Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have just posted a new character sheet for Mordred. Also a list of rules for playing with him. He plays opposite to the knights and allows an eighth player to join in.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Munzing
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome!

I definitely plan to introduce this to our group. It looks quite good and I think will be balanced enough despite a traitor's presence.

I'll have to wait and playtest it first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Søvik-Ringstrøm
Norway
Sofiemyr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.

Could you please explain how excalibur works with Mordred. There are no white excalibur cards...

Does this mean
a)Mordred never moves the sword?
b)You can choose to either move excalibur OR play the white card you drew on it's matching quest.
c)You move Excalibur when you draw a fight card that can not be used anywhere?

Haven't played yet, but it seems like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked it.

Let me know how the playtest goes. I have tried it with only 4 players and it's way too hard. But with 7 or 8 it worked fine, even with a traitor as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordred moves excalibur with the black excalibur cards when he is on that quest.

But you are right he never moves it in the other direction. I quite like your idea of choosing to move it or play the white card. I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Munzing
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have some questions regarding quest resolution.

If Mordred is on a quest when the Knights are victorious does he lose a life point in addition to being sent "elsewhere"?

For clarification....If the knights fail and he is there they all get the listed penalty and he gets the cards (black) and life points under victory conditions. ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on both counts.

Thanks for asking these questions. I'll use them all to make amendments to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skeletor
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Hey I like the idea of an eigth player but I can't find the character sheet. In the .DOC it says "Mordred’s Character sheet (available at www.eurogamesfest.com)" but I can't find it there. Do we need any info off that or is all the info for his charater on that .DOC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The character sheet is available here at boardgamegeek. The file you are looking for is Mordred.pdf

I must apologise about it not being at eurogamesfest.com yet

Let me know how you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skeletor
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Thanks! I found it after the post. Looking forward to trying it.......as soon as I can get 7 other people to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To "the_pirate"

Hey, love the Mordred character idea. I downloaded the pdf and the rules and I've played it several times with friends of mine.

We have, however, found some hiccups in the process of playtesting it. In fact, it has become a continuing subject of discussion specifically with one of my gamer buddies and I as we both believe this character to be ripe with potential for fun but found the application of some of the rules a bit restrictive and, on the other extreme, too powerful. We are in the process of playtesting various rules changes we've come up with and we plan on posting our conclusions on BGG as an alternative version for Mordred once we've worked out all of the bugs.

We hope you don't mind us doing this as we really like the idea of what you created with the character of Mordred. We're just really liking the changes we've made so far and we would like to share them with others. Here is a sample of some of the things we're doing with our version of Mordred:

-Cosmetically, we are changing the color for the dot (in the upper left hand corner) and life background on the Mordred character card from purple to silver (since Sir Tristen is already the purple knight).

-Rather than Mordred leaving the board, he simply moves to the middle amidst the siege engines. We call this the "siege camp" and, thematically, it really looks cool having Mordred there amidst the seiges appearing to command them. From a game play standpoint, if there are no siege engines on the board, and if there are at least three swords of any color on the board, then knights in Camelot can fight Mordred when he is in his "siege camp". Thus he may not have any respite if the seige engines are all removed.

-When fighting Mordred, the knights can play as many cards as they want but Mordred can still win if he rolls a 7 or an 8. Sir Kay can't use his special power when fighting Mordred. If the knight fighting Mordred has Excalibur, then Mordred can still roll an 8 and win even if the knight fighting him has more than that as his fight total. If Mordred has Excalibur, then he is assured of a win if he rolls a 6 or higher.

-We removed the "4 life point" requirement regarding Mordred's special power. However, we're working on the idea that he can't use his special power on the same knight twice in a row.

-We also removed the "7 card" hand limit and, in it's place, require that Mordred may not have more than 12 cards in his hand at the end of his turn. He may exceed that total during his turn but he must discard to bring his hand total back down to 12 at the end.

-Mordred may not place siege engines directly or indirectly through black cards for completed quests. Instead, we are working out a "modifier" system for fighting sieges that resembles your idea of white cards accumulating in Camelot for fighting sieges. This will keep white grail cards relevant as hurting Mordred when he draws them. We'll post more on this when we're done play testing. Mordred may, however, play the Morgan card that places siege engines.

-Just as loyal knights can use Merlins to counter special black cards, we are working on the idea that Mordred can use a number of special black cards to counter one special white card. (Again, we're still working out the kinks so we'll have more details once we're through playtesting our ideas. We're also working out a specific meaning for the one Mordred card in the deck and making it more powerful for him to play if it ends up in his hand.)

-There are also a number of specific choices and meanings for the special white cards drawn by Mordred. We'll post our findings once we're through playtesting them all but, as a sample, "Fate" specifically has a different meaning. If Mordred draws Fate then he may, instead of allowing all of the knights to draw a white card, choose to accuse someone of being the traitor. This way, if Mordred knows there is a traitor and the other knights are not choosing to accuse that person then it gives Mordred a way of getting the Traitor out in the open where he can be more effective. If the traitor is correctly accused, a black sword is added to the table and the traitor can then play openly. The reverse of this is that, if Mordred accuses someone and they are loyal, then a black sword flips to white (this would be a new circumstance for the game in that none of the rules for the standard game allow for black swords switching to white). Thus, the Fate card represents a potentially powerful turn of events but it also would be rare for Mordred to draw the Fate card as his progression of good. Further, when the traitor is revealed, rather then removing that knight's piece from the board, it is placed in the middle of the board amidst the sieges (purely for thematic appeal).

Anyway, this is a small sample of where we're headed. I'll post it all once we're done. The idea of Mordred is really great and we hope you don't mind us making and presenting some changes to your original concept.

Hopefully everyone will like what we've done with it once it's finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the thread I created with the revised rules Tyler and I came up with for playing the role of "Mordred":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/848581

We have playtested most of these rules. (Hopefully we've worked out all of the bugs and made the role fun to play for everyone.)

-Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.