Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joejoyce wrote:

I'm attempting to work on an obvious Gettysburg scenario - I was thinking of calling the last scenario (32x32, 84/side) Macysburg. The problem, of course, is that so far everything has been perfectly balanced, and to do an accurate Bulge or Gettysburg would necessarily make the pieces per side unequal. The obvious balance for this is to allow the smaller side more activations per turn, but this has several flaws, the major one being the larger side becomes too susceptible to an attack on its leaders. So I have to "balance the unbalance" in other ways.

There's also another slight flaw with doing a semi-historical Bulge or Gettysburg, and that's the sheer size. My crude initial guesstimate of the board size is 70x90 squares. I can manage about half those dimensions, say 36x56, realistically, unless I use tweezers and a magnifying glass at my age. So I need to simulate the essence of each battle in some way. But I also can't go too small, or the game becomes too limited. To be honest, the 32x32, with around a hundred pieces on board between the 2 sides, gets crowded, although a few rounds of intense combat cures that.
The scenarios don't have to be this accurate. It's more important to pre-built them, just like in other wargames, so that the players can immediately dive into the action.
If the essence of a battle can be simulated or if the battles/scenarios are specifically accurate is a nice bonus. But like you said, its hard to achieve this (balancing, size, etc.).
A game that I became aware of recently can give a good example. It's Jungdeutschlands Schlachtenspiel (a Halma based wargame from 1912). The game had a supplement with battle examples:

[click picture to change size]
Depicted here is the battle of Torgau 1760.

A good thing about the The Warlord Games is, that it's very flexible, adaptable and usable for different eras (Napoleonic, WW2, etc.). Even fantasy is doable, Orcs versus Humans e.g. :-)

joejoyce wrote:

Right now I see it as an ambush-featuring game, which means I have to encourage Red to move into visible ambushes. Allowing Red the infantry "quick-step" movement (an infantry piece moves like a leader, Macysburg allows it to within 6 squares of an enemy piece) unless the piece is in actual contact with Blue, will give a benefit to risking ambush. Now a reason to risk it would be a time limit and a requirement to get pieces off the far edge of the board. Might also consider limited "hidden unit" rules, where Blue has 10 or so upside down pieces, half to 2/3rds of which are dummy counters, as a last resort, because this takes away the purely combinatorial abstract strategy nature of the boardgame, by introducing hidden info. But for a good game, I'm flexible.
"Hidden units" rules with dummy counters sounds very interesting, it adds a Fog of War element. Great idea!
One thing I have noticed while playing the Border War scenario is, that I tend to "overanalyze" the positions. Therefore I'm planning to use a timer of some sort.
On the other side I love to play the Border War scenario over several days, too, by playing some turns, let the game rest and play some more turns the next day. It also helps when playing solitaire.

joejoyce wrote:

Finally, I will need playtesters for these scenarios, and could also use new scenarios developed by others. I can come up with what seem to be very good scenarios, but my playtests of them always run very differently than when I have a real opponent. How might I encourage people to take a free game, put it together and play it, then say what you thought of it on the 'Geek?
Good question. One thing could be to make the access to the game as easy as possible. This ties in with the other comments here: Good clear rules, a rather small "starter scenario", etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
So how is the 8x8 or 9x9 version of the game coming along Joe? Muhahahaha!

I said you need a version that would be playable in less than 1.5 hours, so people can get familiar with it.

How about a 12x12 version? With 2 leaders totaling 8 6 activation points, 2 towns, and a total of 18 pieces/side, plus a little terrain, at start? Four activations/turn. Sound good?

Pieces at Start:
2L6*
2Skr
3Cav
3Can
8Inf

*2L6 is 2 leader units totalling 6 activation points

Replacements and reinforcements can be optional rules. Play until total leader activation value drops below 4 or until a player has a friendly unit in an enemy city at the start of the friendly player's turn.

Reinforcements: On Turn 13, 1L2, 1Inf, and 1 unit of player's choice come on board. The leader unit is entered on either (empty) square directly "behind" either friendly city. The non-leader units are entered directly on the (empty) town squares. All units are entered at the beginning of the player's turn, and may be activated normally on that turn. If one or more pieces do not have an available empty entry square, they are brought in when one is available. Players may voluntarily delay entry.

