Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Oh no not another QuickShade alternative thread! snore

Yes I know there are loads and I think I've read most of them, but I've never seen these questions answered.

Okay, this isn't a question of whether QuickShade or commercial stain is better - if it weren't for the price I'd would play it safe and get QuickShade.

But price difference is huge so let's assume that I'm looking at commercial stained varnish.

I've seen MinWax mentioned repeatedly but that brand isn't available in the UK but I'm sure others like Ronseal are similar.

So here are my two questions

Q1 - Gloss or Satin. Commercial varnish stains are available in both. Is one better than the other? What would you say QuickShade is? If I'm going to dullcoat I doubt it matters but I wonder whether one flows better than the other?

Q2 - Spirit based or Water Based. In UK (because of EU regulations I think) it is becoming increasingly difficult to get traditional spirit based paints and varnishes and I think there is a move to ban them altogether. So does either give better results. QuickShade is spirit based. My thoughts are whether the slow drying time of spirit-based varnish stain is what makes it go good. Water based can dry in 30 minutes or less so does this mean they are less likely to flow.

Appreciate your views and experience.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.