Subject: Keythedral Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kings-Lynne
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
This strategy guide aims to describe what you should be doing at each level of the Keythedral available tiles, plus some general strategy.

Initial Placement
-----------------

* Get lots of black and brown. Have at least one of green, blue and red.
* Spread out your cottages. You don't want to compete with yourself!
* Never give anyone else's cottage an extra tile when you place
* When placing a cottage, avoid placing a number that matches any surrounding cottages.

Level 4
-------

* Concentrate on getting lots of brown and black from your workers
* Upgrade quickly to at least four houses
* Build a fence or two
* Buy some 4 point tiles
* Make sure you have two blue and two green cubes going into Level 6

Level 6
-------

* Still concentrate on brown and black until you've upgraded all cottages. Get the odd blue and green.
* Start collecting one or two red cubes.
* Buy some 6 point tiles
* Build a fence or two
* For the next stage black is no longer required, but you will need several brown cubes ready.
* There is a single white cube tile in Level 8 that you may wish to prepare for.

Level 8
-------

* Black cubes are not required anymore unless you have unupgraded cottages
* Start collecting more red cubes in preparation for Level 10
* Buy some 8 point tiles
* Build a fence or two
* Get a gold, white and purple cube in preparation for Level 10 (Trade 2:1 black and brown cubes if you have them left over.)

Level 10
--------

* Brown cubes are not required anymore unless you need to place a fence
* Buy as many 10 point tiles as you can
* Get a gold, white and purple cube in preparation for Level 12

Level 12
--------

* Buy as many 12 point tiles as you can

General Tips
------------

* Be careful before buying the LAST tile in a point group. Everyone else will have first choice of the new tiles. If possible, wait until several other players have dropped out with Law cards before purchasing. Always ensure you have the prerequisite cubes for the next level so that you can at least buy a few new tiles before the end of the phase.

* Law cards are decent and cheap, but only buy one if you really have nothing else to do as they're not THAT great. Think carefully before going out with a law card when there is a single tile remaining in a group - the other players might be trying the tactic above.

* Use production bonus law cards when you have houses. Try to grab starting player for the round when you intend to use them. Basically max the production bonus as high as possible.

* When placing fences, try to place them so that a single fence gives you exclusive access to a resource. Often if you place a fence so that it blocks only one of two opponents, half the time the remaining opponent will still get that resource. Your initial placement should help with this.

* Place two fences relatively early for the same reason you convert to houses early - it's a payoff for the rest of the game. Always keep a fence handy (and maybe two red cubes) for Level 10 when wine suddenly becomes important and people will fence you off from them. (And you want to fence them off too of course.)

* See my other strategy article on the cost/points of the tiles. They are all the same. Many players don't see 4 point tiles as being attractive, so you can probably buy many of them. However, do not get behind in the race for upgraded cottages - keeping up in cottages and fences is more important at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that having all 5 Cottages converted to Houses is a waste, as I never get to place 10 Workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kings-Lynne
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Yes, I usually stop at four. However the problem is WHICH FOUR?

And if for most of the game you're on four and everyone else is on five, do you end up with an overall (statistical) disadvantage? And if everyone else is on four and you're on five, does that give you an overall (statistical) advantage?

I'm not sure I know the answer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitchett
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will never have 10 workers but having 5 cities can help cut off your opponents. It should make it easier for you to get 6 or 8 cubes and keep oppenents down to 4. imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chriskl wrote:

Level 4
-------

* Build a fence or two

* Place two fences relatively early for the same reason you convert to houses early - it's a payoff for the rest of the game.

Hmmm, i tried fences in Level 4, with bad results, because it is very easy to remove it, because the other players can use the red cubes, not so usefull at this time; and you can lose the fences forever.
Probably starting from the level 8 if a player puts a fence for a wood, it will be very expensive for the others players to pay 2 red to remove it, because to that level of the game the red ones are too valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Badger
England
Stratford upon Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 'Initial Placement', when placing a cottage I avoid placing numbers that match surrounding cottages of players on my right - those that play before you. But it can be advantageous to have the same number contesting a field where the player with the same numbered cottage is to your left and therefore most times will be playing after you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kings-Lynne
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah.

Another thing I've learnt is that you should try to arrange it during initial placement that for as many cottage as possible they are set up so that you can place a SINGLE fence to have EXCLUSIVE access to a nearby tile.

Fences that only cut out one of many competitors are almost always a waste of time it seems.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.