Subject: NEW HIP HOP BOARD GAME rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dsflkjsdl;kj kjhsfdkjh
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am developing a new board game and would like to get some feedback from real board game lovers. This survey will only take a minute and I've heard it's actually fun. Thank You

http://websurveyor.net/wsb.dll/34764/freestylegame.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I enjoy party games as much as the next guy.

But a game in which the players must "freestyle rap". Sounds like a lot fun, but for most folks, the game might as well be a game where players must "play classical piano pieces from sheet music." It's just not something I think the average person is likely to be able to do at a skill level high enough that it will be "fun" rather than "embaressing".

Maybe you have a game design that gets around this problem in mind?

It seems you could give the players scripts to work from where the poetry is mostly written but there are blanks for the rhyming couplets (or whatever poetic structure). Sort of like Mad Libs. At least this way you can get it so the lines scan right. Then the fun is picking the best punchline words, but the hard work of constructing wrap sentences that acutally scan is mostly done. (You could have the advanced, "no script" version as an option for advanced players).

You could even go all out and include a CD with different beat loop tracks, and each script would be keyed to a particular beat loop track (there could be multiple scripts keyed to same track).

Anyway, good luck with your project. I think you could sell a few of these games just based on the novelty and subject matter, but if you design something that actually works as a party game that you would want to play again and again, you could have huge word of mouth and big sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without simplifying the gameplay(with the script suggestion above), the game would have a small market. Also, I personally don't see the hiphop community as game players, but thats my own opinion, I could be completely wrong. Maybe Eminem, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and the Black Eyed Peas sit down for a game after a gig and drink root beers ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my friends rip on each other to everday songs we hear on the radio all the time. Having a more broad range of music may seem more appealing to a larger audience, but I can't see myself or the average gamer sitting down to play this as a boardgame. If someone is not on the same level at ryhming or rapping as the other player, they simply won't have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems your survey was put together in haste.

Question 12: If you were to ask for a board game as a gift, who would you ask? (Check all that apply.)

Of the possible answers spouse was not an option. How could you have missed this one?

Honestly I don’t know if you are going to be able to get a bunch of non-rappers to sit around and try to come up with rhymes on the spot. Most people have only a little bit of musical talent if any, look at American Idol for example. I don’t want to be subjected to bad singing and I am not keen at showing off my lack of talent in this area either. I suppose the idea is that it will be fun to watch everyone singing poorly and making a little bit of a fool of themselves. I know that Karaoke had its day and you might be trying to revive it using more modern music yet i think you looking at a hard sell.

This is just my opinion and I am certainly not your target market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Improvisation to a timer would be pretty difficult without some sort of cues (if not the script suggetsion above, then perhaps the opposite: some rhyming words that must be included in the rap). But the idea does sound interesting.

This sounds a bit similar to rhythm-based video games (Donkey Konga, PaRappa, DDR etc), and like those games I think this would need a wide variety of really good music to succeed.

As a DJ and hip hop enthusiast I think that for best results you'd want some regonisable music in there. There are some classic hip hop breaks that everyone knows when they hear: Zapp & Roger - 'More Bounce to the Ounce', Kurtis Blow - 'The Breaks', Cybotron - 'Clear', Sugarhill Gang - 'Rapper's Delight', plus some generic breaks like the amen, apache etc. A hip hop DJ in your area could probably help you with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.