Replacements: Replacements enter the board, in an empty friendly city, 2 or more turns after the replacement becomes available. Rate is 1 in 3.

All Basic Game rules apply. All optional rules players agree upon apply.

Will this do? I haven't playtested it yet. It will be a very simple, more abstract-strategy-like game than wargame I suspect, but it will speed up the learning process. However, it'll likely feel that it's been pushed halfway back to Chieftain Chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joejoyce wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
joejoyce wrote:
sundaysilence wrote:
is there a link to "Border War" or some more information on that one? I could not follow what that post was about..
I am really not good with setting things up here. The Border War scenario is described in the complete rules, for which a link is at the bottom of the page.
Um, there are no links possible at the "bottom" of a discussion thread?

Do you want to set this up as a Google doc; it can be made public and you can edit it at anytime (or give out editing rights if needs be; or save successive versions; and so on). Also others can make copies and "fiddle" if that is what they need to do...
Derek, thank you for the kindly offer of help. I need it! I'm going to post the rules, sans pictures, in this thread also, for Russ. But I don't even know how to hook these discussions to the game page. And that page doesn't have the latest scenarios and rules currently, which I am still working on, as described in this thread. So yes, whatever a Google doc is, if it is readily publicly available and it lets me update conveniently, I'm in favor of. Let me have a few hours to make lunch for the family and get my stuff together. Thanks!
Ok - the document is up...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H2lCCsOKyQmtgfQ3PjE0f45B...

If you PM me, I'll give you edit rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe as a faster game, I give it a thumb's up (if it works). But, what I was thinking of is a micro version that can be playable with a chess set (maybe with a few other pieces) in order to have something for people with chess sets to be able to try as a demo game.

The game would likely be more chess-like than a wargame, but does show people. Idea is to have the game playable in like 30 to 60 minutes. And then, after people play, people will think, "That is interesting, but you know what it could really use..." and that is the more advanced game.

Pretty much do pieces and leaders, and not worry about anything else. Could make it so the object of the game is to capture one enemy leader.

I do believe our experiment on a Byzantine Chessboard did show some potential here.

joejoyce wrote:
docreason wrote:

I said you need a version that would be playable in less than 1.5 hours, so people can get familiar with it.

How about a 12x12 version? With 2 leaders totaling 8 activation points, 2 towns, and a total of 18 pieces/side, plus a little terrain, at start? Four activations/turn. Sound good?

Pieces at Start:
2L6
2Skr
3Cav
3Can
8Inf

Replacements and reinforcements can be optional rules. Play until total leader activation value drops below 4 or until a player has a friendly unit in an enemy city at the start of the friendly player's turn.

Reinforcements: On Turn 13, 1L2, 1Inf, and 1 unit of player's choice come on board. The leader unit is entered on either (empty) square directly "behind" either friendly city. The non-leader units are entered directly on the (empty) town squares. All units are entered at the beginning of the player's turn, and may be activated normally on that turn. If one or more pieces do not have an available empty entry square, they are brought in when one is available. Players may voluntarily delay entry.

Replacements: Replacements enter the board, in an empty friendly city, 2 or more turns after the replacement becomes available. Rate is 1 in 3.

All Basic Game rules apply. All optional rules players agree upon apply.

Will this do? I haven't playtested it yet. It will be a very simple, more abstract-strategy-like game than wargame I suspect, but it will speed up the learning process. However, it'll likely feel that it's been pushed halfway back to Chieftain Chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:

http://play.chessvariants.org/pbm/play.php?game%3Dmicro-mini...

