Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This week's statistic of the week is a bit early because I probably won't get a chance to post later this week. This week's stat is the
flip side of last week's (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/671786#671786) -- games that very few people (by percentage) want to trade away.

Of course, there are a great many games with a handful of owners, none of whom want to trade it, so I took three arbitrary thresholds, 200 owners, 500 owners and 1000 owners and listed the games that had the least trade offers for this game. This data was collected last week at the same time as the other data so it may not be 100% in sync with the db today, but good enough. I list N, the minimum number of owners, F, the fraction who are willing to trade, and the game name along with the BGG ID.

It's an eclectic mix, including a very valuable, hard-to-find item, traditional games most people probably don't think of trading, a game that has been out a while and are still available retail and a few brand new games.

Games people want to hold on to
N F Game
200 0/399=0% RoboRally - Radioactive (1966)
0/278=0% Bridge (2181)
1/249=0.4% Zombies!!! 4: The End (10167)
500 1/502=0.2% Poker (1115)
3/753=0.4% Checkers (2083)
3/572=0.5% Carcassonne - Princess & Dragon (15158)
1000 8/2453=0.3% Chess (171)
8/1520=0.5% Backgammon (2397)
15/1984=0.8% Carcassonne - Traders & Builders (5405)
9/1088=0.8% Ticket To Ride Europe (14996)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I can trade you Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge! All I require is Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I'd be intersted in seeing what the top ones are after removing the traditonal games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin, you can even offer to throw in Poker for free, and point out how no one else is willing to trade it away seeing as it's sweeping the nation and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it likely that no-one bothers to list traditional games for trade because they just don't think anyone would bother?

After all, you can get chess, checkers, backgammon and a deck of cards all in the same box in just about every retail store, gas station and supermarket in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd throw out the open domain games like bridge, or chess. And so with the more specific titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
The list would make more sense if the "public domain" games like Chess, Poker, Backgammon and Bridge were thrown out. I mean it's not like anyone is really in the market to trade for those games, in general, anyway. (Maybe specific boards or sets, but not in general). Keeping these games in the list simply dilutes the list and obscures the interesing information the list has to offer.

I'm surprised Tic-Tac-Toe isn't on the list... but then I'm surprised that people would actual say the "own" Poker, Bridge, Chess or Backgammon... I mean, who doesn't? If you own a deck of cards, you've got Poker and Bridge... and Hearts, Spades, Old Maid and Cribbage too. Why list them as "owned"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. Brand name games only would make more sense. And "Games that have been out at least a year" would be even more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Noneyobusiness
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hey, I have a rare COMPLETE Poker deck available for trade! It'll have to be for something good though... these are hard to come by nowadays. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm surprised Tic-Tac-Toe isn't on the list... but then I'm surprised that people would actual say the "own" Poker, Bridge, Chess or Backgammon... I mean, who doesn't? If you own a deck of cards, you've got Poker and Bridge... and Hearts, Spades, Old Maid and Cribbage too. Why list them as "owned"?

I list a "traditional" game as owned if :

- I actually own the materials to play it
- I know the rules by heart or I have them written and stored with the game
- I played the game at least a couple of times

For this reason I "own" Chess, Checkers, Poker, Briscola but I "don't own" Spades altough I have a deck of 52 cards.

Maurizio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
kimbo wrote:

For me, I list public domain, common component games as owned when I own at least one book dedicated to the game or a set of parts exclusively dedicated to the game. Thus, since I own over 50 books on Bridge, I list Bridge as "owned". I also own books dedicated to Hearts and Spades, so I list them. In contrast, I own no books dedicated to Poker, and would never dream of using my poker chips to actually play Poker, so I don't list it as owned. I don't own a book dedicated to 500, but have a deck of cards for the 6 player version of the game, and thus count it.

As to why - that's simple. If I didn't list Bridge as owned, there would be a game I rate a 10, but don't bother to own. There are a couple of games I rate a 9 but don't own, but they're at the top of my acquisition list (and I now have one of the two on its way). So by listing Bridge, and other public domain, common component games as "owned", I avoid the situation of an inaccurate count of games I need to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
For me, I list public domain, common component games as owned when I own at least one book dedicated to the game or a set of parts exclusively dedicated to the game. Thus, since I own over 50 books on Bridge, I list Bridge as "owned". I also own books dedicated to Hearts and Spades, so I list them. In contrast, I own no books dedicated to Poker, and would never dream of using my poker chips to actually play Poker, so I don't list it as owned. I don't own a book dedicated to 500, but have a deck of cards for the 6 player version of the game, and thus count it.

As to why - that's simple. If I didn't list Bridge as owned, there would be a game I rate a 10, but don't bother to own. There are a couple of games I rate a 9 but don't own, but they're at the top of my acquisition list (and I now have one of the two on its way). So by listing Bridge, and other public domain, common component games as "owned", I avoid the situation of an inaccurate count of games I need to acquire.

Dang Joe, there's no point in discussing this if you insist on using logic... Seriously, you've thought about this, haven't you? Hear that noise? It's my paradigm shifting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read about a public domain game I want to play that I can easily play with items on hand in the house, I list it as owned so that I can see it whenever I scan my list of "owned" games for something to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
davidme wrote:
When I read about a public domain game I want to play that I can easily play with items on hand in the house, I list it as owned so that I can see it whenever I scan my list of "owned" games for something to play.

Ding ding ding! I do this for the same reason, and know at least one other Geek who uses this logic. I also have Hattrick marked as "owned," even though I don't have a distinct copy of the game; I DO, however, own a copy of Sticheln with the right number of cards and the rules for that game included with the deck.

I don't think I've marked Spades as "owned," though; I'm not really sure why, except it seems kind of silly to me.

On a side note, would anyone else be interested in seeing our collections sorted by "pwned!" status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.