Subject: Voting in the multiplayer game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J West
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The rules for voting in a more-than-2-player game are that for each issue in order you must either 1) cast all your votes, or 2) abstain.
This is pretty craptacular.
The 2-player game though states that you allocate your votes per item concealed and then everyone reveals how many votes they allocated to each item at the same time.
This is a fantastic way to do the voting. With proper planning, someone with very few votes can still walk away with _something_, and having a huge number of votes is by no means a guarantee of winning everything or (even worse!) only one thing and nothing more.
I've done a 6-player game of this, and everyone has always enjoyed the more complicated voting scheme. So if you haven't already, pitch out that crappy simplified voting system and implement the more complicated one. Adds a lot to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that what you call a "simplified" version is a crap. I believe the purpose is to force more interaction between the players. Suppose one player has 15 votes and the remaining have less than that. In theory, the one with 15 will always win - so the other players must make agreements to avoid losing every time. So alliances can be formed: you vote in this for me and I vote in this for you, so we can beat the one with 15 votes - or the one with most votes can ally with someone with lesser votes, promising his support, and so on. You could cheat someone, promising your vote and then changing your mind. And, of course, there're the batles. In the beggining of the game this won't happen, but at some point the player A will vote for B so he can destroy the player C, that is attacking A...

Some rules from those games from the 80's usually seem stupid on paper. If you play as it's written, or thinking like you think playing an eurogame or ameritrash, it won't work. The interaction is not written but is fundamental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
The voting, as written works pretty well IMHO.

In theory the one with the most votes wins, but only on one motion. The others can join together if they really want to win that one motion.

The method rewards the most powerful player but not overly so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.