Rules are found in a drop-down from the menu bar under "related items".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
The scenarios don't have to be this accurate. It's more important to pre-built them, just like in other wargames, so that the players can immediately dive into the action.
If the essence of a battle can be simulated or if the battles/scenarios are specifically accurate is a nice bonus. But like you said, its hard to achieve this (balancing, size, etc.).
A game that I became aware of recently can give a good example. It's Jungdeutschlands Schlachtenspiel (a Halma based wargame from 1912). The game had a supplement with battle examples:

[click picture to change size]
Depicted here is the battle of Torgau 1760.
A good thing about the The Warlord Games is, that it's very flexible, adaptable and usable for different eras (Napoleonic, WW2, etc.). Even fantasy is doable, Orcs versus Humans e.g. :-)
"Hidden units" rules with dummy counters sounds very interesting, it adds a Fog of War element. Great idea!
One thing I have noticed while playing the Border War scenario is, that I tend to "overanalyze" the positions. Therefore I'm planning to use a timer of some sort.
On the other side I love to play the Border War scenario over several days, too, by playing some turns, let the game rest and play some more turns the next day. It also helps when playing solitaire.
Thank you for the comments. I've created 2 complete scenarios, with badly hand-drawn maps and orders of battle. The first is the 12x24 introductory scenario, A Tale of Two Countries, which can be broken into 2 smaller 12x12 baby intros. This is essentially similar to Border War and the other scenarios I've posted, in that the total number of actions per turn starts at about 1/4th of the pieces in the game. At this scale, each piece is army or corps size, and there's a lot of inertia in the armies. This changes as the armies get smaller, but there is always a strong element of logistics in the game.

The second scenario, The Battle of Macysburg, is played at a totally different scale. Played on a 32x32, Macysburg is a meeting engagement between 2 armies of 4 corps/12 divisions each, totalling 84 pieces/side. Each commander comes on the field with as many pieces as that commander can activate, and all pieces in command range may be activated each turn. (I even had a second leader piece created that combines the moves of the cannon and cavalry, so it can keep up with its command, but have not yet worked it into the game - ie: haven't made the pieces yet, still letting my hands heal from the first batch.)

Where the previous scenarios walked, Macysburg flies. Moving your entire army each turn is easy; very few units will start a turn out of command range, and generally those can easily be brought into command range during the turn, allowing them to move. Players may have an army of 50 pieces at some point on Day 2, fighting along a 20 - 30 square front. This is a game of maneuver and attrition, and if you screw up your maneuvering, you can see your army shattered in a few turns. The game is set up to force the action. Pieces enter the game all around the board, with Day 2's axis of advance perpendicular to Day 1's. And now I have to make lunch. The 2 game boards are in the Warlord picture gallery, and rules, orders of battle, too much discussion on my part, all will follow after lunch and maybe a chore or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A Tale of Two Countries

Map squares legend: green - forest; brown - mountains; dark blue crosshatch - Blue home city; light blue - alternate set-up location for Blue city; dark red crosshatch - Red home city; light red - alternate set-up location for Red city.

Victory:
Have one of your units in an enemy home city at the beginning of your turn, or reduce your opponent's total leader activation value below 8.

All basic rules are used. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H2lCCsOKyQmtgfQ3PjE0f45B...

Each player gets 8 action points to apportion as desired, except on Turn 1, where the first player only gets 4 action points.

At Start:
Each player deploys
4 Leaders*, 1 in each home city
14 Infantry,
6 Skirmishers,
6 Cannon,
6 Cavalry, all directly adjacent to a home city.
At the end of deployment, each player will have 36 pieces in or "touching" their friendly cities.
*Choose among these values: (7,3,3,3) (5,5,3,3) (4,4,4,4) or any other combination of 4 leaders totalling 16 activation points.

Turn 13 start:
Each player deploys
1 Inf, 1 Skr, 1 Can, & 1 Cav, in empty home cities;
2 Leaders**, totalling 8, in the empty square directly behind any 2 friendly cities.
These pieces' entries may be delayed 1 or more turns until a deployment square becomes empty, or for any or no reason.
**Choose among these values: (7,1) (6,2) (5,3) or (4,4).

Turns 25 & 37 start:
1 Inf, 1 Skr, 1 Can, & 1 Cav, in empty home cities.

Replacements:
Each player gets 1 unit back for every 4 casualties of that unit type.
The first three casualties are placed in the killed box, and the 4th is returned to the owning player, to come on board 2 (or more) turns after it becomes available, in any empty home city.

