Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The option card "Circuit breaker", what is the use of it? It just prevents you from choosing the right opportunity to power down. WHY?

It says that if you receiv 3 Damage Token, you automatically power down. That card will then give LESS option, than a player without it.

Can anybody tell me how I am interpreting wrong? (AH Edition)

/Strömer, from Sweden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, to shut down, you need to announce it a turn before you do it. So, for example, without circuit breaker, if you're at 0 damage, you probably won't announce your intention to shut down. Then during that turn, you take 7 damage somehow. Now you'll have to suffer through a very bad upcoming turn (most likely) before you can shut down.

With circuit breaker, if you take a lot of surprise damage, you won't "miss" that extra turn -- you'll shut down immediately (without wasting a turn trying to stay alive with a bunch of locked registers and only two program cards, for example).

And the converse is true, as well. If you're on the laser maze board and expect to take a lot of damage, you might announce an intention to shut down and then get knocked off of your plan and spend theturn bumping into walls instead of getting shot. Then you'd waste a turn shut down. With circuit breaker, you can let the actual events determine when you shut down and when you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bergbau wrote:
It says that if you receiv 3 Damage Token, you automatically power down. That card will then give LESS option, than a player without it.

Note that you always have the option---if you don't want to shut down, then when you take your 3rd point of damage, you can always just choose to lose the option instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Carter
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
THe circuit breaker is one of the least valuable options, IMHO. Because it forces you to shut down, even if you are in a bad position (say, on a conveyer heading off the board). It would be much more valuable if it allowed you to shut down, but did not force it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puggimer wrote:
THe circuit breaker is one of the least valuable options, IMHO. Because it forces you to shut down, even if you are in a bad position (say, on a conveyer heading off the board). It would be much more valuable if it allowed you to shut down, but did not force it.

It does NOT force you to shut down! When you would receive the third point of damage, you can simply lose the option card instead, to avoid taking that third point. This is the whole idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Carter
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well I would much rather have nearly any other option than this one. Yes, you can sacrifice any option to avoid a point of damage - but that is nearly all this one is good for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll need to disagree.

It allows you to delay the decision to shut down until later in the turn, possibly buying you 1-4 phases of information about board position. Normally you have to declare your intent 5 phases before it happens. With the Circuit Breaker, I have the ability to decide at the moment I take the point of damage that would blow the breaker if I keep going with what I have (and thus burn the breaker as a damage point) or take a shutdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.