Subject: Sas-Van-Son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The text on mutant Sas-van-Son says "I may only play this card if you have at least two more cards in hand than I."

1) At which point are special power texts checked: while in hand, or once they are played? I believe they aren't checked until played; correct? Otherwise Laughing Gas and Tittertweet wouldn't allow you to play any mutant.

2) I start with six cards in hand; my opponent has six. I play "Enthrall Opposition" (or most any other leadership card). I then play "Sas-van-Son." The text isn't checked until he hits the table. I now have four cards in hand and my opponent has six. The play is legal, and the game continues. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
divisionbyzorro wrote:
The text on mutant Sas-van-Son says "I may only play this card if you have at least two more cards in hand than I."

1) At which point are special power texts checked: while in hand, or once they are played? I believe they aren't checked until played; correct? Otherwise Laughing Gas and Tittertweet wouldn't allow you to play any mutant.

The FAQ (last question in the "Special Power Texts: Ignored (Cards)" section) states that when mutants (or their special texts) are ignored, they may be played even if they don't meet the restriction. So, if you have Tittertweet in play, I may play any mutant, so long as it and my boosters/supports match your power.

Quote:

2) I start with six cards in hand; my opponent has six. I play "Enthrall Opposition" (or most any other leadership card). I then play "Sas-van-Son." The text isn't checked until he hits the table. I now have four cards in hand and my opponent has six. The play is legal, and the game continues. Is this correct?

The rules state that special text is read "When a card... is played", which is still a bit ambiguous as to whether it's before or after the card leaves the hand. My reading would have been that you cannot play it in the situation you describe, but I don't think it's entirely clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
divisionbyzorro wrote:

The FAQ (last question in the "Special Power Texts: Ignored (Cards)" section) states that when mutants (or their special texts) are ignored, they may be played even if they don't meet the restriction. So, if you have Tittertweet in play, I may play any mutant, so long as it and my boosters/supports match your power.

Since all Mutants have sheilded values, you may play them even if you can't match the power.

As for Sas-Van-Son, I agree that you should not be able to play him unless your opponent has two more cards in his hand before the Mutant is played.

Chris will probably be along any minute, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
Chris will probably be along any minute, however.

Slightly longer than a minute, I like to ponder these things just in case they aren't as obvious as they first appear.

First line of reasoning. "I may only play this card if ..." sounds like it is checked before you play it, while it's still in your hand.

Second line of reasoning. Let's think about the other mutants. Most of them don't help. But one does, mutant Fel-nar-Gan (Flit - I like these mutant names, but I never remember which is which). "I may only play this card if I have no cards in my combat and support areas.". That's rather difficult to play if you check the condition after it's been played.

Since Blue Moon doesn't have a concept of a card being "in limbo" between hand and play (as Magic does) that pretty much covers it. So if I remember the original question correctly, just playing a leadership card from hand isn't enough if both players started with 6 cards each. Which brings us to ...

Third line of reasoning. (This one isn't a legitimate line of reasoning for actual rules, but it's instructive.) Sas-van-Son is a 7/7 mutant, the second strongest out there, it needs to be difficult to play and getting it out just by playing a leadership card wouldn't really be difficult enough.

OK, so I think I can avoid having to discuss this one with Reiner tomorrow (when we are playtesting DELETED).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DELETED sounds like a great title for a game. What's it about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.