Subject: IND20Group Reviews Rolling Bones SimplyFun Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Boyer

msg tools

2-4 Players

20-30 minutes

Ages 7 and up

”The shipment has arrived from the archeological dig! It’s time to take inventory of the Skeleton parts by marking them down on your clipboard before they can be sent to the museum.”

Object of the game

Each player rolls the 18 dice on his or her turn and tries to complete as much of the skeleton as possible. You score points by completing and connecting to sections of the skeleton, and placing a skull allows you to earn more points. You must roll and place the Checkmark to end your turn and score any points for the round. You can try for a better score by re-rolling your dice, but each time you re-roll, it will cost you.

Game Setup

This is the easy part. Place the board in the middle of your table with all 18 dice then grab your score card, and that is pretty much it….

Game Play

To start your turn, roll all 18 dice at once.

After you have rolled your dice, you begin to place them on the appropriate spaces on the clipboard. The Skull obviously goes on top, followed by the Cervical Spine, Ribcage, Lumbar Spine and Pelvis. All of these dice are yellow in color and are placed on top of their clearly marked spots on your clipboard. You are trying to build the longest connected sequence of bones as possible. New bones can be added only if they connect directly to the sequence you create on this turn.

In this example you can see that the player rolled the Skull, the Rib Cage, the Lumbar Spine, and the Pelvis. Anything connected to the Ribcage down to the Pelvis can be kept as a connection. For instance, all of the leg on the left in RED can be kept because the left foot is connected to the Fibula, which is connected to the Femur, which is connected to the Pelvis. The hand in the upper left however is only connected to the upper arm, which is not connected to the Ribcage because the dice that would connect it to that sequence is missing. You would remove the upper left hand parts along with the bottom right foot piece since these parts aren’t connected to the sequence. There is a special rule that allows one to place a bone incorrectly to complete a sequence, however doing this results in a scoring penalty. I will get to scoring in just a bit.

Once you have collected your extra dice from the clipboard, you remove one of them from your pile as a cost for re-rolling. Each time you re-roll during a turn, the cost goes up.

Your initial roll uses all 18 dice.
Rolling a second time costs one dice, which is removed before the roll and set aside.
Rolling a third time costs two dice (three total set aside).
Rolling a fourth time costs three more dice (six total set aside).

You cannot re-roll if you cannot pay pay for it.

At any point, you can choose not to re-roll. If you have a decent amount of the skeleton completed, which amounts to points, AND a Checkmark is rolled, you may want to place the Checkmark which allows you to add your points and end your turn. Every time you re-roll, you risk not rolling a Checkmark. Placing a Checkmark is necessary for your points to get scored, and if you choose to re-roll, you cannot keep a Checkmark out.

Once you have placed a bone on the clipboard to connect to a sequence, you cannot remove it from the board. The only exception to this rule is the Skull. The skull can be pulled off the clipboard and used to re-roll. This comes in handy if you still need to roll a Checkmark to score your turn. Speaking of scoring…..

Here is how the scoring for Rolling Bones works:

you score 5 points for every body section you complete
Each bone placed correctly in an incomplete body section (connected to your longest sequence) scores as 1 point.
Each bone placed incorrectly in order to connect sequences will cost you a negative 5 points which is subtracted from your score.
The skull isn’t worth any points on its own, but if you manage to place it, it will double your total score.
In order to score any points, you must roll and place the Checkmark. If you fail to place the Checkmark on the clipboard, all your hard work rolling and placing goes to waste. This is why re-rolling the skull can be helpful in a pinch. Once you place the Checkmark, your skeleton is marked as finished and your turn ends.

After you have scored your turn, game play continues clockwise. The next player takes all 18 dice and takes their turn trying to complete the skeleton, and so on.

The game ends as soon as one player reaches the point goal.

50 points wins in a four player game.
75 points wins in a three player game.
100 points wins in a two player game.
or you can just make up any number that sounds fun.

My thoughts

I find this game pretty addicting. I sometimes play it as a one player game trying to see how many points I can accumulate after three rounds. This is a press your luck type of game based on risks and rewards. This game is a great tool for teaching kids the skeletal system. The back of the instruction manual also displays The Skeletal System with all the proper names and placements for the bones used in the game. This game also comes in a durable plastic carrying case with a handle making it very portable and easy to travel with. The components are all very good quality as well.

*All SimplyFun games can only be purchased through a SimplyFun Independent Consultant, and are not available through any other regular retail channel. I am an Independent Consultant for SimplyFun. All views and opinions that I express related to their products are my own and not influenced in any way by the company I represent. You can purchase this game as well as any other SimplyFun games by clicking on our company web-link below.*
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Southern Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review! I had no idea that there was a new version available for purchase now!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.