1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: casual reference to catan in buzzfeed article rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools

Buzzfeed is an aggregator that looks for viral content. It was created by one of the people behind Huffington Post. It has a lot of kitten related material.

What caught my eye was a casual reference to Settlers of Catan in this piece on a new online game.

Lantz has plans to spin the game off into different standalone installations, so new players can start the game-building process from the beginning. That would move Mercury out of MMORPG territory and put it closer to obsessive board games like Settlers of Catan, the kind of thing a small group of friends might play together without the thrill of competing with the hordes of the internet.

It catches my eye because the writer (a staffer) is assuming that enough readers will know what Settlers Of Catan is to make the reference worthwhile. I mean, it could have been any number of known games, but the writer picked SoC. Not a step change, but moves SoC closer to mainstream.

Or maybe the word "obsessive" is derogatory... "without the thrill"... ?
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.