Alternate city set-up:
Home cities may be set up in any one of the 4 squares indicated for each potential city location, with the following limitation. Each city must be in a different relative position in its own 2x2 potential set-up area. So if one city is in the upper left corner of its 2x2 set-up area, no other friendly city can be put in the upper left corner square of its setup area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Macysburg

Map squares legend: green - woods; brown - hills; grey crosshatch - town.

Victory:
Tactical - be in control of all Macysburg squares after 36 (day) turns.
Operational - chase opponent's army off board by turn 36.
Strategic - destroy opponent's army, reducing it to 20 or fewer units.

Rules:
All basic rules are used.
Infantry quick march is used.
Replacements and night moves may be used.

Each player gets 84 action points/turn, allowing each to move that player's entire army every turn. Otherwise, standard command control rules are used. Note: it is probably easiest to check for all units out of command at the beginning of each player's turn, and mark them. Generally, they are few and can be brought into command easily during the turn, then moved.

Order of Battle:
Blue ............................. Red
At Start:
A L7, 6I, 1S ............. a L8, 7Cv, 1S
B L6, 5I, 1S ............. b L7, 6I, 1S
C L5, 4Cv, 1S .......... c L4, 3I, 1S

Turn 5:
B L8, 7Cn, 1S .......... b L7, 6I, 1S
C L6, 5I, 1S ............. c L5, 4Cn, 1S
D L4, 3Cv, 1S ......... d L5, 4Cn, 1S

Turn 15:
E L7, 6I, 1S ............ e L8, 7Cv, 1S
D L6, 5I, 1S ............ d L7, 6I, 1S
C L5, 4Cv, 1S ......... c L3, 2Cn, 1S

Turn 20:
F L8, 7Cn, 1S ......... f L9, 8I, 1S
E L6, 5I, 1S ............ e L5, 4CN, 1S
D L4, 3Cv, 1S ......... d L4, 3I, 1S

Placement of units:
The leader is placed directly on the labeled square (a/A, b/B...) and the other pieces are placed in the 8 squares directly around the leader, in any order the owning player wishes. A tenth piece arriving at a location will be placed to one side or the other of the first nine; it may not be placed closer to the center of the board than 3 squares.

Optional Rules

Rallying the Troops

Replacements:
The replacement rate is 1 per 3 casualties of each type. These are considered rallied units, and they come in during night turns.

Night Turns:
After each 12 regular turns, night falls. Night turns are not marked on the turn record track, as they are optional. If used, they occur between turns 12 and 13, 24 and 25, 36 and 37, etc.
1) Both players mark all their units that are adjacent to enemy units.
2) The first player moves all marked units 1 square farther away from all or the maximum number of enemy units possible. Any friendly units that block such movement are themselves marked and moved. When a unit is moved, the marker is taken off it.
3) The second player moves all marked units 1 square farther away from all or the maximum number of enemy units possible. Any friendly units that block such movement are themselves marked and moved. When a unit is moved, the marker is taken off it.
4) If there are still enemy units in direct contact, repeat steps 1 to 3 until there are no more opposing units in adjacent squares.
5) Now both players place their own replacements, one at a time, on top of their leaders. All leaders must get 1 replacement before any leader gets 2, etc.
6) Players move replacements off leaders, one square farther away from all or the maximum number of enemy units. Blocking units (are marked and) also moved back 1 square, until all replacements are off leaders.
7) Mark all units that are in range of any enemy unit(s), that is, all pieces that could be captured by one move.
8) First player moves marked pieces one square "away", then second player. Repeat until no units on either side can be captured with one move.
9) Start the next day move.

Comment:
This somewhat elaborate procedure is necessary to prevent the first player from bringing rallied troops in that can immediately capture one or more of the second players units. These rules were worked out during a playtest of Macysburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joejoyce wrote:
...Optional Rules

Rallying the Troops

Replacements:
The replacement rate is 1 per 3 casualties of each type. These are considered rallied units, and they come in during night turns.

