1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: International Aid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I had an idea, and I thought I'd just float it to see if there was any merit to it. It's half-baked, and I'm not sure quite how it would work, but here it is: many games are produced and shipped from the US - and for those outside the US lots of them are hard to come by, or have (nearly) prohibitively high shipping costs. For some things it's worth the cost (with shipping I"ve just paid $63 for Omen: A Reign of War for instance, and my wife thinks I'm mad paying that much for a card game!) - but the price-elasticity of demand does mean some will miss out on great games they would have bought locally.
So this is the idea - is there some way people who love a game could subsidise the shipping cost for those who would buy it if it weren't for the shipping? Not necessarily to negate it, but to bring it in line with domestic shipping. For instance, if 13 people loved Omen enough to donate $1 each so someone else could enjoy it, the next person to buy it internationally would only have to pay the standard $5 postage (I know this sounds like me begging after the event, and it really isn't, it's just me trying to find a way everyone could benefit). (I'm thinking much along the lines of when you find a great game for $5 in a thrift store, and you already own it, but you buy it anyway so you can give it to someone who would appreciate it (I'm guessing I'm not the only person who does that)). So here's my suggestion - a thread upon which, if there's a game someone really wants/needs(!), they can post paypal details for others to donate small amounts to help out. Use this one, or use another, or just tell me it's a rubbish idea!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.