Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving from one of my favorite Reiner Knizia games to yet another: Samurai. This time, Mark joined Tom and I, as we tried to rally the peasants, religious and military leaders to our side in our struggle to gain control of feudal Japan.

Samurai contains one of Knizia’s legendary scoring mechanisms. I describe it as a football season: in order to have a chance to win the Super Bowl, you must first make the playoffs. In Samurai, you must first gather a majority in at least one of the three categories in order to have a chance at winning. So, one must resist the temptation to simply grab as many figures as possible, Instead, one’s first priority must be to gather at least one majority. Failure to do so nullifies any chance at victory.

I try to focus on this pursuit whenever I play Samurai, and it worked yet again this time. Actually, it worked better than I planned, as I managed to acquire majorities in two categories: farmers and religious leaders. This was enough to give me a “first round” victory.

Finals:

Military: Tom 5, Mark 3, Greg 2
Farmers: Greg 4, Mark 3, Tom 2
Religious: Greg 5, Mark 1, Tom 1

Ratings: Tom 8.5, Greg 8, Mark 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.