Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
...seen this yet?
http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=51

cool (<-- pretend this is a desperate, slobbering, gimmegimme emoticon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeppers! got the King newsletter... one of my other passions! Stephen King novels. got em all in hardback. most first edition. Now if King would write a novel about pirates with a horror theme and someone made a heavily themed adventure/co-op boardgame out of it, I could die a happy and content man

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to imagine the DT series in boardgame format. Actually, it could be a series of games.

DT 1 could be an lightly themed abstract, in which the Walter side tries to corrupt the Roland side by removing movement options, until the only path to victory is a move that sacrifices Jake.

DT2 is strongly based on trust (co-op) and resource management, with a traitor element. Detta/Odetta could be decided every round by secret die roll.

DT3--well, I'm lost here. But this is where the ka-tet begins to really get skilled and become one, so something revolving around the acquisition of skills (shooting, warfare, the touch, etc.). Oh, and there'd have to be some riddling.

DT4--I see a light, small-scale block wargame with a few boards played in succession. Action cards drawn before each board could help either side (Cuthbert or Sheemie cards for the Touch, Rhea cards for the pink orb, etc). The boards could include the Drop, Eyebolt Canyon, the hills of the Coos, and Mejis.

DT5--CCG a la Blue Moon. There's vampires (3 classes!), evil robots (2 classes), townspeople brave and cowardly, gangsters, a mysterious cult, and powerful icons. Not to mention a new weapon---RIZA!

DT6--This felt much like a race against time to me, with many risky trips through todash. I picture a board split into three regions (example: Keystone New York) where action occurs to gain transportation or information. Each region has a stack of face down tiles. The only way of traveling between regions requires drawing a region specific tile, and the game could be structured so that the person who is best at obtaining info or transport does the least traveling between regions (avoiding the one random todash darkness tile?)

DT7--I'm out of ideas, but the most compelling topics would be the attack on Blue Heaven, or perhaps the thing under the castle?

Well, I'm sure most of these ideas are crap, but it was fun to think of them and get them written down. I'm sure that a better way of handling the series would be to select themes that cut across several of the books to give a meatier game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now if King would write a novel about pirates with a horror theme and someone made a heavily themed adventure/co-op boardgame out of it, I could die a happy and content man

Steven King hasn't, but for a pirate themed horror novel, you might want to check out "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers. Quite good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Steven King hasn't, but for a pirate themed horror novel, you might want to check out "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers. Quite good!

OOOO! I'm on it! Thanks Tim!

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that recommendation for "On Stranger Tides". Great stuff, and Powers' other work is well worth checking out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.