Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Stark
Australia
Kingston Beach
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, this is my first post to BBG. I have just designed rules for adapting BOW to a three player (teams) game of AGOT. I have received permission from FFG and have uploaded the file to BGG, awaiting their clearance. I just wanted to set out my design philosophies.
Firstly, I wanted to make it as simple and as streamlined as possible with the minimum of alteration to the original AGOT/BOW rules. The campaign will utilise AGOT as written, but with the substitution of steps 6.1-2 with new steps incorporating BOW. The AGOT 6.1-2 remain unchanged when dealing with battles involving neutrals, lone routed units and sea battles. Castles and stronghold areas attacked by forces containing Siege Engines are considered to be sieges and are also resolved with the standard AGOT rules. (BTW this is a very flawed part of AGOT. It gives the advantage to the attacker when defending fortifications, but I left it as is. If anyone can rationalise this aspect of AGOT I would be more than happy to hear it!)
The most rule writing involved dealing with captured commanders within a campaign setting. This adds a whole new dimension to AGOT negotiations and adds a new avenue for the introduction of more Power Tokens into the game, which I think isn’t a bad thing.
This all requires play testing and I would be most appreciative if the BOW community could put these rules to the test and post any suggestions for improvement, either a PP or to the forum. My biggest concerns are my rules for determining Command, Order and Leadership ratings for each side of each battle. I am not sure they are balanced enough, although my design philosophy is not to create balanced battles, but to create battles that would reflect the ongoing strategic situation on the AGOT board and this will create very one-sided battles. That said the weaker side is free to withdraw or fight it out to inflict as much damage on the opposition as possible.
Hope you have fun with this, and let me know how things go (when it is finally cleared, which could be a little time).
All the best,
FSTARK

Link to rules PDF is up:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81853/a-game-of-throne...

Addendum: Under the Catelyn Stark Special Rules add from the beginning: "In addition to a value 2 commander not represented in the House cards...". In the next sentence delete "Stark". (ie any unit can move Catelyn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool. Can't wait to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parzival Graal-Ritter
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I applaud your creativity and initative. I'm working on something similar using miniatures at differing scales for raids vs. battles.

Look forward to following this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Stark
Australia
Kingston Beach
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Parzival! On initial play I find the first 5 turns of a 3 player campaign of AGOT are about posturing and resource acquisition with little fighting (usually a naval battle or two and raids). The big battle side of the game only starts hotting up in the last five turns and I think you can expect around six major battles in that time to decide the fate of Westeros (estimate here). My design philosophy concentrates on these major battles, which should bring about a modest length campaign game of around 20 hours over a few weekends between three teams of 1 or 2 players each. Including the little raids and minor skirmishes would considerably lengthen this experience and may dilute it a bit, but that may be what some people want. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the raids in this context.
All the best
F

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Stark
Australia
Kingston Beach
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, I have uploaded a new and corrected version of my AGOT/BOW rules along with a campaign record sheet, should be cleared in a few days or so. It has been significantly cleaned up and clarrified. Of particular note are my new rules for featuring rivers in the battles. Many of the battles in Westeros occur on or about rivers, but the skirmish cards do not provide this option. Hopefully these work well. I have also added an optional rule concerning capture by ranged attack. This seems unfair within the context of a campaign, so I have given the option of having them gravely wounded and out of action for an AGOT turn.
Enjoy,
F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parzival Graal-Ritter
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Frank,

Just curious, if you have any play-testing observations from your group - What excites? What needs more work?

Again, I really like what you've done to link these two great game systems to integrate both the tactical and the strategic/political.

Respectfully,

Wade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Stark
Australia
Kingston Beach
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wade,
very sorry for the very late reply. Been on vacation.
I've found that the first 3-4 turns are posturing with all sides unwilling to commit to battle until sizable forces are mustered and a decisive engagement assured. Stark is in a strong position at the start and the other two tend to ally to bring it down a peg initially. Battles are often fought in an attempt to capture leaders and management of your leader resources is important. Having the right leader and troop combination is crucial, especially for Baratheon.
Still have yet to complete a campaign as time has been difficult to find of late, so I can't comment on the end outcome, but I look forward to any session reports. I am hoping to get one up eventually.
All the best,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.