Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Stenseng
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game.

This was the fourth play of this game for my group, and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the game now. Overall strategy has to change from game to game, of course, but I go into this one now gunning for crowns and paying out bribes.

I'm not going to go through the game play by play. I'll through out a couple of highlights as each turn is a brainbuster and frankly I can't remember.

Jamin, who's pretty savy at this one is a hoarder, and this game way no different. Jamin usually only completes three or at most four missions before the end of the game. The rest of the chips he hoards to optimize his buy in the fourth round. This seems counterintuitive to me as he then misses out on the bonuses for missions he could have completed earlier. It may however, net him 1 extra mission completed in the end as he is more efficently able to use his crown tokens.

I'm all about the crowns and losing out on the bribe cards to get my influence tokens back. People get caught up in winning these tokens outright to get the mission chip for free, but I maintain it's better to loose a few and pay (if you can afford it) to get them, thus getting your influence back.

I live on the 5 tile each and every turn if possible, especially when it is a 3 token requirement. Get this crown, then pay a couple of bribes and win one tile if you can means completing two missions a turn. I haven't been able to maintain that through the game, of course, but I have always completed at least 6 or 7 missions, the bare minimum to be in contention.

I rarely fight for the Louis tile, it tends to be a money pit of influence and only if I'm really set up with cards or special actions will I make a run at him. I never won him in this game, though I did try once.

Rick nabbed the most shields in the game, but it cost him on missions. I had been opportunistic as well, claiming the 10 tile 2 out of the times it came up with the 2 influence requirement. Unlike many I don't mind the shield mechanic. There is a bit of luck to it, but also strategic desicions are made throughout the game on whether or not to get some.

Final scores were

Rob 45
Jamin 41
Rick 38
Derrick 36

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Juhl
Denmark
Ørbæk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
From reading your session report it seems you misunderstood a rule.
(maybe its just me :-)

Quote:
"The rest of the chips he hoards to optimize his buy in the fourth round. This seems counterintuitive to me as he then misses out on the bonuses for missions he could have completed earlier. It may however, net him 1 extra mission completed in the end as he is more efficently able to use his crown tokens."

You are not allowed to hoard mission chips!
Each player may, at most, keep ONE mission chip for the next round.
If a player ends his turn in the mission-phase with more than one chip left he MUST return them to their supplies. He chooses which to return.
For each chip returned he takes one shield as a consolation prize.

Best regards

Martin Juhl
- Gaming group "Snaden"
Denmark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stenseng
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rules clarification. We definately missed that one. It'll change Jamin's strategy at least, plus kind of an interesting trade off. Another way to get sheilds, but not worthwile if you can avoid it.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.