Thumb up
2 Posts

Penny Arcade: Paint The Line ECG – Red Tide» Forums » Variants

Subject: Doubles! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I think, just for fun, you should be able to play a game of doubles Paint the Line with four people and four decks.

In doubles ping pong, you play with two players on each team. Each player always receives the hit from the same one opponent for the duration of a game.

So if there's Team A and Team B

Player A1 servers the ball

Player B1 receives hits from Player A1

Player A2 receives hits from Player B1

Player B2 receives hits from Player A2

Player A1 receives hits from Player B2

Player B1 receives hits from Player A1

... and so on...

Does anyone see why this wouldn't work for Paint the Line? The only problem I can see is a logistical one. Two of the hit/receive relationships will be happening diagonally, and also, things could get messy with even more cards on the table. The diagonal play could make it more difficult to easily see the cards your opponent has in play.

I think in terms of gameplay, I think it should work fine, and it could be quite interesting. You'll have to work with your teammate on strategy since you'll always be hitting to the opponent that your teammate will receive from and you'll always be receiving from the other opponent that your teammate hits to.

I suppose you could also play a game of doubles with just two players (each player controls two decks), but the purpose of this for me would be to get more people together and for the fun of trying to coordinate and work with a partner.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hutchinson
United States
flag msg tools
I demoed Red Tide at PAX and overheard the developer discussing something very similar with another attendee. He said that they are working on an official doubles ruleset similar to this model, but he said he needs to playtest it a bit to tweek the values. He said they sometimes run into problems where the stronger cards might not come into play and he wanted to make sure that you won't get stuck with a hand full of 8 or 9 costing cards and 5 stamina on the table game after game. Also, to make this work you would need 2 sets of the game as each player needs their own deck, but it would be interesting to test out.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.