Night Turns:
After each 12 regular turns, night falls. Night turns are not marked on the turn record track, as they are optional. If used, they occur between turns 12 and 13, 24 and 25, 36 and 37, etc.
1) Both players mark all their units that are adjacent to enemy units.
2) The first player moves all marked units 1 square farther away from all or the maximum number of enemy units possible...

Ran into a bit of a problem during another playtest of Macysburg. On turn 12, Red, moving second, made a cavalry charge into Blue's flank, leaving 4 Red cavalry units with no leader intermixed with Blue's right flank. Night falls. According to the rules above, the armies must separate now, allowing Red's cavalry to disengage and move back toward their lines without any casualties, when if Blue had a normal turn, all 4 Red units would be eliminated immediately. It also swings the balance of captures toward Red by 4 pieces. The whole situation was blatantly unfair, but night was falling, and Blue couldn't take turn 13, and then have night fall, because you're just reversing the unfairness, not addressing it. I decided on a continuation of combat rule.

Continuation of Combat:

1) All pieces in contact with one or more enemy units when night falls get marked and must move 1 square, but may move toward the enemy instead of away, capturing and/or moving adjacent to enemy units.

2) Only units in command range of a friendly leader may move toward or capture enemy units at night. All out of command range units may never attack, but must move away from enemy units.

3) This continues, which each player marking adjacent units, and alternately moving all their marked units 1 square, until all surviving opposing units are no longer in contact.

4) Then rallied troops are placed, and the night turn sequence of play continues from there.

This is not perfect, but I believe it addresses the problem adequately. However, I did not dream up the idea of night turns, but remembered playing a game (ACW, I think) where the armies did have to disengage at night. Is anyone aware of games that have dealt successfully with this issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My website is still under construction. So I have made a Game Courier preset http://play.chessvariants.org/pbm/play.php?game%3DCaM%3A+A+T... that allows 2 people to play by email, or essentially in real time. Registering is free, and easy - if you have any problems, I'm an editor there, so let me know and I'll get it fixed.

Given that "Warlord" was already taken when I used it, I've renamed the games as the Command and Maneuver series, because I did not find that anywhere.

Should anyone be interested, the scenario at chessvariants.org (yes, you can play more than chess there!) is the introductory scenario for the game series. It's challenging but not overly difficult. If you would like to try it, with me or someone else, please contact me and I'll set it up.

This is a playable, introductory version only, using the board generation software and available icons at chessvariants. The look is not at all representative of the PnP version I hope to have online very soon, but it does give you some of the feel.

EDIT: Here is a link to a game in progress:
http://play.chessvariants.org/pbm/play.php?game=CaM%3A+A+Tal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joe, I found the podcast you mentioned where your game was discussed:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1024013/postcast-on-the-game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
Hey Joe, I found the podcast you mentioned where your game was discussed:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1024013/postcast-on-the-game
Yeah, but how do I link it to the game page, say my part runs from 51:14 to 1:06:15, or change the games' overall name to Command and Maneuver, or even access the Warlord page to edit it? It's sad, being a dinosaur. (And according to the podcast, obvious!)

And my current graphics/website guy seems to have died, judging from recent communications. What is it with these guys? (Yep, it's obvious.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
Just read this thread. I have recently acquired Strategoes published in 1880. http://books.google.ca/books?id=0XIKAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontc...

Among other things, a chess variant called "The Battle Game" is included. 48 X 40 squares. (although the board width should be considered limitless!?, moving a detachment laterally to flank your enemy is a major operation cost wise)

Two, of the more interesting concepts for designers to consider.

1. Pieces of the same type must gain a "preponderance" to take an enemy piece. Put another way, two pieces that can mutually take each other are "neutralized" and need an additional piece to take the enemy.

2. Pieces that are vital to your side but have no power to capture the enemy. baggage train or colours for example. This allows for more than one way to win a game. Take enemy general/king, destroy the baggage train, or capture half the enemy colours.

