion Fanatic by any means. I enjoy the game for what it is worth, I just feel that sometime I personally my desire to play it decreases as time goes on if it's the only thing I play while other equally great games are sitting on my shelf.

So with that disclaimer, I would say that you will find that some of the cards in the expansions work very well in combination with those from an earlier expansion. (Especially from the base + Intrigue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have the whole damn thing, and my thoughts concur with most.

I'd say the basic set is the most flexible.

Prosperity is essential (if for nothing else than platinum's and colonies).

Dark Ages is HUGE. Its pretty new, but it also seems to add more than the other expansions.

Seaside is also excellent, and the duration cards add a nice twist to the gameplay.

Based on my experience, I would say get:

Base + Prosperity + Dark Ages or Seaside

Hinterlands is also excellent, but doesn't "change the game" the way the others do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to hijack the thread, but if somebody (me) were thinking of picking up ONLY Intrigue and one expansions (not the base set), what would that one expansion be? Seaside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has all the sets you mention, I would advise against Intrigue as your base set. I think Dominion should be the base, and then add to that. If you really don't want the base game in your collection, I would start with Prosperity as base, and then add Seaside or Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
original + prosperity is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original was good enough to hook enough people that there was an expansion. I think that's saying a lot for it, and it's a great game just by itself. Yes, you'll want more cards, but do you really KNOW the game with those cards now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.