Popular Tags: [View All]
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings moderators

I have sent 6 games submissions and 1 review of Caylus in the past 4 weeks. Kindly note they are still pending. Are there still delays in approving submissions?

Kind regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
4 weeks isn't all that unusual.

Hang on, it'll come along eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are very behind on new game submissions.

After BGG.CON I think I will be implementing a new way for user submitted content to be approved. It's very hard to keep up with the hundreds of items a day, no matter how many admins we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Champion Eternal wrote:

I have sent 6 games submissions and 1 review of Caylus in the past 4 weeks. Kindly note they are still pending. Are there still delays in approving submissions?

Pretty much, there are are always delays because there is a huge queue which never gets emptied completely because (fortunately) people keep submitting content. At the moment, the submissions queue has just over 1000 items in it, most of those new games submissions.

The new games queue in particular often gets processed quite slowly because of the effort involved in verifying games. The current new games submissions are backlogged about 7 weeks. The queues don't always get processed in strict order, but usually they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mkgray wrote:
The new games queue in particular often gets processed quite slowly because of the effort involved in verifying games.

Being able to submit photos of a new game entry might go a long way to providing some evidence of a games existence.

I usually have photos I want to submit w/ a new game, but the current process required that I submit the game, wait for its approval, then submit the photos and wait for their approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that allowing the users to submit one or two pictures at the same time they submit a game could greatly accelerate the verification and approval process.

Maurizio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see submission of pictures decoupled from submission of reviews too.

For example, I tend to use pictures in my reviews - as if you were reading in a games magazine - and often have the pictures submitted and approved before I can submit/preview the review.

This issue, as well as new game approval, is similar to the decision process and group review process that Wikipedia has. Or for that matter, any WIKI.

It would be interesting to see another creative approach, but I also think there is the possibiity of loosening some controls and turning content monitoring over to the BGG community at large. Perhaps users could be granted Content Management/Review authority?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a shortage of ideas for how to mitigate this problem. The shortage is in time to implement the ideas correctly.

Adding many people to the existing content approval process would only marginally improve the processing rate and risks doing a lot more damage to the database (even by accident) than it is worth.

Switching to a standard Wiki-style content moderation would be a massive undertaking in code and would have some disadvantages over the current system. For that matter, the BGG Wiki of days past had some issues so I'm not sure it would be ideal, anyway.

Enabling submission of images with game submissions or other content is an idea that's been "in the queue" forever and no doubt would help, however even so basic a feature as this requires time, effort and testing to get written. It hasn't gotten done yet. (And besides, I think while it would help there would still be big issues. The number of image submissions we get that are straight copied off of manufacturers web sites without permission is huge.)

I think everyone is doing so, but keep in mind that BGG is not a day job for anyone. Aldie and Derk and all of us other admins do this in our spare time. Even if it's not really intended, there is often the tone taken that someone should "just add this feature" as though it were a button to press. It takes work.

All that said, it seems likely some sort of user-assisted moderation will occur at some point, but in the meantime, patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
... but in the meantime, patience.

Alright! Patient I shall be...

Many thanks for the replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not want someone to get the wrong idea here. There's no doubt in my mind that this is a "side job", after hours and done for love of gaming. I never for once think that changes to the code would be easy nor quick.

I imagine most of the members here have more than a passing knowledge about software development and have the utmost respect for what it takes to create and maintain a site like this. I've been in the software development business for > 20 years and helped launch many internet based software projects. I know this is not a simple job to do.

My recommendation about the WIKI concept is based upon the open or distributed responsibility model, aka Cathderal and Bazaar. I'm sure switching to a WIKI would be both a lot of coding work - even when beginning with existing WIKI designs because of the features of this site that would be bad to lose - and a lot content migration.

I don't think that making 9 women pregnant would deliver the baby any sooner, but I also believe there is a sweet spot in reviewers staff that changes as the web site evolves.

Thanks goes to all for making this a great site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.