Each side gets a certain amount of points to move pieces, capture enemy etc. You have the option of spending more points (your reserve) when you like. Captures cost different amount of points depending when you make them during your turn. (Before/after movement)

Units are, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Engineers, Breastworks, Generals, CiC, Baggage, and General Staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
appb1 wrote:
Just read this thread. I have recently acquired Strategoes published in 1880. http://books.google.ca/books?id=0XIKAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontc...

Among other things, a chess variant called "The Battle Game" is included. 48 X 40 squares. (although the board width should be considered limitless!?, moving a detachment laterally to flank your enemy is a major operation cost wise)

Two, of the more interesting concepts for designers to consider.

1. Pieces of the same type must gain a "preponderance" to take an enemy piece. Put another way, two pieces that can mutually take each other are "neutralized" and need an additional piece to take the enemy.

2. Pieces that are vital to your side but have no power to capture the enemy. baggage train or colours for example. This allows for more than one way to win a game. Take enemy general/king, destroy the baggage train, or capture half the enemy colours.

Each side gets a certain amount of points to move pieces, capture enemy etc. You have the option of spending more points (your reserve) when you like. Captures cost different amount of points depending when you make them during your turn. (Before/after movement)

Units are, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Engineers, Breastworks, Generals, CiC, Baggage, and General Staff.
Thank you very much for the reference. This is the 2nd "military chess" game from the 19th Century referenced in this thread, and it is far more similar to the other game of its time than either is to my game. The reason is simple, of course. Those 2 games attempt to reproduce as accurately as possible military formations, military, situations, and military outcomes as closely as possible. Some sort of action point system seems intrinsic to all 3 games, as well as a "standardized" value for each type of piece. And leadership - as befitting a chesslike game, I suppose - seems an inescapable part of these sorts of games. Lol, it's one thing to be anticipated. It's another to be anticipated by over a century!

Those games are intended to train soldiers, whereas mine is strictly for entertainment. I am not at all trying to re-create reality as closely as possible as a training aid. Instead, I am trying to simulate a wargame as simply and easily as possible. All pieces have simple chesslike moves, not "realistic" moves. Terrain and terrain rules are extremely abstract and simple. Combat is even simpler. Merely legally move a piece onto an opposing piece, stop there, and remove the opposing piece. All moves are controlled by "leaders" of varying capacity which allow units within 1 or 2 squares of them to move, moving as many as the "value" of the leader. That's it, the basic idea, and it works far better than I'd anticipated.

However, to simulate wargames more closely, I've found I must add rules for reinforcements, replacements, and rallied troops. The "3 R's" do complicate the game a bit, but give a higher-quality and much more interesting game. Consequently, I'm interested in other things that would do the same, and your reference is very likely to give me good direction toward that end. Thank you, Bill. Fwiw, you can grab a copy from my still-under-construction website: anotherlevel-games.com. Sadly, I'm a dinosaur, and have found to my dismay that I am more capable of erasing or totally screwing up everything than I am at making it look decent. So the site is ugly and needs a lot of work. Still, you can download the game and make your own copy, if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks Joe,
The webpage looks great. BTW you could build a vassal module quite easily with the counters and map terrain you have on the page. This would allow for playtesting of any future designs with people online.Testing new ideas, Larger boards, etc.

I would certainly volunteer to play the game!
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
appb1 wrote:
Thanks Joe,
The webpage looks great. BTW you could build a vassal module quite easily with the counters and map terrain you have on the page. This would allow for playtesting of any future designs with people online.Testing new ideas, Larger boards, etc.

I would certainly volunteer to play the game!
Bill
Hey, Bill, thank you. I'm glad you didn't find the website too disorganized. And I am aware of Vassal, which I will try to learn in between NCAA basketball games over the next several days. This does bring up one point, my love-hate relationship with modern technology. As a reference point, I keep the slide rule I used in college under an abacus on my encyclopedia bookshelves. I don't even know how to put a tip jar on my website, and I actually have a PayPal account. But I think Vassal has to be the way to go for me because I am somewhat desperate for playtesters. And I thank you very much for offering to try the game. When/if I figure Vassal out, I'll post here again, looking for playtesters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
joejoyce wrote:
I keep the slide rule I used in college under an abacus on my encyclopedia bookshelves.
I had a slide rule in middle school, and also an Addiator (!), but I ended up using an electronic calculator more. Wish I still had those mechanical calculators... no idea what happened to them.

We did get a soroban as a gift recently... I keep meaning to learn and practice it...

Quote:
I don't even know how to put a tip jar on my website, and I actually have a PayPal account.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donate-intro-outs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
Joe,
If you don't mind, I can have a vassal module built for you by the weekend.
It will have your unit and map graphics and be completely editable by you. As far as further distribution I will leave that control up to you.

Cheers,
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
appb1 wrote:
Joe,
If you don't mind, I can have a vassal module built for you by the weekend.
It will have your unit and map graphics and be completely editable by you. As far as further distribution I will leave that control up to you.

Cheers,
Bill
Bill,

I certainly don't mind and I can't thank you enough. Guess that means I should register ... okay, that seemed to work. I now have a Vassal account. Next I'm off to try Russ' link. As for playtesting, I'd be happy to play any or all of the 3 scenarios in this thread, Border War, A Tale of Two Countries, or The Battle of Macysburg. Macysburg is currently the most recently completed quality scenario, and is the only one of the three that has not been playtested by anyone other than me.

Thanks again,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
Well this is what "A Tale of Two Countries" looks like,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
appb1 wrote:

Wow, that almost looks like a game! I started looking over the VASSAL instructions, but have yet to seriously dig into them. I did mention basketball, and my old hometown team played earlier today, and won handily (Syracuse University) while my college team (Manhattan College) is starting a game right now where they will probably be crushed by Louisville. SO I admit to some distraction right now. I need to look closely at what you've done, maybe fine-tune it a little, and actually learn how you did it. The manual is 107(?) pages long for how to build a VASSAL module... ow! But the Introductory scenario looks real pretty! Lol, and in the meantime, my son managed to wipe out my website. Normally he's excellent, but about once a decade, he really demolishes something I ask for. Glad I didn't comment about it on Perfidious Albion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
appb1 wrote:
Aaargh! Both my NCAA teams lost, and I don't know where this module is! Double frustration! I'm dying to try it out. Do want to make 1 change, swapping the "move 3 squares" leaders out and the "move 2 squares" leaders into the set-up, but other than that, can't wait to give it a test run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
Saw the Syracuse game, what a heartbreaker.

I'll add the Leaders with a 2 square move to the module. I haven't sent the module. Would you like to recieve it by email?

BTW I am not very computer savvy but building/editing modules is very easy, especially straight forward ones like this.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
appb1 wrote:
Saw the Syracuse game, what a heartbreaker.

I'll add the Leaders with a 2 square move to the module. I haven't sent the module. Would you like to recieve it by email?

BTW I am not very computer savvy but building/editing modules is very easy, especially straight forward ones like this.

Bill
Yeah, unfortunately the B team showed up last night. Most coaches would be happy to win 83% of their games. But 28-6 represents a total collapse for the Orange - guess that's an indication of just how good the program really is. Too bad it doesn't feel good!

Just GM'ed you my email. Looking forward to learning how to put together more games. As well as more Command and Maneuver scenarios, got a few other games that I'd like to get out there. One question about VASSAL - are the instructions for making modules somewhat confusing, or am I just an idiot? Been bouncing around a bit in the instructions, and haven't seen a step-by-step guide yet. Guess I got a bit to learn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
Hello Joe,
Module has been sent.

I built my first module by trial and error. (little or no user manual read) The builder is quite intuative.

I would suggest you play around with the Command and Maneuver module. Open it up, start a game, and see how things work. Then close out of the game and right click on the module in your vassal window and select edit module. This will let you see how things are organized. (As long as you don't save at the end, any changes you make won't take effect)

As far as testing scenarios we could do that with the module via Vassal and Skype. That way I could talk you through the Vassal capabilities and you can tell me what a bad chess player I am!

Judging by the response to this thread I'm sure others will want to test new scenarios or just play one already designed, or test/suggest their own.

BTW, the module is yours as the game design is yours. I'm happy to help and look forward to playing the game.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |